PDA

View Full Version : Flat Stanley anyone?

naturegirl7
07-17-2012, 05:00 PM
I know we've tried it before and it seems to fizzle out - but we would LOVE to do this!!

I've seen it a few ways but I was thinking of the basic Flat Stanley. One Flat Stanley starts his travels and takes a turn visiting each family on the list. I think it would be the best way to go since long term participation seems to be a problem with every Flat Stanley we've tried. Plus it would be easier to replace Stanley as he gets lost.

I was thinking I would create a blog, and make all participants authors. Then when Stanley is visiting you, you can take him on an adventure (big or small!) and upload the pics and a little blurb about his adventure and any cool facts about your home state. The adventures can be sharing a normal every day day with you, checking out the local sites, whatever.

If you are interested, please post here. If enough people are interested, I'll have everyone PM me your mailing address and compile a big (private) list. We can either have a master list that I can PM to everyone participating, or I can just share with each person the address of the person they should mail to next.

Paula
07-17-2012, 06:03 PM
That sounds like fun! Count me in. :)

Tee
07-17-2012, 06:25 PM
me, me, me - we love flat Stanley here.

pamom1980
07-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Go ahead and count me/us in as well.. I think it'd be fun to do and I can post some of the pictures on my homeschooling site as well for the kids to see.. PLUS, I'll be able to include it in with our end of the year portfolio. :)

naturegirl7
07-17-2012, 07:03 PM
PA mom - where in PA are you? We recently moved to PA - Poconos. :) I didn't even think of the portfolio! Definitely fulfills the US geography requirement!

We are visiting family back in FL right now, so I can do start it off here and finish with our PA/NJ hot spots.

pamom1980
07-17-2012, 07:43 PM
naturegirl7... We're in Tyrone which is about 30 minutes from State College (we're pretty much in the center of the state.. lol)

I'm not really familiar with the different towns in PA, so I'll have to look up where Poconos is. But yeah, anything to help in the portfolio and you better believe I'll be adding it.. LOL I do like how I've heard that some people have their entire portfolio's on a cd/dvd, so I might look into doing that instead.

mermo
07-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Sounds fun, count us in.

naturegirl7
07-17-2012, 08:14 PM
PAmom - we are all the way east, up near the top. Mountains and waterfalls and the Delaware River and Delaware Water Gap and tons of park service lands. And Grey Towers, where the Park Services got their start :)

naturegirl7
07-17-2012, 09:20 PM
I have a few out of state friends also interested too. And I'm sure this list here will grow.

Paula, Tee, PAmom, mermo and anyone interested please PM me your email and your mailing address :)

pamom1980
07-17-2012, 11:52 PM
PM sent!! :)

slawrenae
07-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Would love to do it! We are just outside Cincinnati.

Shea and four kids age 9 and under

naturegirl7
07-19-2012, 06:18 PM
If you haven't already PM'd me your email address and mailing address, please do so. I am compiling a list now. In addition to everyone who posted here, I have several HSing friends who live all over the country that want to participate too. :)

Hoping to get everything set up in the next week or so. Would you all prefer to start in August or in September when the new school year starts?

pamom1980
07-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Well, I've already started our new year so anytime you want to get it going is fine with me!

Karangi
07-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Can we be included too please? I'm sure Stanley would love a visit to country Australia!!

naturegirl7
07-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Awesome!! Tee and Slawrenae - I need your mailing addresses and email addresses. Karangi, I still need an email address please. I have the blog started and am compiling a list with all the mailing info right now. Right now, we are at 14 families. :)

MD, CT, PA, FL, CA, GA, NC, OK, OH, NJ and Australia. Not too bad! I have cousins living in Singapore so I am going to ask them if they will host Stanley too. :)

If anyone else would like to join - please just let me know! The more the merrier :)

Tee
07-20-2012, 07:12 PM
My brother and his family live in Africa - may I ask them to join?
Awesome!! Tee and Slawrenae - I need your mailing addresses and email addresses. Karangi, I still need an email address please. I have the blog started and am compiling a list with all the mailing info right now. Right now, we are at 14 families. :)

MD, CT, PA, FL, CA, GA, NC, OK, OH, NJ and Australia. Not too bad! I have cousins living in Singapore so I am going to ask them if they will host Stanley too. :)

If anyone else would like to join - please just let me know! The more the merrier :)

naturegirl7
07-20-2012, 08:13 PM
My brother and his family live in Africa - may I ask them to join?

YES PLEASE!! WoooooHooo! A friend is going to ask her brother in Kuwait too :) Stanley is going to be getting around!

barefootbabies
07-29-2012, 04:55 PM
We are in KY and would love to participate if you are still taking members! I will pm my address just in case!

Kelly Cyr-Levesque
07-29-2012, 06:01 PM
We are in Maine and would love to play along!! Exciting!!!!

GA_gypsy
07-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Please add us! Sent a PM.

naturegirl7
08-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Blog is up and running! I sent out invites to everyone I received contact info from. There's still a few people that said they were interested but never got back to me with contact info - please PM me so I can add you! Also, if anyone else is interested in joining this - PM me! The more the merrier :)

It is going to be lots of fun - we have 18 definite host families within the US. And offers from people abroad - Australia, Singapore, India, Africa, Kuwait, and Mexico!

So check your email, accept the invite and log in. I have a welcome post - please read it and leave a comment so I know you are able to log in and access everything. Hopefully, we can get Stanley started on his adventure in the next week or so. :)

GHAcademy
08-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Tried to PM you but your box is full. We would love to do this also! Let me know what to do.

naturegirl7
08-07-2012, 01:16 PM
So sorry about that! I didn't realize it was full, I just cleared it out.

Please resend any PMs.

Tee
08-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Michelle,

I think I was invited to contribute, but not to read? This is the message I got when I accepted the invite and logged in:

This blog is open to invited readers onlyIt doesn't look like you have been invited to read this blog. If you think this is a mistake, you might want to contact the blog author and request an invitation.
You're signed in as txxxxxxxx - Sign in with a different account (https://accounts.google.com/Logout?service=blogger&hl=en&continue=http://www.blogger.com/blogin.g?blogspotURL%3Dhttp://travelwithflatstanley.blogspot.com/%26zx%3Dlgrh7cjyqvfq)

tefu21
08-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi Michelle! My family would definitely love to join. I haven't posted enough to PM anyone yet, so I will email you our info.

pamom1980
08-07-2012, 09:31 PM
That's the same message I got.. Granted, I get emails from my yahoo account but it wants me to sign into the blog with a gmail account (which I do have) but I am guessing that because I never gave the OP my gmail email addy, it won't let me use it since it wasn't set up...???

Michelle,

I think I was invited to contribute, but not to read? This is the message I got when I accepted the invite and logged in:

This blog is open to invited readers onlyIt doesn't look like you have been invited to read this blog. If you think this is a mistake, you might want to contact the blog author and request an invitation.
You're signed in as txxxxxxxx - Sign in with a different account (https://accounts.google.com/Logout?service=blogger&hl=en&continue=http://www.blogger.com/blogin.g?blogspotURL%3Dhttp://travelwithflatstanley.blogspot.com/%26zx%3Dlgrh7cjyqvfq)

dottieanna29
09-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Have things started yet? I picked up a collection of Flat Stanley stories to read to the kids so they get excited but I didn't want to get too ahead of ourselves.