PDA

View Full Version : The fridge is clean.

Wilma
06-17-2010, 01:51 PM
I finally found out what happened to the contents of the vary large container of syrup on the top shelf. It was almost empty one day and I couldn't figure out why. Cold syrup is very hard to get off the back of the fridge, if anyone is interested. Even harder to get off the lightbulb.

I also had this shelf between the meat drawer and the produce drawer that was like no man's land. By the time I remembered to look at the containers on that shelf they were a science project. It has been that way for 7 years. It dawned on me today that I could raise the meat drawer and use that shelf for drinks and other tall items. I now can open the door and see what is on that shelf. I can now store soft drink bottles and wine bottles and all the tall bottles of Asian sauces I have straight up and not on their sides. And I didn't think of this before because...?

Sarbare0704
06-17-2010, 01:55 PM
I just love a clean fridge! I don't do it nearly enough but when it is done I just want to keep looking at it lol maybe it is better I don't clean the fridge... too many temptations in there!

Wilma
06-17-2010, 02:10 PM
I just love a clean fridge! I don't do it nearly enough but when it is done I just want to keep looking at it lol maybe it is better I don't clean the fridge... too many temptations in there!

I am so glad to hear you say that! I just love opening it up and seeing the new arrangement and how shiny it is. I called the girls in to show it off and they were like, "yeah? It's a fridge." Wait till they become adults. Then they'll understand the excitement of a clean closet and a new appliance!

dbmamaz
06-17-2010, 03:50 PM
I actually get rid of ALL leftovers on leftovers night, at LEAST every other week. But cleaning the shelves is saved for epoc spills.

BPier12
06-17-2010, 03:56 PM
I finally found out what happened to the contents of the vary large container of syrup on the top shelf. It was almost empty one day and I couldn't figure out why. Cold syrup is very hard to get off the back of the fridge, if anyone is interested. Even harder to get off the lightbulb.

I also had this shelf between the meat drawer and the produce drawer that was like no man's land. By the time I remembered to look at the containers on that shelf they were a science project. It has been that way for 7 years. It dawned on me today that I could raise the meat drawer and use that shelf for drinks and other tall items. I now can open the door and see what is on that shelf. I can now store soft drink bottles and wine bottles and all the tall bottles of Asian sauces I have straight up and not on their sides. And I didn't think of this before because...?

Brava!! :) And thanks for the tip about the syrup... ;)

Busygoddess
06-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Having the bottles standing up is a very thing. We had a bottle of Worchestershire Sauce fall over on the top shelf (we have an older fridge with the wire bar shelves, not the nice movable plastic ones). It dripped all over the middle shelf & the bottom shelf (which luckily is plastic, so it didn't make it into drawer). The whole fridge smelled awful & it was a huge pain to clean off the shelves. It took awhile to figure out what it was, too. At first, I thought a package of meat leaked.

Shoe
06-17-2010, 05:18 PM
We just had to clean our fridge because our old one suddenly broke and we had to toss a lot of things in the trash. But the plus side is that the new fridge is clean, and not nearly as crowded as the last one.

Wilma
06-17-2010, 06:06 PM
And it has that nice new fridge smell!

wild_destiny
06-17-2010, 07:18 PM
That is the same way I feel about the bathroom shelves where we store our towels and extra sheets. It was so messy for so long that I finally took the time to take everything off and completely refold it, then stack it once again, only this time ever so neatly. I was so thrilled with the tidiness and preciseness of it when all was done, but my kids looked at me like I was almost crazy. Excited over neatly folded sheets, or clean refrigerators? Must mean you are a mom (or a parent). Probably also means you are out of your 20's.

Sarbare0704
06-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Probably also means you are out of your 20's.

LOL not me! I'm 24 and greatly appreciate a clean fridge and closet!

Wilma
06-17-2010, 07:52 PM
LOL not me! I'm 24 and greatly appreciate a clean fridge and closet!

Yes, but you are wise beyond your years!

Sarbare0704
06-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Yes, but you are wise beyond your years!

Well thank you! I will take that as a compliment :)

Snoopy
06-17-2010, 10:18 PM
That is the same way I feel about the bathroom shelves where we store our towels and extra sheets. It was so messy for so long that I finally took the time to take everything off and completely refold it, then stack it once again, only this time ever so neatly. I was so thrilled with the tidiness and preciseness of it when all was done, but my kids looked at me like I was almost crazy. Excited over neatly folded sheets, or clean refrigerators? Must mean you are a mom (or a parent). Probably also means you are out of your 20's. That's the way I felt after reorganizing my "Tupperware" cabinet! Unfortunately, after a few months of neatness, it's back to being a mess. The fridge.. well, I need to clean it. It's so pretty when I do clean it out but it takes forever because we cram everything in there (7 people at home!)

Wilma
06-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Yes, but do your children spill a gallon container of syrup and then put it upright hoping no one will notice and not clean up the smudge (okay, waterfall) of syrup dripping down the back? And do you blissfully not notice it for months (I figure at least 6) because you just don't see the chaos because it is such a part of your life?

Snoopy
06-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Yes, but do your children spill a gallon container of syrup and then put it upright hoping no one will notice and not clean up the smudge (okay, waterfall) of syrup dripping down the back? And do you blissfully not notice it for months (I figure at least 6) because you just don't see the chaos because it is such a part of your life? Absolutely! Not syrup because we keep it in the pantry, but I've had to clean hardened waterfalls of crud from the back of the fridge (and the coil of plastic tubing for the water line of the icemaker) more than I care to remember. Usually you can hear my swear words from across the street.

Wilma
06-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Absolutely! Not syrup because we keep it in the pantry, but I've had to clean hardened waterfalls of crud from the back of the fridge (and the coil of plastic tubing for the water line of the icemaker) more than I care to remember. Usually you can hear my swear words from across the street.

Why is that tubing so long? Is it in case you separate the fridge and icemaker? I mean, c'mon, the icemaker is right there. Not 20 feet away.

Snoopy
06-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Why is that tubing so long? Is it in case you separate the fridge and icemaker? I mean, c'mon, the icemaker is right there. Not 20 feet away. I know, right? Meanwhile the cord for my electric can opener is like 10 inches long. Maybe it's a sign that I should use a hand-held model, lol.

reversemigration
06-17-2010, 11:58 PM
Why is that tubing so long? Is it in case you separate the fridge and icemaker? I mean, c'mon, the icemaker is right there. Not 20 feet away.

Short range, high volume Super Soaker.

That's what DS would say, anyway. Yesterday, while chasing a couple of neighborhood girls he brandished his watergun in what looked like something out of Braveheart and yelled, "The most potent weapon since the hydrogen bomb!"

About an hour later, he returned wet from head to toe. Evidently, the girls are particularly good with a garden hose.

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 07:35 AM
About an hour later, he returned wet from head to toe. Evidently, the girls are particularly good with a garden hose. He he , is he planning his revenge for today? Noah would be... "I need more... FIREPOWER!"

Wilma
06-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Short range, high volume Super Soaker.

That's what DS would say, anyway. Yesterday, while chasing a couple of neighborhood girls he brandished his watergun in what looked like something out of Braveheart and yelled, "The most potent weapon since the hydrogen bomb!"

About an hour later, he returned wet from head to toe. Evidently, the girls are particularly good with a garden hose.

My girls are excellent shots. Don't send your boys here.

As for the electric can opener - that is another gross item. I stopped using one when I realized you could put the manual one in the dishwasher, thus freeing up the time you would have spend cleaning it to get crud off the back of the fridge.

pandahoneybee
06-18-2010, 10:03 AM
I love it when my frig is clean BUT it happens so rarely;)

reversemigration
06-18-2010, 12:41 PM
He he , is he planning his revenge for today? Noah would be... "I need more... FIREPOWER!"

I'm sure he'll be filling water balloons this afternoon. That's the thing about 10-year-old boys. They don't know when to cut their losses. :)

reversemigration
06-18-2010, 12:43 PM
My girls are excellent shots. Don't send your boys here.

I suspect that would only be an incentive. Nobody wants to play with someone who's uninterested. ;)

Shoe
06-18-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm sure he'll be filling water balloons this afternoon. That's the thing about 10-year-old boys. They don't know when to cut their losses. :)

Surgical tubing used to make a slingshot kind of weapon works really well for increasing the range of water balloons (and can be a science lesson)...I'm just saying...

reversemigration
06-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Surgical tubing used to make a slingshot kind of weapon works really well for increasing the range of water balloons (and can be a science lesson)...I'm just saying...

LOL! I've seen some sort of BIG water balloon slingshot in action before, but I hadn't thought of surgical tubing. That's harder for me to get hold of these days since I can no longer raid the ER stockroom with the aid of a friendly nurse/PA/NP. :)

Shoe
06-18-2010, 01:06 PM
LOL! I've seen some sort of BIG water balloon slingshot in action before, but I hadn't thought of surgical tubing. That's harder for me to get hold of these days since I can no longer raid the ER stockroom with the aid of a friendly nurse/PA/NP. :)

I would think this would work well: Rubber Tubing, 7/16", 10' Length (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FP0IR0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?ie=UTF8&cloe_id=e4e1fb97-8623-4f54-a216-7db7ad348f07&attrMsgId=LPWidget-A2&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001P61R5K&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0PQT0JGRM8FTSMZP5045)...it should far exceed the range of the garden hose, even if not a continuous stream.

pandahoneybee
06-18-2010, 01:42 PM

I am with Nathalie HE NEEDS MORE POWER! I say one in each hand AND one strapped to his back! and maybe a mini in his sock just in case he gets close;)

Wilma
06-18-2010, 03:53 PM
I have a friend who likes to use very large syringes to squirt water. And they are easier to hide than water balloons.

reversemigration
06-18-2010, 04:31 PM
I would think this would work well: Rubber Tubing, 7/16", 10' Length (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FP0IR0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?ie=UTF8&cloe_id=e4e1fb97-8623-4f54-a216-7db7ad348f07&attrMsgId=LPWidget-A2&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001P61R5K&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0PQT0JGRM8FTSMZP5045)...it should far exceed the range of the garden hose, even if not a continuous stream.

I love being able to justify mayhem as "science in action!"

reversemigration
06-18-2010, 04:32 PM
I have a friend who likes to use very large syringes to squirt water. And they are easier to hide than water balloons.

"I wasn't squirting! I was...um...basting!"

Shoe
06-18-2010, 07:16 PM

60 ml (2 oz) catheter tip syringes work especially well for this purpose.

Shoe
06-18-2010, 07:16 PM
I love being able to justify mayhem as "science in action!"

Absolutely! Isn't that what science is for?

reversemigration
06-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Absolutely! Isn't that what science is for?

That's the kind of thing that makes me think of this (http://www.theonion.com/articles/science-guy-bill-nye-killed-in-massive-vinegarbaki,288/). *Onion Satire Alert*

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 07:49 PM
You guys are BAD! lol.... those poor girls aren't going to know what hit them!

Shoe
06-18-2010, 07:51 PM
You guys are BAD! lol.... those poor girls aren't going to know what hit them!

In addition to the science of ballistics, this might be a good time for a history lesson-the Cold War and the concept of Mutually Assured Destruction.

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 07:51 PM
That's the kind of thing that makes me think of this (http://www.theonion.com/articles/science-guy-bill-nye-killed-in-massive-vinegarbaki,288/). *Onion Satire Alert*

LOL! Thanks for remembering our agreed-upon rule to always specify that The Onion is a satire magazine otherwise we might have had a grassroot movement to organize a national mourning day for poor Bill ;)

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 07:54 PM
In addition to the science of ballistics, this might be a good time for a history lesson-the Cold War and the concept of Mutually Assured Destruction. **chuckling** Beth and I were just saying yesterday that we need to learn how to use everyday activities to facilitate learning! I would have never thought to teach the Cold War through water ballooning-type of activities but what a great analogy, lol! I'll have to save this thread somehow (can we download it to a text file like we can our PMs? I'll have to check...) so I can use the ideas and schematics when Noah and I get to that time period in 2 years ;)