PDA

View Full Version : Hi from GA!!

bailbrae
06-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Hi everyone! Our area isn't real homeschool friendly, and the ones that do seem to support homeschooling certainly aren't secular homeschool friendly. We live in a VERY rural part of NE GA. By rural I mean we don't have real landmarks or street names...we have "take the 3rd dirt road down from the 4th chicken house." :)

This fall we will start our 5th year of homeschooling. I was not an avid supporter of homeschooling for various reasons prior to pulling my oldest (now completing 5th grade) out of the public school system when he was in the 1st grade. Since that year was so tough, I pulled him out in a fit of anger and thought I would just finish up 1st grade here and see what we can do about maybe getting money saved for a private school when 2nd grade rolled around. It was a tough year for us, both student and teacher alike, but we made it through. And decided to keep trying. We said "let's see what happens this year and go from there." We've said that every year since and lo and behold, we are still plugging away at this.

I was introduced to this site by Topsy, who I met through Time4Learning, and discovered that there are other fabulous members from T4L here as well! I'm excited to see a secular homeschooling site...even though it's hard to put into words why. I do have a Christian faith, but telling folks that I don't like Christian curricula seems kinda contradictory, lol.

Looking forward to "meeting" everyone! :D

jessicalb
06-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Welcome! Good to meet you! :)

Topsy
06-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Yea, Katie!! You made it!! Glad to see you here, lady. Hope you will enjoy our little "oasis". ;)

pandahoneybee
06-17-2010, 05:27 PM
well hello Katie! Welcome to the dark side;) hehehehehe Hope you love this group as much as I do! and be talking to ya!

reversemigration
06-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Welcome, Katie! I look forward to hearing more about your experiences thus far. Where in NE Georgia are you? I grew up in Clemson, not so far on the other side of the border, and I spent many summers rafting and canoeing on the Chattooga.

Shoe
06-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Welcome to the site Katie-there are lots of good folks around here and a lot of great information. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Sarbare0704
06-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Welcome! I'm Sara new to homeschooling, I look forward to hearing more about your homeschooling adventure!

Snoopy
06-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Welcome to the group!

bailbrae
06-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks ladies, for all the welcomes! I look forward to interacting with everyone as well! :D

Topsy
06-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks ladies, for all the welcomes! I look forward to interacting with everyone as well! :D

And gentlemen!! Ben and Shoe may take umbrage at being referred to in the feminine today. ;)

bailbrae
07-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Begging many pardons!!! :D

pandahoneybee
07-01-2010, 05:18 PM
we will forgive ya! of course I am not David or Shoe;) but they are two cool guys!