PDA

View Full Version : Daily org chart

snowpeople5
07-25-2012, 12:55 PM
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.

I would like to get a big chart that where I can have our daily routine mapped out for my 4 yr old. It has to be flexible enough so I can move things around and easy enough for him to understand. He doesn't read yet, so it would have to be pictures.

Anyone has any suggestions/ideas? Unfortunately, I am not the artistic type, so can't be too creative

Thanks so so much

jessica14
07-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Check on www.reallygoodstuff.com They have lots of things like that for classroom use. I used them when I taught, but I still use them now. They have pocket charts for schedules I believe. I think some of them come with schedule like card, or you can just get the pocket chart and make the cards yourself.

cupcakes0104
07-25-2012, 01:19 PM
I just make charts in Microsoft Word using clip art. I have a chart to help my kids pack for trips that has pictures (undies, PJs, shoes, etc.). I laminate them and use dry erase markers to indicate what is needed for a particular trip (ie, 4 pairs of undies or 2). I also used to have one for getting ready to leave the house.

Maybe that is all that you need?

hockeymom
07-25-2012, 03:04 PM
I've seen that kind of thing at Borders (sniff...) and Books A Million. Amazon might be ago resource too, or even somewhere like Staples. Sometimes they carry a bunch of teacher-y stuff.

snowpeople5
07-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Thank you ladies. I've looked on Amazon and on the site Jessica suggested. Either I am super picky or am the only one who wants the kind of chart that I want, bc I just don't see EXACTLY what I have in mind :o

farrarwilliams
07-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Someone I know does this with laminated cards on a little strip with velcro. It's cute. He used words, but even for his youngest, who wasn't reading when I know they were doing that. You could easily download quick images, put them in a file, print them, cut them out, laminate them and then put something sticky on them or get magnets and a magnetic board or velcro dots and a strip of velcro - that gets annoyingly long to create though... Still, I've certainly done that sort of thing, so... I get it. :D

lakshmi
07-26-2012, 02:07 AM
Lou... we need you here... too bad we can't tag... She has some great velcro things that are laminated and with pictures.... clip art type stuff....

only when i was with my 4 year old we did nothing structured so we just played and made up our day as we went along...

AmyButler
07-26-2012, 10:59 AM
I have a really narrow wall between my dining room where we school and the hall. I have made 3.5 by 2.8 cards with really fancy borders in my daughter's favorite colors for every subject and for odd random things like "Mom's Choice," "Mary's Choice," "Watch a Movie," and things like that. When I get back from the fmily reunion next week, I am going to laminate them, put a piece of velcro on the back, put strip of velcro on the wall and let my daughter arrange the next days work on the wall. As she finishes something, she can take the card off the wall and put it back in the basket. I think it is going to help her with time management as well as giving her a visual of accomplishment. Also, with them being laminated, I can put a mark on for each day she delays doing something (like composition) that can be wiped off when it is completed. Would something like that work for what you are looking for?

snowpeople5
07-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Hmmm... Farrar and Amy.... I am thinking.... I probably will have to end up creating something, bc I am just not finding out exactly what I am looking for. I just really don't feel like doing it. LOL I am going to use "oh I am so busy" card bc I have 3 very small children, but in reality, I am not that creative and I just don't feel like it. Does this sounds pretty bad for a woman who wants to homeschool?;)

AmyButler
07-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Hmmm... Farrar and Amy.... I am thinking.... I probably will have to end up creating something, bc I am just not finding out exactly what I am looking for. I just really don't feel like doing it. LOL I am going to use "oh I am so busy" card bc I have 3 very small children, but in reality, I am not that creative and I just don't feel like it. Does this sounds pretty bad for a woman who wants to homeschool?;)

Nope! It sounds like priorities :)

snowpeople5
07-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks Amy, that's it!!! Priorities. I think I just found a brand new way to explain my lazy moments :D

raegan
07-28-2012, 08:09 PM
You may want to browse through some of the workboxing-inspired organizational ideas out there on the interwebz. I went to a ton of effort for workboxes last year, and we ended up not really using them the way I'd intended...so let's just say I've looked at several other iterations, and there are tons out there. One of them may be what you're looking for.

MichelleC
07-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Probably not what you had in mind, but I use the fridge. Got a bunch of magnet-backed, clear plastic-fronted, 4x6 picture holders at the dollar store. Wrote on index cards, and inserted cards in picture holders. Then we use a small magnet to mark where we are.

snowpeople5
08-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Holy cannoli, Michelle, that is very very cool and cheap and creative!! Thanks

MichelleC
08-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks! :) It's adapted from my system for Flylady routines, which lives further up on the fridge.

Avalon
08-03-2012, 01:35 PM
We have a whiteboard on one wall of our kitchen area, and I used one corner of it for a schedule when the kids were younger. I used "wet-erase" markers for the outline (I just made a column for each day of the week, and split each column into morning/afternoon/evening.) Then, I would use dry-erase markers to jot down what was happening each day and at what time. The dry-erase markers just wipe off without erasing the outline. My son liked it, but my daughter never really cared about things like calendars or time.

Accidental Homeschooler
08-03-2012, 03:48 PM
You can also go to a hardware store and get narrow strips of metal and put them on the wall with those two sided sticky 3m things, if you don't have room on the fridge. I made a spice holder with them. Office supply stores carry business card size magnets with one side that is adhesive so you could stick a picture on it.

Oceana
08-03-2012, 04:50 PM
We use a visual planner I have one for school work and one for the day. I honestly don't use the daily one. I should but I just cannot do it. Simple and low budget. I use a clip board and have a laminated page on it with the soft side of Velcro dots. Then I laminated each school subject and put a rough Velcro dot on each of those.

My child is told "here is what we must do today you pick the order". It gives great sensory input when he pulls off each subject to put in the pouch I taped on the back of the clipboard. It gives him a sense of control as he gets to choose the order. It adds ritual to completing a subject and makes it visually clear what needs to be complete and where we are. He need not read to know what is on the list.

snowpeople5
08-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Thank you so so much for so many awesome ideas, I really do appreciate it. I'll keep you posted what I end up with :)

snowpeople5
08-14-2012, 08:54 PM
OK, for anyone interested - I found what I was looking for, as a matter of fact, I found two charts. They are both from Lakeshore Learning. Here is the link to one http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/p|KT2904~~.jsp... Yes, it's geared towards a school setting, but that's no biggy, food time is food time and art time is art time, right? LOL

another one is even cooler - What Will We do Today - let's a kid to move the arrow up and down, going from activity to activity.

So, this time my laziness and procrastination paid off bc I didn't have to create anything myself :D

AmyButler
08-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the reminder! I need to make 2 more cards for the wall!!