PDA

View Full Version : Just when I thought I had some curriculum ideas under control....

BPier12
06-16-2010, 08:43 AM
...I received the Rainbow Resource Center catalogue and now I'm more confused than ever!! :p lol!

Shoe
06-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Oh, I know! I haven't been able to sort through that catalog either...but it's useful as a place to find things once you've decided what you want-they do seem to have everything.

pandahoneybee
06-16-2010, 08:59 AM
that catalog gives me a headache and backache when i pick it up;) BUT i know alot of people who order from it all the time!

BPier12
06-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Oh, I know! I haven't been able to sort through that catalog either...but it's useful as a place to find things once you've decided what you want-they do seem to have everything.

I really appreciate the long reviews that they have, but after about an hour and a half of looking at it last night, I was cross-eyed (doesn't help that I'm at a certain age now, ahem, where I'm having to learn how to use reading glasses...).

jessicalb
06-16-2010, 10:31 AM
That catalog is so giant! It took serious effort to coax it out of our tiny mailbox!

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 10:34 AM
I really appreciate the long reviews that they have, but after about an hour and a half of looking at it last night, I was cross-eyed (doesn't help that I'm at a certain age now, ahem, where I'm having to learn how to use reading glasses...).
I just placed a big order with them a couple of weeks ago and told them NOT to send me a catalog but they sent me one anyway, grrrr! Like Shoe, I use it only to find products that I have found out about through other sources. Their online catalog isn't very well organized, sometimes they have an item in there but searching for it by name doesn't seem to find it right away, it's odd. I do like their prices though.

I've been using reading glasses for about 6 years now and I'm resigned to them. As a matter of fact, I seem to be needing glasses all the time not just when I read and last year my dr. warned me I'd be ready for bifocals at my next appointment, which is next week. Sigh. Another thing that's "biting the dust". Oh the indignity of gaining years!

StartingOver
06-16-2010, 10:45 AM
I alaso love Rainbow Resource catalog, but I never open it unless I know what I want already. You could spend literally millions in there.

Whenever I order something for school, I immediately find something that looks cooler !! It is just the way it is for me. I make a decision one year at a time, then have the whole year to research for the next one.

I just got tri focals ( my first glasses ) and they are soooooooo hard to get used to.

Marmalade
06-16-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm a catalogue junky and I just ordered this one last week. I'm completely unsure of what I want to do next year so I will spend the next month or so reading this catalogue and jumping on here!

MamaB2C
06-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Is the catalog better at labeling item "Secular" than the website is?

BPier12
06-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Is the catalog better at labeling item "Secular" than the website is?

I've found that sometimes you have read deeply into a review to find out whether the item offered has a Christian slant. I've seen very little so far that is explicitly labeled secular.

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 01:37 PM
I just got tri focals ( my first glasses ) and they are soooooooo hard to get used to. Jana, I didn't even know those existed! I'm off to research what they are. It took me a while to get used to just plain reading glasses, it kept on giving me nausea. Now I can't see anything without them. I have to have Noah read labels to me in the store if I forget them in the car!

StartingOver
06-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Jana, I didn't even know those existed! I'm off to research what they are. It took me a while to get used to just plain reading glasses, it kept on giving me nausea. Now I can't see anything without them. I have to have Noah read labels to me in the store if I forget them in the car!

Trifocals means I am blind LOL Far away, close up, and at the ends of my arms. I can't see anything but a big ole blur without my glasses. Somewhere between getting pregnant with Emma at 38 and giving birth to her, I just lost it all. You all know those big green highway signs...... well the last straw was when I couldn't read them LOL. My eye sight is 85/20 and it all happened in just about 9 months time. My eye doctor tripped and ran all sorts of tests, but it was just my time to fall over the "hill " LOL.

The tri is for about the length of your arm, or computer-ish viewing.

firefly
06-17-2010, 02:48 PM
When I hit 40 I lost my eyesight, hair, & bladder control all at once! Why the weight didn't fall off is still a mystery?

Alatexan68, What big green highway signs? They still have those? I haven't seen them in years! Just had a vision screening at the mall & they wanted my 11 yr old to drive me home! (I was 20/100 w/o my "reading" glasses!)

As for that confounded Rainbow catalogue...? When I found it in the bottom of a bag full of newly purchased "Summer Bridge Activity" books, I grabbed it & slammed it into the closest trash can I could find! Do you know the unproductive weeks I could spend between those pages? I never have enough & I'm never happy enough w/ what I get! My kids will just have to be stupid! LOL!

Busygoddess
06-17-2010, 03:24 PM
I've found that sometimes you have read deeply into a review to find out whether the item offered has a Christian slant. I've seen very little so far that is explicitly labeled secular.

They tend to be better at letting you know if it's secular or religious in the descriptions of Science & History products. Those are more likely to start out 'This curriculum, from a Christian publisher,' or have a comment about a 'Christian worldview' early on in the description. I've only had two products that I purchased from there that were more religious than I had thought. The Biology Lab book I bought - has many lab ideas, instructions, materials list, and you can get a separate book to go with it for lab sheets - I didn't realize it was from a Christian publisher, so was rather surprised when I opened it up & found a Bible passage at the beginning of the first lab. The Math program I'm using for Jay - the site said that the word problems had some Christian overtones & a customer review mentioned that it used interesting fact from the Bible and Guiness world records - so I figured it had an occasional reference that wouldn't really be that disruptive. Boy was I wrong. So far, the religious aspect is barely noticable, until you get to the sections on Graphing. Then, it wants you to look things up, in the Bible, to graph. So, we end up using free online worksheets or graphing M&Ms, for that section. Other than the 'graphing the Bible' sections, I love this Math program & Jay will finish it (it's 1st-6th grade, Mastery program, for less than $150).
Those are the only bad experiences I've had as a result of decriptions that are unclear about whether the product is religious or secular. Considering we've been buying most of our materials from them for years, that's not bad.
I love my RR catalog & truly enjoy looking through it at all the options.

Sarbare0704
06-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Well now I had to go request this catalog after reading this LOL Lets see if it pulls the mail box off the house! Any other catalogs I must have?

Wilma
06-17-2010, 08:25 PM
I love RR. I know people who read it and find the neatest stuff, like crayon sharpeners and classic books. I never have the patience. I am often surprised at some of the stuff they carry. I don't know if they still have it, but they used to carry The Teenage Liberation Handbook. I was also a little surprised that they carried A Thomas Jefferson Education. I have found the most stuff is not labeled secular unless it is science.

Wilma
06-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Well now I had to go request this catalog after reading this LOL Lets see if it pulls the mail box off the house! Any other catalogs I must have?

Timberdoodle has some fun stuff, but be warned, they also carry the Henty books, which are great, but they suggest taking out pages and whiting out things. These books were written over 100 years ago, how offensive can they be?! And doing that to a book is sacrilege. But, believe it or not, they do carry a lot of secular or neutral stuff. Fun things like science kits and puzzles, cute games for little ones. I love looking at the catalog, but you really have to ignore some of the commentary.

Lakeshore is a good one. Chinaberry books is also excellent.

Sarbare0704
06-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks! now my mail box will be bursting for sure! :)

Melyssa
06-17-2010, 10:23 PM
That catalog wreaks havoc with my ADD so I don't get it any more. LOL

StartingOver
06-17-2010, 10:26 PM
When I hit 40 I lost my eyesight, hair, & bladder control all at once! Why the weight didn't fall off is still a mystery?

Alatexan68, What big green highway signs? They still have those? I haven't seen them in years! Just had a vision screening at the mall & they wanted my 11 yr old to drive me home! (I was 20/100 w/o my "reading" glasses!)

As for that confounded Rainbow catalogue...? When I found it in the bottom of a bag full of newly purchased "Summer Bridge Activity" books, I grabbed it & slammed it into the closest trash can I could find! Do you know the unproductive weeks I could spend between those pages? I never have enough & I'm never happy enough w/ what I get! My kids will just have to be stupid! LOL!

My husbands first words were, " And you have been driving us around ??? ". My eye doctor called my husband, they are friends, because he didn't want me driving even the 2 miles home.

Wilma
06-17-2010, 10:52 PM
My dad tried trifocals and quit because they made him nauseous.

paganmomblog
06-18-2010, 06:35 AM
Timberdoodle has some fun stuff, but be warned, they also carry the Henty books, which are great, but they suggest taking out pages and whiting out things. These books were written over 100 years ago, how offensive can they be?! And doing that to a book is sacrilege. But, believe it or not, they do carry a lot of secular or neutral stuff. Fun things like science kits and puzzles, cute games for little ones. I love looking at the catalog, but you really have to ignore some of the commentary.

Lakeshore is a good one. Chinaberry books is also excellent.

Thank you!

pandahoneybee
06-18-2010, 10:05 AM
just got the new catalog I think that it is bigger than the last one!

paganmomblog
06-18-2010, 10:37 AM
just got the new catalog I think that it is bigger than the last one!

I have been looking through it this morning and I am finding lots of new stuff. I like their curriculums for beginners. Not sure if I will get that or not. I am thinking about getting a curriculum for the oldest and trying it out. Then at least I have something to pass on to the other 2.

firefly
06-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Alatexan68, My last pair of glasses had that awful line across the lenses b/c my insurance wouldn't cover the graduated bifocals I had become accustomed to. The new glasses gave me a case of vertigo for days each time I'd try them & I just went back to the old ones. Both kids need new glasses like each year & with all the other expenses (braces x2) I face being a single mom... I really just forgot to take care of me. Until I started noticing I couldn't read those big green highway signs anymore! I just need to buy a couple of new computers to hs & a new van & then...