PDA

View Full Version : possibly a stupid question...

Marmalade
06-15-2010, 05:48 PM
My son will be 5 on the day that it is said that he needs to be 6 on or before that date...you know...the kindergarten enrollment date...so I don't legally have to let the county know anything about his education for over a year.

I don't want to register him as a homeschooler this coming year but I do want to begin his official homeschooling (one less child to have paper work on...yeah, just a wee bit lazy!) He's not going to know that he's not legally registered and no one else is going to know that he's not registered and I know that it doesn't matter at all what grade level my homeschooled children are studying.... It's basically just all paper-work anyway, right?

Does anyone see any reason this would be a problem for us down the line? Like if for some reason (some unimaginable-hope it never happens-reason) he has to go to public school....

Snoopy
06-15-2010, 06:00 PM
There are no stupid questions (just stupid people... and you're not one of them because it's probably a question other people have wondered before!) Nope, I can't see any problems with it. Whether he does Kindergarten-level work or 1st grade or whatever level you assign to him while you homeschool him, a public school probably would try to stick him in whatever grade kids his age are, unless you press the issue with the principal. Then they might evaluate him and assign him to a higher (or lower) grade. Someone I knew homeschooled her kid until he was 7 and then he went to public school. She was worried about him being challenged because he was already studying at 2nd grade level, so the principal and his potential 2nd grade teacher spoke with him and looked at her portfolio and decided to let him skip a grade and enter 2nd grade, and he's been doing fine from what I heard.

MamaB2C
06-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Depends on your state or local school policies (mine is entirely the state, not the local districts).

DS can't go to school here until 2011, due to the age cut off. I am already home educating him. If at any point I put him in public school, even in 5 years, he will be assigned to the grade he would be in had he enrolled in Kindergarten per the age policy. It doesn't matter what work he is doing.

dbmamaz
06-15-2010, 07:29 PM
I've also been told that, if you have to declare a grade for your child as part of your homeschool paperwork, you should declare his grade corresponding to his age, but teach whatever curriculum you want. Then, if he is ready to graduate before 18, just say he's graduated. At least around here, the administrators can get wierd if you dont show that you've home schooled each grade, but they dont say anything when you declare they have graduated.

StartingOver
06-15-2010, 08:09 PM
There aren't any stupid questions in thie journey we are on. We have all been new once with many of the same questions. I would not notify anyone till the mandatory age. I always call my children their age - public school - related grade. I have only had one child go to public school, my oldest son wanted the experience. So he attended his senior year, of course I had already graduated him from my homeschool. He had done countless hours of community college. So school wasn't about academics for him, it was about football, prom, and the social end of it.

You might chedk your state or district rules. Here in my part of Texas you can't put a child into the public school system after the beginning of 9th, unless it is without expecting a diploma. There is no testing allowed for it. So children here either go to high school, or homeschool high school. I know when I was in Alaska you could attend after testing, no matter what the grade. I have not heard of anyone not being able to put their K - 8th chld in public school. Some places even allow testing to find out proper grade levels, but it is determined by your state and or district.

Wilma
06-16-2010, 07:28 AM
I don't think there would be a problem. In our area, if a homeschooled child goes to ps. especially in the early grades, they just give them a placement test. I know that would have been an issue for us for another reason. My oldest started K in CA, where the cut off for starting K was 12/2. In OK, the cut off is 9/1. As she has a Sept. birthday, she would have had to sit out a year in OK. At one point we thought about putting t them into school and the school district said they give placement tests for children 3d grade and under in that situation.

Riceball_Mommy
06-16-2010, 10:04 AM
I don't think you'll have a problem in Maryland the age is 5, but we started homeschooling last year with Pre-K. I even filled out the notification letter and sent it in, but they called me to tell me that I because of her age she I didn't need to notify them so just send it again next year.

Marmalade
06-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks everyone!

I really hope I never have to worry about putting them into a regular school but there's no sense in sabotaging it if it has to happen.

He was asking me for school work this morning...silly boy!