PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling three kids, on the road and everywhere

MegRex
06-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi, everybody!

I have three kids, ages 10, 8, and almost 6. We've been homeschooling since the 10-year-old was a few months into kindergarten. We live full-time in an RV, and we travel without a schedule, pursuing both new and familiar experiences at whatever pace satisfies. I sometimes intend to blog about our life, but the posts are only about monthly these days. Most people would say our style is pretty far along the unschooling end of the spectrum.

Not sure how often I'll check in, as I don't always have broadband, but I'm excited to see some neat topics and diverse opinions.

Meg

http://roamschooling.blogspot.com

SunshineKris
06-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Coooool!!!! My kids would be incredibly jealous! My husband as well. Not sure I could do it full time but what interesting stories you must have!
Welcome to the site.

jessicalb
06-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Wow, what a cool lifestyle! Nice to meet you! :)

Topsy
06-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Welcome, Meg!! It's wonderful to have you here!! Wow...now I'm wondering if I need to create a whole new group in our State Homeschooling Groups section (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?do=grouplist&cat=3)..."All of the Above". ;) Please do drop in as often as you can...I know we would benefit from your input!

pandahoneybee
06-17-2010, 04:26 PM
I am with Topsy WOW! that must be a great adventure! I have always said that it what I would love to do but I don't think that I am that brave!
Welcome to the group and let us know where you are maybe we can do a Meg tracking system;) Like "Where is Meg at today?"

BPier12
06-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Hi Meg and welcome! I just spent a very pleasant 20 minutes looking at your blog. My husband and I have toyed around with the idea of living on the road and I'm fascinated by your adventures. Your description of your experiences watching the launch of Endeavour was quite beautiful. We moved to Florida in January and got up on both of those nights to watch the launch from the top of a bridge here in Vero Beach. We were disappointed the first night, but the second night, well, I will never forget it. Even over a hundred miles away from the launch pad, it was spectacular. I look forward to "seeing" you here when you are able!

firefly
06-17-2010, 04:43 PM
I've wanted to do this since I was in HS & thought about trading it all in for a life on the road. Being a single mom, safety issues are the main obstacle. Oh yeah, then there's the $ thing!

Aside from those issues are the legal ones. Years ago I contacted HSLDA with a residency question because, to my knowledge, all US states require that you spend at least 6 months physically within your home state when you hs. I used to want to travel the world. But when I talked to my lawyer about how to do this legally I quickly realized that I wasn't as free as I thought I was. There are so many restrictions. I am completely angered that people are required to jump through these hoops!

What if I just want to be a free human and migrate the globe like any natural animal? Oh yeah, they don't sell permits for that!

The way they catch up with you is if someone does a surprise "home" visit & only finds a mailbox. Or, if you get something in the mail "To Appear" somewhere & don't get the mail, or, can't get "home" in time. If memory serves me, OK had the least restrictive rules, & I would have chosen that state for my "home". Although, I never had a foolproof plan for mail delivery since no relatives live there...

Shoe
06-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Welcome to the site! That sounds like a fascinating life style-I'm jealous. Hope to see you around here frequently.

Sarbare0704
06-17-2010, 06:39 PM
That is so awesome! I would love to do that...in theory LOL Im pretty sure my 8 mo old could fill an RV on his own! oops! I'm sure it wouldn't kill us to downsize that is for sure! Welcome to the group! I am very excited to hear your adventures!

Snoopy
06-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Welcome to the group :)

mamareeb
06-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Welcome! We have a small RV that just barely fits the 6 of us. We got it last year and have taken 2 big trips to Colorado, with many more adventures planned/dreamed. I'll have to check out your blog for tips! My husband and I think it would be a great retirement lifestyle someday. You're very brave (a little crazy?) to go full-time with 3 kids. WOW!

bailbrae
06-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Hi Meg! I am SO envious! The hubs have wanted to do that for years, but financial reasons hold us back. (Darn those adult responsibilities!) We always laugh when friends and ourselves play the lottery winnings "what if" game. Others talk about buying mansions, some talk about buying a large amount of land...one couple even says they want their own island, lol. But everyone looks at us all wonky-eyed when we say we would buy a gi-normous RV and live on the road. Of course, I always pipe in that I would have one stipulation: A good looking driver! ;)

wuffers
06-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Welcome! I enjoyed looking over your blog (we too are/were natural birthing, extended nursing, etc, but evidence-based medicine sorts of people, which it seems to me can be quite rare)! That is so cool to be on the road- lots of adventures. One of my reasons for homeschooling as been to have the freedom to travel.

Shoe
06-24-2010, 11:34 AM
One of my reasons for homeschooling as been to have the freedom to travel. I'd love to have the freedom to travel, but my work doesn't allow it much. One of the great things about homeschooling for us is that I don't have to try and coordinate my work schedule and the kids' school vacation schedule together for vacations.

MegRex
06-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the welcoming words, everyone.

Yes, it does get crazy sometimes, and yes, it is a pretty fun way to live.

We make sure to cover the legal/mail/finance/insurance stuff. And if we had to appear in court or an administrative office, we can make it across the country in a few days. Not that we'd want to -- our usual pace is a few hundred miles per month. :)

Right now we're in western Kansas -- it's super hot, and the wheat harvest is finishing up. :)

Meg (who needs to create a signature)

BeverlyM
06-26-2010, 08:55 PM
One of the reasons I was excited about hs was so I could take vacations when no one else does and have the play areas and stuff available to us when everyone else was in school :) You are so lucky so have the freedom. And as much gypsy blood as I have in me, I find it really hard to stay put! But finances don't give me much choice, so I will keep you in mind when I'm in need of a vicarious travel experience :) Stay safe on the road and enjoy, enjoy, and just LIVE!

Beverly in Alabama

hockeymom
07-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Welcome! I'm hearing more and more about roadschooling lately-what a great adventure you must be having! Hope to hear more from you soon!