PDA

View Full Version : Meeting IRL...

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm very excited because we get to meet Beth (BPier12) and Fletcher IRL tomorrow! She generously invited the kids and I to her home since we'll be visiting a museum nearby, how awesome is this?

I hope you are making local-ish connections as well. Anyone else planning an IRL meeting? I really wish Flat Mitchell would get here already so we could take it on our outing tomorrow, it truly would be a Secular Flat Homeschooler moment! I guess Saskatchewan is reeeeeeeeeeeeally far away from Florida, lol.

pandahoneybee
06-16-2010, 10:22 AM
HOW COOL! Topsy keeps saying that we should meet up somewhere since we both are in NC! Get some pics and put them up! Maybe make a flat Topsy so she can be there too;0) lol

Shoe
06-16-2010, 10:24 AM
That's really great. There don't seem to be many people here on the forums that are very close to me. I did pass through NB last week, though I have no idea if I was in a part close to hockeymom. There is another Granite Stater on the forums, but she's on the other side of the state (a 3-4 hour drive).

Have a great time!

jessicalb
06-16-2010, 10:30 AM
How fun! I would love to meet people from here. *poke Arizonans* :)

StartingOver
06-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Grrr my Emma is so car sick right now, I don't get to go very far at all. I hope she outgrows it soon, as I am truly a wanderer. I spent years traveling the Us with the older children, I really would love to do it again with these babies once they are a bit older.

One of the best things about homeschooling to me, is that I can get a wild hair and just take off !!!

BPier12
06-16-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm very excited because we get to meet Beth (BPier12) and Fletcher IRL tomorrow! She generously invited the kids and I to her home since we'll be visiting a museum nearby, how awesome is this?

I hope you are making local-ish connections as well. Anyone else planning an IRL meeting? I really wish Flat Mitchell would get here already so we could take it on our outing tomorrow, it truly would be a Secular Flat Homeschooler moment! I guess Saskatchewan is reeeeeeeeeeeeally far away from Florida, lol.

We're very excited too!!!! :D

Topsy
06-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Oooh...I hope this starts a "trend" around here. I would love to hear all your stories from various "meet-ups". And then I say we create a yearly convention for all of us to meet...in Hawaii, of course. ;)

pandahoneybee
06-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Oooh...I hope this starts a "trend" around here. I would love to hear all your stories from various "meet-ups". And then I say we create a yearly convention for all of us to meet...in Hawaii, of course. ;)
with cabanna boys serving us drinks? i am going to get those drinks some how! I vote for Hawaii too, now are any of you millionaries and want to float me a loan for the trip?;)

Shoe
06-16-2010, 12:47 PM
And then I say we create a yearly convention for all of us to meet...in Hawaii, of course. ;) I like the sound of that...

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 12:50 PM
I say we create a yearly convention for all of us to meet...in Hawaii, of course. ;) It would be so much fun! I'm ready to book my tickets as soon as I win that lottery that Michelle is referring to (should we start a pool?)! Although, I think you should book us at the Biltmore hotel. Isn't NC a more central location than Hawaii? And it's beautiful too!

I keep on messing up the quote thingie today (apparently I need to drink a few more Diet Cokes for all my brain cells to start firing on all cylinders today!) so let me do it this way:

First off, I apologize for my poor grammar. I should have said "She invited the kids and me". Ugh. I'm sorry I made a bunch of you cringe!

Second, Michelle, I love the idea of a Flat Topsy! How much fun would that be? Topsy, wanna PM me a picture of you? I can't enlarge your avatar photo... Also, Topsy and I were planning to meet last November because I was going to visit my in-laws who live 20 min from her, but I forgot to follow through so it didn't happen :( Next time I go, we should have a little NC reunion. I know Angela is in that area too!

Third, Shoe, that's a long way away. I hope more New Hampshirians (New Hampshirers? Hampshirites?) discover SHS soon. Beth lives about 2.5 hours from my house, but I love driving, like Jana, and we're going her way for an educational field trip anyway so it's like an added bonus!

I might get to meet Melyssa this November if Greg gets sent on the business trip he was telling me about. I told him there was no way he was going without Noah and me (I remembered this time!), so we'll see.

Also Susanna, a newbie here, lives about 20-25 min from me and we're planning on meeting once it's not as hot outside and her infants are a little older.

OK, I'll bring my camera tomorrow and get some photos posted :)

camaro
06-16-2010, 12:55 PM
The postcards seemed to travel quickly so I'm hoping Flat Mitchell is zooming along, too. Mitchell has actually asked about going to visit Noah someday so Carla looked up how long a drive it was for him. It was 40 hours of driving. Then they looked up the costs for flying, too, as well as the associated travel times (the driving to the airport, the waiting, the flying etc). He often asks how long it would take to get to X location across the globe somewhere. Geography is one of his favorite topics.

Anyway, meetups would be great. Maybe we could have a SHS convention with a corporate sponsor to fly us all in on the company jet.

BPier12
06-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Anyway, meetups would be great. Maybe we could have a SHS convention with a corporate sponsor to fly us all in on the company jet.

Brilliant! My husband works for Piper. I'll have to get right on that! Although they don't have a jet yet -- that's what he's working on! :D

hockeymom
06-16-2010, 01:56 PM
That's really great. There don't seem to be many people here on the forums that are very close to me. I did pass through NB last week, though I have no idea if I was in a part close to hockeymom. There is another Granite Stater on the forums, but she's on the other side of the state (a 3-4 hour drive).

Have a great time!

Where were you in NB?? That's too bad I didn't know you were coming, or we possibly could have met. That would have been nice--no one comes to visit us way up here! :(

DH wants to go mountain camping this year (I pretty much always vote for the ocean!) and NH is high on his list. I don't know yet if we can swing it or not, or just where we'll end up, but I'll let you know if we end up there.

Shoe
06-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Where were you in NB?? That's too bad I didn't know you were coming, or we possibly could have met. That would have been nice--no one comes to visit us way up here! :(

DH wants to go mountain camping this year (I pretty much always vote for the ocean!) and NH is high on his list. I don't know yet if we can swing it or not, or just where we'll end up, but I'll let you know if we end up there.

We actually just drove through NB on the way to the Gaspe peninsula in Quebec to see my mother in law. We crossed the border at Houlton ME/Woodstock NB, followed the Trans Canada over to St. Leonard, took the 17 to Campbellton, and crossed into Quebec from there. I'll let you know next time we plan on heading up that way. What part of NB do you live in?

New Hampshire has some great hiking and camping in the White Mountains-only a couple of hours from us, at the most.

Wilma
06-16-2010, 04:50 PM
There is a homeschooling ski trip every year in colorado. We are hoping to go this year. Some families in our co-op went last year and said it was a bargain. They got a condo and pretty much kept to themselves. Ski school for the kids and a lot included in the package. I was going to post it here when the info came out again.

Melyssa
06-16-2010, 04:51 PM
I met Trisha from this board. She happened to belong to a group that I was checking out so that was some very weird timing. :-) She was at a field trip we went to at a kangaroo farm.

I am hoping to meet Nathalie if she can make it to Washington later this year on a business trip with her husband.

Then last night I found a woman online via a meetup group who said she'd seen my name on here and we're talking about taking our girls to the park together. She also has a 10 year old girl. I still have to write her back. (should do that now, huh? lol)

I'd love to meet more people via this site, that would be awesome.

Topsy
06-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Second, Michelle, I love the idea of a Flat Topsy! How much fun would that be? Topsy, wanna PM me a picture of you? I can't enlarge your avatar photo... Um, if I sent you a pic of just the top half of me, you wouldn't actually have to do much to create a flat Topsy. :o

(sorry boys. that one was for the girls.)

Also, Topsy and I were planning to meet last November because I was going to visit my in-laws who live 20 min from her, but I forgot to follow through so it didn't happen http://www.secularhomeschool.com/../../images/smilies/frown.gif

Hey, yeah. That's right!!! You owe me a visit, woman!!! :)

Bellanina
06-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Shoe, Ben & Dave can be the cabana boys! (aren't they the only guys on here?)

And I vote for somewhere warm, in January, when it's -45C here in Saskatchewan, and the wind is howling and the snow is blowing.

Arizona isn't a far drive from here, just 2-3 days I think. Hawaii would be nice, but I'll compromise ;)

I'll have to start working at getting more air miles when I shop, so we can fly for free*

(* relatively free, before fees and taxes and such...)

dottieanna29
06-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Count me in on warm and sunny in January. I hate winter although we don't get anywhere near -45C - more like +45F but I'm a wuss.:cool:

Anyone in NJ? The whole state is within 2 1/2 hours no matter where you start from;) (depending on traffic, of course). I'm also going to be in Myrtle Beach, SC in a couple weeks. We're driving down so I guess I'll be hitting every place between NJ and SC as well - straight down 95.

Riceball_Mommy
06-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Count me in on warm and sunny in January. I hate winter although we don't get anywhere near -45C - more like +45F but I'm a wuss.:cool:

Anyone in NJ? The whole state is within 2 1/2 hours no matter where you start from;) (depending on traffic, of course). I'm also going to be in Myrtle Beach, SC in a couple weeks. We're driving down so I guess I'll be hitting every place between NJ and SC as well - straight down 95.

I'm in Maryland so you'll be passing through my state.

Snoopy
06-17-2010, 01:50 AM
Um, if I sent you a pic of just the top half of me, you wouldn't actually have to do much to create a flat Topsy. :o

(sorry boys. that one was for the girls.)

I LOL'd as my 14 year old would say :) Let's just say it was easy to laminate you :P

Topsy
06-17-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm also going to be in Myrtle Beach, SC in a couple weeks.

Myrtle Beach in July. Wow Dottie. You are a brave, brave woman. ;)

dottieanna29
06-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Myrtle Beach in July. Wow Dottie. You are a brave, brave woman. ;)

Not by choice. It's my oldest dd's Nationals for dance. The studio picks where we go based on a vote. It's not as bad as 3 years ago when we were in Orlando in July and I was 9 months pregnant. Thank God for Air Conditioning.

Topsy
06-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Not by choice. It's my oldest dd's Nationals for dance. The studio picks where we go based on a vote. It's not as bad as 3 years ago when we were in Orlando in July and I was 9 months pregnant. Thank God for Air Conditioning.

Holy Cannoli. I was in Ft. Lauderdale in July last year and it was quite a wake-up call for me who thought we in NC had it bad in the summertime. Best of luck to your daughter, though!!!

BPier12
06-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Holy Cannoli. I was in Ft. Lauderdale in July last year and it was quite a wake-up call for me who thought we in NC had it bad in the summertime. Best of luck to your daughter, though!!!

Topsy, you came to Vero Beach today!!! Snoopy has photos -- more later!

Snoopy
06-17-2010, 09:15 PM
I'll post the photos tomorrow, I think because it involves turning on my other PC, which is a PITA because of several issues, and I'm pooped right now :) But Topsy, you had a blast, OK? lol.

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Flat Topsy's adventures are up on the Flat Secular Homeschoolers (http://flatsecularhomeschoolers.blogspot.com/)blog :)

GothicGyrl
06-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Hey, I just sold some books to Beth--cool. I'm not in Vero, but Ruskin. It's actually just south of Tampa. I am about 15 minutes away from Busch Gardens. :)

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Hey, I just sold some books to Beth--cool. I'm not in Vero, but Ruskin. It's actually just south of Tampa. I am about 15 minutes away from Busch Gardens. :) Are you really? I go to Tampa! We have MOSI passes. I want to take Noah to Busch Gardens because he's never been but it's going to have to be when it's cooler, lol. I'm near Clermont, west of Orlando.

GothicGyrl
06-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Okay, we should so meet up for MOSI. I plan on being at MOSI July 13 with my foreign exchange student and my kids. Wanna meet? I know for a fact that I get there right before the doors open. :)

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Oh no, I already have plans with another friend that day! Can you do any other date? PM me! I'm running to the kids Swim League right now, I'll be back later!