PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Use Discovery Channel's www.cosmeo.com?

firefly
06-17-2010, 12:45 AM
This seems like a secular science lovers dream b/c it boasts over 30,000 Discovery Channel videos & 40,000 math tutorials + so much more! When I found it a years ago (2007?) it was the only thing I could find that seemed fully secular & I was dying to try it but kids went back to ps!

Now no one seems to be talking about it & I had hoped it would be a full service home school website by now. What I did find on the web was generally not that positive - though some raved. It promotes itself as a "Homework Help Toolkit" & I read that the problem with the math help is that it is limited to certain (ps ?) math textbooks (the textbook database not searchable?). Another compaint was that videos are out there for free - but for me this site puts them all in one safe place.

The cost is $99 yr or $10 mo. They are offering a Free Month. But users warn you need to cancel over the phone before your 30 days is up. Anyone know the deal?

Snoopy
06-17-2010, 02:44 AM
I heard of it but I'm pretty cheap so I wouldn't pay for it.

I use

http://www.sqooltools.com/edvideos/

http://www.watchknow.org/

Brainpop (I could access it for free since my daughter's school has a subscription but since she's moving up to middle school, I probably will have to start paying for it. A friend of mine organized a group membership for a local h'sing group and it ended up costing them $10 per child for the whole year)

Netflix Streaming

And I just rediscovered this link in my Favorites, it'll help decide what else to add to my Netflix queue! http://www.navigatinglife.org/historybusters/id28.html

BPier12
06-17-2010, 10:17 AM
And I just rediscovered this link in my Favorites, it'll help decide what else to add to my Netflix queue! http://www.navigatinglife.org/historybusters/id28.html

Thanks for this link, Nathalie!! Very helpful. I really like how they have the films organized by time period.

Wilma
06-18-2010, 12:40 AM
We use it, We love it. We cancel when we don't do school and when we start back up, they give us the one month free all over again. There customer service is great. I have nothing but great things to say about it.

firefly
06-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks all! I'm glad to know about the "revolving free month" of service & that someone out there has used it. I just saw a link to a Nova (3.0 ?) add that states in August Nova will launch a new Teachers interface. Maybe I can jockey between sites for the best of both worlds!

Snoopy
06-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Firefly, I just read a review of it on another group and the reviewer said "There is a homework help section. Put in the name/ISBN of your text book, page number, and problem number and it helps you solve the problem!! Shows you step by step solutions. Super cool!" Have you used that functionality? I can't check it out without signing up.

firefly
06-20-2010, 12:42 AM
Hi Snoopy! No, I'm waiting to sign up when my kid’s activities slow down in mid July. I read a h/ser’s complaint that she thought the math homework help only worked for ps type textbooks… so we’ll see. But wow! The site looks promising. I just thought more secular h/sers knew about it. I should probably start a post about it over in Links and Info since it has the free month!

Snoopy
06-20-2010, 02:12 AM
Hi Snoopy! No, I'm waiting to sign up when my kid’s activities slow down in mid July. I read a h/ser’s complaint that she thought the math homework help only worked for ps type textbooks… so we’ll see. But wow! The site looks promising. I just thought more secular h/sers knew about it. I should probably start a post about it over in Links and Info since it has the free month!
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it was for "official" textbooks only, but what I posted was a comment made by a homeschooling mom on a homeschooling group. But maybe she uses p.s. textbooks.

Yes I think you should post a thread in the Links and Info forum since, apparently, not everyone reads every post, lol.