PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for a math program

sparky
07-12-2012, 12:57 PM
My son is struggling with math. I need something visual and simple. I think we have a lot of gaps to fill. Any suggestions? He is between a 5th and 6th grade level.

dbmamaz
07-12-2012, 08:06 PM
have you looked at teaching textbooks? its a less challenging, dvd-based program which a lot of ppl like

dragonfly
07-14-2012, 12:41 AM
Thinkwell (http://www.thinkwellhomeschool.com/) is great. It starts with sixth grade, it's all online, and they offer a two week free trial. Homeschool Buyer's Co-op has sales periodically, too. The professor is wonderful, easy to understand, and goofy.

farrarwilliams
07-14-2012, 12:55 AM
Math Mammoth can be good for gaps because you can buy the blue series, which breaks everything down into topics and isn't labeled by grade. The Key to... series also does this to some extent, though I don't have experience with that one.

h5rus
07-14-2012, 11:08 AM
We use ALEKS math: http://www.aleks.com/. We're currently doing grade 5 and love it! You can have your child do an assessment to see where to start.

Good luck finding what works for you!

PrairiePoppins
07-27-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm really happy with Teaching Textbooks. The fact that they provide step-by-step solutions to all the problems means that my kids can learn from their mistakes instantly. The customer service is fabulous there, too. Never once have they been rushed, busy, or out of sorts. I always feel like a real person to them when I call.

ginnyjf
07-27-2012, 11:54 AM
I used Teaching Textbooks until I discovered that Zack does much better with a mastery approach rather than a spiral approach. Now we use IXL and Reflex Math online and have had great success with both.

Pefa
07-27-2012, 06:33 PM
what aspect is he having trouble with? BOO used aleks last year and wan't thrilled - they don't give great explanations. right now he's working with a free trial of your teacher which isn't perfect but the videos do a good job of walking through the steps.

He actually did best with saxon but I don't have enough time to teach him right now:(

gypsylovecircus
07-29-2012, 05:23 PM
You said you are looking for "visual"...what do you mean by that?
I know my daughter really wanted a math program that had pictures (after 5th grade everything looks so boring), so we are going with Calvert this year (6th grade).

Also, Spectrum Math workbooks are a good way to catch up and have nice visuals!

RubyRain
08-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Another thumbs up for Teaching textbooks here. We've used it for 3 years and very happy with it. You can take a sample test on their web-site to check which level to start at. My kids like it because the lessons are not too long, there are hints for some of the questions, and the graphics are fun.

kimgoldman
01-19-2013, 10:51 AM
LOVE Thinkwell. My 6th grade by age, high schooler by curriculum HATED math until Thinkwell. Now it's the first class she reaches for every week. (I set the weekly goals, she picks what to do when.)

wendygrace
01-20-2013, 12:04 PM
We use Singapore Math. My son is very much a visual learner and he needs manipulatives. Singapore (Primary Mathematics) also has a book called "Visible Thinking in Mathematics" that can help with the remediation. It is arranged topically so when the book isn't enough, or I want him to have a bit of extra practice to cement a concept, I pull out that book. The book takes a concept from visual to conceptual at a very nice rate for kids who need the concrete to get the conceptual. This will only work through 6th grade though. I don't know much about their above 6th grade curriculum. I know it changes but not sure how much yet as we are just finishing 4b right now.