PDA

View Full Version : Scavenger Hunt~ take the day off and enjoy nature;)

pandahoneybee
06-16-2010, 09:02 AM
This came across another loop that I'm on....enjoy ~ Michelle

Find all of these things or as many as you can, see how long the wildlife lets you watch them!

__Wild Flowers
__Dead tree
__Pine cone

__Berries
__Vine
__Poison ivy

__Stream or creek
__Blade of grass
__Clover leaf

__Moss
__Pine tree
__Seeds or seed pod

__Eroded soil
__Smooth/shiny rock
__Mud

__Grain of sand
__Fern
__Y-shaped twig

__Trash
__Pine needles
__Acorn or other nuts

__Tree with blossoms
__Hole in a tree
__Ponded area in a creek

__Dark or light green leaf
__Small pebble
__Unusual shaped leaf

__Rocks with many colors
__Different shades of green or brown
__Worm

__Dew on a flower or leaf
__Fungus on a tree
__Animal tracks

__Shows next season is coming
__Caterpillar
__Squirrel

__Bird
__Ant
__Butterfly or moth

__Snail
__Beetle
__Feather

__Lizard
__Ladybug
__Spider web

__Birds nest
__Insects on a tree
__Deer tracks

__Animal hole in the ground
__Deer
__Frog

__Leaf with insect holes
__Evidence of the presence of animals

__Evidence of the presence of people

Listen to:

__Leaves under your feet
__Wind in the trees

__Sound of a bee
__Birds singing

__Cricket
__Water running in a creek

__Noises in the woods

Feel:

__Tree bark
__Prickly plant
__Wet mud

__Rotten wood
__Wind blowing on face
__Texture of various rocks

Smell:

__Pine tree
__Flower
__Mud

__Green grass
__Fresh air
__Cedar tree

Watch:

__Animals eating
__Leaf falling to the ground
__Spider web w/insect

__Ant moving something
__Wind blowing the leaves
__Fish jumping

__Clouds going by
__For something funny
__For something unusual

__Sunlight coming through trees
__Sunrise or sunset
__Stars in the sky

__Lightning Bugs
__Reflection in the water
__Trail markers

__Animal homes or shelters

BPier12
06-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Fun! I think here in FL we will have to substitute coconuts for the pine cone! lol

Shoe
06-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Not a bad idea! Matt's been tired of doing nothing but math for the last days (the only subject of which he hasn't completed "enough" for the year, in my view).

pandahoneybee
06-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Fun! I think here in FL we will have to substitute coconuts for the pine cone! lol
i was going to have them run to the store and see if they could find one there! there are no RULES;)

pandahoneybee
06-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Not a bad idea! Matt's been tired of doing nothing but math for the last days (the only subject of which he hasn't completed "enough" for the year, in my view).
Wow is it a 13 year old thing? that is the subject that Alex is finishing up!

Shoe
06-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Wow is it a 13 year old thing? that is the subject that Alex is finishing up!

Maybe an age thing, but I think in my son's case, it is partly that the public school from which he was withdrawn in October ranks the third worst in the state on math, so it seems like a lot of the kids in that school system are struggling with it-I'm trying to get him caught up, but it's tough.

pandahoneybee
06-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Maybe an age thing, but I think in my son's case, it is partly that the public school from which he was withdrawn in October ranks the third worst in the state on math, so it seems like a lot of the kids in that school system are struggling with it-I'm trying to get him caught up, but it's tough.
I hear ya! When I pulled Alex out and did several assessments of what he should know by that age , it was all over the charts! He has a great understanding of Geometry and even knows how to figure out most Algebra problems (now) but he still struggles with the basic Multipcation and fractions (which of course you have to use in Geometry and Algebra) Good luck, I went back to the beginning with him and we are slowly almost caught up!

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the checklist, it's a great one! My friend and I took the kids to a local state park last month and did the same thing with a scavenger hunt list from Science Explorations (http://www.hometrainingtools.com/nature-hunt-project/a/1341/)and it was fun! It's too hot for us right now (supposed to be 105-109 with the heat index today!) but as soon as it cools off Noah and I will resume "adventuring" in the local city and state parks and we will definitely use your list :)

pandahoneybee
06-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the checklist, it's a great one! My friend and I took the kids to a local state park last month and did the same thing with a scavenger hunt list from Science Explorations (http://www.hometrainingtools.com/nature-hunt-project/a/1341/)and it was fun! It's too hot for us right now (supposed to be 105-109 with the heat index today!) but as soon as it cools off Noah and I will resume "adventuring" in the local city and state parks and we will definitely use your list :)
yea don't miss those temps;) I thought that it only got that hot in August? or at least that's what I remember! I can't remember the name of the spring there in central Fl but it was nice and cold all summer long! stay inside or go to Disney (we used to take little Alex there so he could run thru the sprinklers in DTD)

camaro
06-16-2010, 10:41 AM
I love this idea! It would keep the 3Ms busy for a while and they could find most of it without going too far, too.

I feel for you, Nathalie, too. That sounds like brutal weather! When we finally hit 70 the humidity started to hit me. And now after a couple of days of nice weather we got another half inch of rain yesterday and another 1-1/2 is on the way. Not dangerous like our OK friends but it just never dries out here! I guess we're just lucky it hasn't gotten hot yet or the humidity would be murder here, too. It'll be easy for the boys to find 'mud' from the list, too. ;)

Topsy
06-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Way too hot here for much of any scavenging during the day, but we ARE going out searching tonight for Blue Ghost Fireflies (http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20070605/NEWS/70605004&SearchID=73283369709202%20target=) in the forest after dark!!!

reversemigration
06-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Can I check off the poison ivy from where the rash has covered about half of me? :)

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 01:45 PM
yea don't miss those temps;) I thought that it only got that hot in August? or at least that's what I remember! I can't remember the name of the spring there in central Fl but it was nice and cold all summer long! stay inside or go to Disney (we used to take little Alex there so he could run thru the sprinklers in DTD)

he he, I used to take MY little Alex to DTD for the sprinklers too! I have a great video of him enjoying the ones at Epcot at well, when he was about 18 months-old, I think. :) Wekiwa Springs is what you're probably thinking about, and that's where we had our treasure hunt. I blogged about it there (http://andapinchofcuriosity.blogspot.com/2010/05/wekiwa-springs-state-park.html).

I thought it only got unbearably hot in August as well, but this year is a doozy. I got my power bill yesterday and it was $400. I don't know about the rest of you, but that's way over my budget! Usually we don't hit $300-ish dollars until August as you said, but this is the power bill for MAY.

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 01:47 PM
It'll be easy for the boys to find 'mud' from the list, too. ;) What is this "mud" you talk about? lol. I think Jessica probably has it worse than we do though, Arizona usually seems to be a good 10 to 20 degrees hotter than Florida on the Weather Channel...

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Way too hot here for much of any scavenging during the day, but we ARE going out searching tonight for Blue Ghost Fireflies (http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20070605/NEWS/70605004&SearchID=73283369709202%20target=) in the forest after dark!!! That sounds cool, we love fireflies. We don't seem them very often down here but we chase them on the in-laws lawn in the summertime when we make it up there. I couldn't see the article though, I wonder if too many people are trying to view it.

hockeymom
06-16-2010, 02:08 PM
I LOVE this! What a fun idea!

It sounds like Camaro can relate when I say that the other day, DS and I came inside from working in the garden and we were sweating like crazy. When we checked the temperature, it was only 62! We thought we were going to DIE we were so hot! I guess we acclimated to Canadian weather pretty quickly (though it never does warm up here like it can in SK, but it also never stops raining!). Sorry to hear about the heat Nathalie--you are always welcome up here if you want to cool off! :)

Snoopy
06-17-2010, 02:08 AM
It sounds like Camaro can relate when I say that the other day, DS and I came inside from working in the garden and we were sweating like crazy. When we checked the temperature, it was only 62! We thought we were going to DIE we were so hot! I guess we acclimated to Canadian weather pretty quickly (though it never does warm up here like it can in SK, but it also never stops raining!). Sorry to hear about the heat Nathalie--you are always welcome up here if you want to cool off! :) 62, LOLOLOLOLOL. Thanks, my dear, i might just need to take you up on it if the heat stays the same or gets worse over the next few months!

SunshineKris
06-17-2010, 02:51 AM
Nathalie, I am jealous of your warm temps! It seems that "summer in Germany" means I don't have to wear the winter coat and gloves but still requires long pants and a jacket. I am really homesick for Tampa and it's warmth. (I DO NOT do cold well. Last winter was extremely trying for me.)

THANK YOU Michelle for that wonderful scavenger hunt list. Should the rain finally stop and the sun come out to warm things up a bit I think a "field trip" is in order for me and the kids.

dbmamaz
06-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Wow, i like the scavenger hunt idea - it worked for getting the boys involved in the art museum, maybe it will work outside, too.

We're ok if we go out before noon, but we've had highs in the 90s almost every day this month, and i DONT like it. We're supposedly going to canada to visit the inlaws next month. My daughter was remembering last time we went, 6 mo ago, it got allmost up to 80 and they were complaining. My sil was gardening in jeans and exclaimed "I was sweating!". Um, we sweat here walking to mailbox and back. wearing shorts and a tank top.

jessicalb
06-17-2010, 12:37 PM
I love the idea of this! I may have to come up with a modified city-kid hunt and desert-dweller hunt. :)

Sarbare0704
06-17-2010, 12:57 PM
This is very cool! Jessica if you do come up with a city one I would love to see it! I think we are going to try and do this soon, or maybe even over time. It sounds like a good excuse to go to one of the great parks around here with trails and take a hike!

jessicalb
06-17-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm working on a city one. It's harder than I thought! LOL!

elkhollow
06-17-2010, 01:54 PM
This is wonderful, Michelle. Thank you for sharing:)

jessicalb
06-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Ok! Feel free to add or change this, but here is one for city kids. :)

===City Kid Scavenger Hunt===

Bonus:
Pick up any trash you find
Take digital pictures of everything you find or that catches your eye
Record your observations

Find:

__Wild Flowers
__Evergreen tree
__Deciduous Tree

__Misspelled Sign
__License plates from three different states (not counting your own)
__Construction site

__Fountain
__Blade of grass
__Three kinds of brick

__Sign twirler
__Public Phone
__Mail-person

__Fire truck
__Police Car
__Ambulance

__Sand
__Leaf
__Interesting twig

__Someone with a stroller
__Someone with a backpack
__Someone riding a bike

__Something red
__Something yellow
__Something blue

__Dog
__Cat
__Bird

__Fast food trash
__Coffee trash
__Plastic trash

__Pretty trash
__Useful trash
__Gross trash

__Black road
__Concrete road
__Road with potholes

__Seasonal store display
__Sale
__Bus stop

__Playground
__Sporting field
__Indoor playland

__Street sweeper
__Garbage truck
__Recycling bin or plant

__Lost thing
__Lost money
__Lost paper

__Airplane
__Helicopter
__Balloon

__Government building
__Historic place or object
__Public official

__Stop sign
__Yield sign
__No parking sign

Smell:

__Mexican food
__Italian Food
__Food from some other country

Taste:
__A local edible plant
__A local dish
__A treat

Listen to:

__Traffic
__Adults
__Kids
__Construction

__Animals or bugs
__Wind
__Music

Feel:

__Bricks
__Glass
__Concrete

__Metal
__Wooden power pole
__Something cool
__Something warm

Watch:

__Animals
__Bugs
__Weather effects (wind, sun, rain, snow, etc)

__Traffic patterns
__Air traffic
__People traffic

__Clouds going by
__For something funny
__For something unusual

__Sunlight
__Sunrise or sunset
__Stars in the sky

Sarbare0704
06-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the city one! One question... What is a sign twirler?

jessicalb
06-17-2010, 03:49 PM
We have people on street corners that swing signs around. I guess it's to beat signage regulations, and get people's attention. Some of them are really fun and they dance and flip the sings along their arms or up into the air. It's kind of fun to see those guys. :)

Sarbare0704
06-17-2010, 04:22 PM
that does sound fun! the only time we have people outside with signs here is for going out of business sales lol

Snoopy
06-17-2010, 09:26 PM
__Misspelled Sign Unfortunately, that shouldn't too hard :( My stepdaughter waitresses at a local restaurant and one of our high school sports team is called the Knights. The black board outside the restaurant (to announce the specials) read "Go nights!" so I pointed it out to her over 1 week ago but no one has fixed it. Grrrr.