PDA

View Full Version : TX Car seat law, in case you haven't heard !!!!

StartingOver
06-15-2010, 05:25 PM
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/public_information/pr060209.pdf

Clarification is on the link above. Texas changed the law in Sept 2009, but have been trying to get the message out. They will stop give warnings the end of this month.

A friend of mine was in a minor fender bender last week, and the local law is trying to charge her with felony child endangerment, her son was 6 and without a car seat at the time.

Texas law states children must be in a car seat until 8 years of age..... the only way it is legal to ride without one under the age of 8, is if your child is 4'9" tall.

Sarbare0704
06-15-2010, 05:33 PM
This has also been the law in Wisconsin for a while now although as far as I can tell they are not as strict on it as they seem to be there! I wish they would be! Im one of those crazy moms who is always calling and "tattling" when I see little kids in the front seat and things like that. I have some strong car seat safety feelings I guess.

StartingOver
06-15-2010, 06:23 PM
ME TOO !!!

Sara mine are in a Nautilus, 5 point harness to 65 pound and good to 100 pounds. I bought them on the kids 2nd birthdays as there was a rumor that this law would pass. I am good. I love the law, and would have no issue if they make it even stricter. I have been and EMT here, and have seen the damage done to children in car wrecks that aren't properly restrained !

Sarbare0704
06-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Yeah I have Lucy in a Britax Frontier which does 5 point until 85 lbs booster to 120 and Sam is in a Boulevard which rear faces to 35lbs and forward to 65 hopefully by the time he out grows that Lucy will be old enough to not need a seat and he can move into her frontier. I agree I would be just fine with stricter laws! In fact I really wish they would change the rear facing to 2 years which I believe the AAP is now recommending.

camaro
06-15-2010, 07:25 PM
TX laws are definitely far more strict than here in SK. Children over 40 pounds here are not legally required to be in a booster seat even, though it is strongly recommended. Michael is over 40 and he's only just turned 5. He rides in booster seat still, though. His twin Matthew is still just over 30 pounds and uses a 5-pt. He's going to be there a while since he just doesn't grow that fast. Mitchell is about 75 pounds and rides with a regular seatbelt only.

dbmamaz
06-15-2010, 07:26 PM
The first time I drove on the highway after having an accident where I rolled over ON the highway, a car sped by me with a toddler sitting on someone's lap in the front seat. I almost burst in to tears.

But that is the point of a law . . . to be enforced.

Sarbare0704
06-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Oh man! That would have made me so upset too! The people around here don't enforce the laws at all! About a year ago while sitting in a very long line at the bank we realized the lady next to us had her carrier turned forward! Im not even sure how you can buckle it that way! Anyways we called the non emergency number and the operator just said "so whats the big deal?" They did send someone but it was conveniently just as in seconds after she pulled away!

StartingOver
06-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Yeah I have Lucy in a Britax Frontier which does 5 point until 85 lbs booster to 120 and Sam is in a Boulevard which rear faces to 35lbs and forward to 65 hopefully by the time he out grows that Lucy will be old enough to not need a seat and he can move into her frontier. I agree I would be just fine with stricter laws! In fact I really wish they would change the rear facing to 2 years which I believe the AAP is now recommending.

You do know that carseats have an expiration date. My Nautilus is only good for 6 years.

StartingOver
06-15-2010, 07:56 PM
TX laws are definitely far more strict than here in SK. Children over 40 pounds here are not legally required to be in a booster seat even, though it is strongly recommended. Michael is over 40 and he's only just turned 5. He rides in booster seat still, though. His twin Matthew is still just over 30 pounds and uses a 5-pt. He's going to be there a while since he just doesn't grow that fast. Mitchell is about 75 pounds and rides with a regular seatbelt only.

Texas was 4 years old no matter the weight when my children ( now in their 20's ) were young. I think the law changed to 6 before this change to 8 or 4'9, but not sure. Mine are little so they never came out of a carseat. I had every intention of keeping mine in a carseat till 100 pounds or the max height on their carseat which is 5'.

StartingOver
06-15-2010, 08:00 PM
The first time I drove on the highway after having an accident where I rolled over ON the highway, a car sped by me with a toddler sitting on someone's lap in the front seat. I almost burst in to tears.

But that is the point of a law . . . to be enforced.

That would have upset me too, I regularly call in on children unrestrained. The day my Quince was born a baby was brought into the children hospital who was ejected from his mothers car still strapped in his carseat. The latches on the infant carrier with a handle, broke. He slid down the road, face down and only had road rash on his forehead, hands and feet.

Carseats are way better now than 20 years ago. Back when my children were in the carriers they only had 3 point harness, I have no doubt that child would not have survived in one of the old ones.

Sarbare0704
06-15-2010, 08:12 PM
You do know that carseats have an expiration date. My Nautilus is only good for 6 years.

Yes I know! The Frontier is good for 9 and we just got it less then a year ago.

hockeymom
06-15-2010, 08:17 PM
I regularly see little kids here riding in the front seat of cars and trucks. I'm a complete nut about using car seats (and seat belts for adults, for that matter) and it just makes me so upset. I'm glad to see other people here who get as angry as I do about this issue. To me it's just plain laziness and ought to be considered child endangerment. Good for everyone here who calls them in!

jessicalb
06-15-2010, 08:21 PM
I am a total car seat nut, too. What drives me nuts is infants in-arms on airplanes. I realize most flights don't have dangerous turbulence, but I have been on flights that were bouncing all over the place. Alex in a car seat was cooing and laughing. Alex on my lap would have soon been Alex bouncing around against hard metal edges. Scary!

StartingOver
06-15-2010, 08:24 PM
I regularly see little kids here riding in the front seat of cars and trucks. I'm a complete nut about using car seats (and seat belts for adults, for that matter) and it just makes me so upset. I'm glad to see other people here who get as angry as I do about this issue. To me it's just plain laziness and ought to be considered child endangerment. Good for everyone here who calls them in!

LOL I have an Aunt who uses a booster seat to this day. She weighs 65 pounds soaking wet, and is only 4 foot 2. She used to use blocks on her pedals before boosters. She is 75 and still drives with one.

SunshineKris
06-16-2010, 01:26 AM
PLEASE don't call me anti-car seat. Obviously I use one for Raines as he's only 4. I live in Germany now where the requirement is a child in a car seat or booster seat till age 12! It's a bit crazy.

Now, that said, it is really time to lobby the car industry to make seat belts more "user friendly." (Read SuperFreakonomics,by Stephen Drubner and Steven Levitt.) It's been pointed out that back seat passengers are typically children. Seat belts can and should be made to adjust to proper heights. The default setting should be for kids. This isn't difficult. Many cars have height adjustable seat belts in the front seat. And then look at the studies that show we need car seats for ever-increasing ages and heights/weights. These studies are funded by companies that make children's products, namely car seats. It's time to look at the problem differently (not just this problem but many others) and come up with solutions that make sense.

My older kids did use booster seats until they were tall enough to not have the seat belt cut across their throats when without the corrective seat. Raines will do the same. And they do not ever sit in the front seat (well, Skipper did once and dh took every precaution he could). I'm just saying there are better solutions out there that would benefit families more than car seat companies.

dottieanna29
06-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Our car (a Suburban) has adjusters for the shoulder belts in the back seats for shorter passengers. Here in NJ the car seat law is 8 years or 80 pounds. This came in effect after my oldest was around that age so we didn't have to worry about it. She was probably over 80 pounds at that point as well.

I was leaving one of oldest dd's dance competitions and saw two adults in a sports car with a baby sitting on the passengers lap. And they were driving way too fast for the back road they were on and almost hit me (in a Suburban, which car do you think would'be had the most damage??). I don't see that very often since I do think the cops around here will stop someone for that kind of thing, but I do see young kids sitting in front seats all the time. Even leaving the elementary schools. I often think the teachers or principal should stand outside at the end of the day and look at what people are doing when they pick up their kids (since few of them are probably over 12).

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 01:32 PM
We started letting Noah sit in the front seat a couple of months ago. I admit I don't even know what the Florida law is for that.

Added: I just found this chart (http://www.infant-car-seats.com/states/car-seats-laws-Florida.html)for Florida. I guess it's not recommended until they're 12. He's been out of the booster seat for 2 years but they recommend using one until the age of 9.

Shoe
06-16-2010, 01:38 PM
We started letting Noah sit in the front seat a couple of months ago. I admit I don't even know what the Florida law is for that.

I let both my kids ride in the front seat...but they are both taller than and weigh more than my wife, one of them is a teenager and the other bigger than most kids in her class, so an argument based on their age alone seems pretty untenable to me. New Hampshire has child seat/booster seat laws, but my kids have long since passed those limits, but I don't think NH has a law about being a certain age/size to ride up front. (NH is also the only state, I think, that does NOT require adults over age 18 to wear seat belts-but you can bet that everybody riding in my vehicle will wear one. Working in the ER, I've seen far too many deaths and serious injuries that result from ejection.)

Melissa541
06-16-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm a crazy carseat lady, too. My nearly-nine year old is still in a booster; nearly-two year old is still rear facing & my four year old is in a five point harness (I'd have her RFing, too, if there were seats to accomodate her!).

A couple of months ago we were having lunch in the van before going into the library & a woman came out with two older children (10-12ish), two infants in a double stroller & a toddler. They all walked up to a four door sedan & I wondered how she was going to fit everyone in. The two infants & toddler went into the three carseats strapped into the backseat, the older boy sat in the front seat and the older girl WAS MADE TO LIE DOWN ACROSS THE FLOOR OF THE BACKSEAT! Are you freakin' kidding me lady?! I cannot think of anything I need at the library that badly. Ca-razy.

jessicalb
06-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Melissa, I know a ton of people who double-buckle kids or have kids sit on the floor of vans. They justify by saying that it's technically legal. :( :( :(

Snoopy
06-17-2010, 01:59 AM
I'm a crazy carseat lady, too. My nearly-nine year old is still in a booster; nearly-two year old is still rear facing & my four year old is in a five point harness (I'd have her RFing, too, if there were seats to accomodate her!).

A couple of months ago we were having lunch in the van before going into the library & a woman came out with two older children (10-12ish), two infants in a double stroller & a toddler. They all walked up to a four door sedan & I wondered how she was going to fit everyone in. The two infants & toddler went into the three carseats strapped into the backseat, the older boy sat in the front seat and the older girl WAS MADE TO LIE DOWN ACROSS THE FLOOR OF THE BACKSEAT! Are you freakin' kidding me lady?! I cannot think of anything I need at the library that badly. Ca-razy.

When I was little my parents took us to Club Med in Sicily (South of Italy). We drove all the way down from the East of France and it was a loooong trip and we had a small sedan. For naps and for night time driving, I lied on the back floor (I was 5), my younger brother (3) laid down on the back seat, and my infant brother (less than 1 year) was on the back shelf over the truck (whatever that's called). There weren't any seatbelts in the car and my parents both smoked. Also my mom gave me some diamond-shaped hard candy during the trip which managed to lodge itself in my throat as we were in the middle of the Tunnel of the Mont Blanc (nowhere to stop and it's a looooong tunnel) and I almost choked to death. Good times, good times.

Snoopy
06-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Melissa, I know a ton of people who double-buckle kids or have kids sit on the floor of vans. They justify by saying that it's technically legal. :( :( :( Here it's kids riding in the back of pick-up trucks. It's illegal but a bunch of people do it. Some kid got ejected onto the interstate a couple of weeks ago :(

Melissa541
06-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Nathalie, that made me giggle. I remember some crazy things my parents let us do during car trips: sitting in my dad's lap, steering on long stretches of straight, empty highway; bouncing along in the back of the bronco on dirt roads. Infact, for a short time my mother had a two-seater; my younger brother would sit in my lap, the shoulder strap across me & the lap belt across him. I cannot imagine what that woman would say to me today if I tried to put her grandchildren in a car like that. :)

**Oh gosh, I just read about the kid being ejected...that was NOT the post that made me giggle, obviously. Yikes!**

Snoopy
06-17-2010, 09:05 PM
**Oh gosh, I just read about the kid being ejected...that was NOT the post that made me giggle, obviously. Yikes!** Melissa, I admit that I wondered about that for a second, lol. I'm laughing at your "I cannot imagine what that woman would say to me today if I tried to put her grandchildren in a car like that." comment. So true! :) My mom would probably deny that any of this ever happened!