PDA

View Full Version : What is the most fun (and probably most UNacademic) unit/lesson you've done?

Paula
08-05-2012, 12:12 PM
It's summer. Zany ideas abound. The other week, I got the idea to host an authentic 80s Saturday morning. I created a playlist on Youtube with a genuine cartoon-and-commercial lineup, bought secondhand toys from the 80s and researched The Breakfast Cereal Timeline (yes, it exists!) to find just the right breakfast food to enjoy. Anyway, it was blast! I'm not sure what my little guy learned, but it was a ton of fun. We're doing a 70s Saturday morning next weekend, and then the 60s and finishing off with the 50s (even though they didn't have the "Saturday morning" thing like the other decades did).

So I'm curious: what off-the-wall, zany, fun units/lessons/activities have you folks done? :p

Deli76
08-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Hes learning about timelines! And there is no other more funner way to do it! WTG!!! I am getting ready to do a lesson on timelines, I am not going to say what smelly bodily function she wanted to do ( what is with smelly bodily functions that kids love so much? ugh!), but I told her to pick another. She says lamps??? I can go back to the caveman days for that. YAY!

Avalon
08-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Paper airplanes. My son got a Klutz book of paper airplanes once and he and a friend spent the entire day making every airplane in the book and testing them outside. I decided to just ditch the regular school work for the day in favour of spontaneous science.

Also, they spent another day looking up catapults and trebuchets on the internet, found a bunch of YouTube videos on how to make them, and tried a variety of simple ones.

I believe that led into another week of making various other tiny weapons like bows and arrows and rubber-band throwers and stuff like that. When the kids are consumed with enthusiasm for a project like that, I just let them run with it.

Emily Cook
08-20-2012, 05:18 PM
That sounds really fun!

I haven't really done any crazy units like that, but probably our family favorite was when we studied Russia I bought an unpainted matroyska doll and the kids pored over a book about matroyshka doll art, then painted their own. This was probably 4 years ago and we still like to look at their doll. My kids consider it the most fun art project ever!

farrarwilliams
08-20-2012, 05:19 PM
We did a long study of movies, but it wasn't that zany.

I did once have an idea to structure a whole class around They Might Be Giants songs, but it never happened.

belacqua
08-20-2012, 06:33 PM
I did once have an idea to structure a whole class around They Might Be Giants songs, but it never happened.

We didn't do a class, but I will cop to including on a history quiz this question: Why did Constantinople get the works?

While the French Revolution didn't prove especially zany, we did have a memorable lesson involving stuffed animals, skittles, and a makeshift tennis court. The toy playing the part of the monarch (a very large, black panther, for those of you dying to know) ended up with a wildly disproportionate share of the skittles, and the poor peasants got screwed. Nothing like sugar and artificial dyes to drive home that lesson about feudalism.