PDA

View Full Version : Patting myself on the back

AmyButler
07-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Now remember, I have only been homeschooing since January, so I am new at this, but I am so proud of myself right now! My daughter is a kinesthetic learner, which is a bit of a challenge at time, and I have finally defeated (at least until she gets bored of it) the spelling test monster! I bought a deck of Quiddler cards last night to play with, but decided this morning to try the for the test. I read her the spelling words and let her spell them with the cards instead of on paper! I have never had her giggling while doing spelling before!!

Yea Mom!!

It's the little things some days :)

dbmamaz
07-13-2012, 01:04 PM
sounds good!

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
07-13-2012, 01:15 PM
I love those "Damn, I'm brilliant!" moments. Pat away and enjoy the moment!

naturegirl7
07-13-2012, 04:44 PM
YAY! Go Mom! Those outside the box, making learning fun moments are so awesome :)

Pefa
07-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Hip Hip Hooray!

lynne
07-13-2012, 09:00 PM
That's great!

Fiddler
07-13-2012, 09:53 PM
I read her the spelling words and let her spell them with the cards instead of on paper! I have never had her giggling while doing spelling before!!

Great idea, and way to go, Amy!

Deli76
07-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Way to go mom!!!

raegan
07-17-2012, 12:16 AM
filing this one away for my own kinesthetic learner... ;) Thanks!

AmyButler
07-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Another kinesthetic spelling thing I am trying is a shower curtain idea I found on Pintrest. I think it was being used to identify geomeric shapes there. I had her divide the curtain into 25 blocks and write a letter on each box, with y and z together on the final box. I read her her spelling words, and she gets to jump from one letter to the next while calling them out. Maybe if I keep finding kinesthetic ways for her to learn, I can wear her out and she will actually sleep at night. It would be nice.

JinxieFox
07-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Great job Amy!

A big part of that first year is learning what works best for your child, and once you hit on something that works, it is such a wonderful feeling. :)

naturegirl7
07-17-2012, 03:22 PM
That shower curtain idea is AMAZING! I have got to try that.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
07-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Another kinesthetic spelling thing I am trying is a shower curtain idea I found on Pintrest. I think it was being used to identify geomeric shapes there. I had her divide the curtain into 25 blocks and write a letter on each box, with y and z together on the final box. I read her her spelling words, and she gets to jump from one letter to the next while calling them out. Maybe if I keep finding kinesthetic ways for her to learn, I can wear her out and she will actually sleep at night. It would be nice.

Hey, maybe do the same thing for multiplication tables--draw a giant 1-100 chart instead of letters. What kind of shower curtain did you use, Amy--vinyl or cloth? This could be fun!

AmyButler
07-17-2012, 04:33 PM
I just got a cheap opague liner. I figured if it worked well, I could upgrade :)