PDA

View Full Version : Accelerated Achievement - wanted to pass this along if you want classical/independent

Wilma
06-17-2010, 02:28 PM
I have mentioned the Robinson Curriculum on a couple of threads. There is another one like it called Accelerated Achievement (http://www.hstreasures.com/a-squared.html). I have read numerous postive reviews on it Like Robinson, it has a large number of old books on cd which you can print out or put on an ereader. However, it has 800 titles as opposed to the 295 in Robinson. It is put out by a Mormon, and there is an LDS version in addition to the standard one, but the books you get for $99! Adam Smith, Robert Louis Stevenson, Frederick Douglass, lots of documents, Tom Swift. It also includes a math program, handwriting, grammar and vocab. It does not have upper level science, which is nice, IMO.

If anyone would be interested in something like this, I wanted to pass it on. You can order a demo with the entire curriculum with the print option disabled for $3.

As I wrote, the publisher is Mormon, so there are some religious references on the website.

squyars
02-04-2011, 12:46 AM
How does something like this work? Do you weed out any really religious materials? Do you print all the books out on paper? (OUCH!) I was intregued by Robinson Curriculum, but put off by the VERY religious rhetoric of it's founder. 22 CD's also feel a bit daunting!
Thanks for the post,
Michelle

jess
02-04-2011, 12:46 PM
In case you don't know, you can get most public domain books for free in many different electronic formats from many different sites online, with http://www.gutenberg.org/ being probably the most comprehensive (at least under US copyright law).

If you're buying a curriculum like this, do it for the organization and non-public domain portions, not the old books!

Batgirl
02-04-2011, 08:33 PM
I found the AA curriculum for half price on ebay, but haven't used it yet. The idea of a self-directed curriculum intrigues me, but neither of my sons is anywhere close to that yet.