PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else here knit?

Wilma
06-15-2010, 10:37 AM
I had to trade in my very large wool project to a small cotton one due to the heat. There must be other knitters here.:)

Shoe
06-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I had to trade in my very large wool project to a small cotton one due to the heat. There must be other knitters here.:)

I recently tried knitting at the suggestion of an old high school classmate who felt it might help my insomnia...I started to try to knit a scarf. There were 29 stitches cast on (is that the right term?) the first row, but after about twenty rows I seem to be up to 56 stitches, and there is a huge hole in the middle of it...I don't think I'm cut out to be a knitter (nor did it cure my insomnia-the frustration just made me more awake).

hockeymom
06-15-2010, 11:08 AM
I finally took up knitting this winter, and I love it! I am just still learning though and haven't gotten past the garter stitch. Can't figure out purling to save my life, but I am figuring out how to increase stitches and that was easier than I thought it might be so there's hope yet. I'm currently working on a cotton head scarf thingy for camping, but I failed to take into consideration that it's a very light weight and I'm using very small needles so it's taking forever.

Shoe--that's hilarious! Good for you for trying; my little guy wants to learn so badly but I'm not good enough yet to help him and our knitting shop never offers classes for kids. For the record, I think it is very cool when men can do things like knit and sew. Quite trendy too--bet you didn't know that! ;) If you ever want to try again, there are awesome videos on youtube that show you just what to do--that's how I finally cracked the code.

Ann, what are you working on?

jessicalb
06-15-2010, 11:26 AM
I would love to learn to knit! So far, I tangle yarn. ;)

Shoe
06-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Shoe--that's hilarious! Good for you for trying; my little guy wants to learn so badly but I'm not good enough yet to help him and our knitting shop never offers classes for kids. For the record, I think it is very cool when men can do things like knit and sew. Quite trendy too--bet you didn't know that! ;) If you ever want to try again, there are awesome videos on youtube that show you just what to do--that's how I finally cracked the code.

I think I'll stick to sewing up skin-I do a really nice job of suturing lacerations, if I do say so myself...but I don't seem to do well with wool or cloth. I did check out some videos on YouTube, and had my wife try to teach me. I think part of my problem is that I'm left handed, and that just added a lot of confusion to the whole picture. I didn't know it was trendy, no, but I did get some ribbing from others around me. But that's okay-I'm secure enough in myself to try new things...and fail.

BPier12
06-15-2010, 11:39 AM
but after about twenty rows I seem to be up to 56 stitches, and there is a huge hole in the middle of it....

Shoe, it isn't a scarf now, it is art! ;)

You may be unintentionally increasing your stitches by wrapping the yarn around your needle before you are inserting it in the stitch on the other needle thereby adding another loop of yarn. The hole may be from a dropped stitch. Don't give up!! If you can stomach the thought of frogging (rip it, rip it...) the whole thing and starting over, you may have an easier time of it the second time. I've been knitting for years and I still have to start over quite frequently!

Sarbare0704
06-15-2010, 12:22 PM
A couple months ago I decided I wanted to learn how to knit went and bought stuff and started watching youtube videos when I got home. I then discovered that loom knitting looked much easier LOL So I went and bought a bunch of looms. I was so excited and pumped to knit my heart out! I started working on a scarf that I was crocheting and failed miserably at . I got like a quarter of a way done and got bored LOL! I have a problem with that I tend to start new hobbies get really excited and then get lazy! One of these days when I'm not so busy (with what I could not tell you LOL) Maybe I can stick with something!! Because I would love to know how to do these things!

EruraScribus
06-15-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't knit, but I crochet (I "tangle yarn" with hooks instead of sticks LOL). I've tried knitting, but just somehow can't quite get it. I tend to work too tightly and twist my stiches.

I grew up with women who do both, so it's perfectly natural to me. Both my daughters crochet, too. My son doesn't have the attention span and fine motor control (yet) to learn to.

For those who are interested, there's a site called Ravelry.com for fiber fanatics, and there's a group there for secular homeschoolers. Lots of inspiration there.

@ Shoe: it can be incredibly frustrating for a lefty to learn handicrafts like this. Maybe there's a YouTube vid specifically for left-handed knitting? The conventional wisdom is for the lefty student to sit in front of the righty teacher and mirror their movements.

Wilma
06-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Shoe, that is very funny! IT is also a very common mistake. Once you know how it happens it is easy to avoid, but I can't explain it, I could just show you. So I guess you are stuck making decorative collars. The people in my homechooling group got me into knitting. We take field trip for the moms up to Tulsa to a really nice yarn store up there. I taught someone to knit at a swim meet because I carry extra yarn and needles with me. I have learned there is a yarn store in Fort Worth that is organized by color so it is very visually interesting. I am making Hermione's Knitting Bag from the Harry Potter knitting book but it is wool so I probably won't finish it until the fall. I'm making dishtowels now. I go so hooked I had my hubby buy me these (http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Options_Interchangeable_Harmony_Wood_Circular_Knit ting_Needle_Set__D90306.html) needles for Christmas. They are very cool to look at while knitting. I can't believe I get so excited over knitting needles. Maybe I should be Mrs. Weasley instead of Wilma. Or perhaps Grommit.

But I can stop anytime I want. Really.

paganmomblog
06-15-2010, 01:46 PM
I knit. Haven't recently, just been too busy. Hopefully when we find our routine I will be able to squeeze it in.

hockeymom
06-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Ravelry is a fantastic site. I'm part of our local group but I didn't know there is a homeschooling group too--can't wait to check that out!

Ann, I knit in public too. I'm not sure anyone around here knows what to think of it, but it's common enough down in Maine. Funny how in one place NO ONE will mention it, but in another (not too far away) it solicits all sorts of positive interest. I've been wanting to try dishtowels; maybe that's what I'll work on while I try to master purling! That way if it's ugly, it's only me who will care!:)

I like the idea of using old sweaters for the yarn. Does anyone else do that? I use thrifted wool sweaters for crafting too (making purses, stuffed monsters, etc). I'm very into the idea of repurposing, but I do have a major weakness for yarn shops (and hip sewing shops, and paper shops...). My creativity has been pretty limited to the kitchen lately, but I think it's time to start some serious crafting up again!

Wilma
06-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNl8MMAr0lM) is a way to combine your creativity in the kitchen with knitting.

I may have confused you - the homeschool group is the local one my friends formed and we all just happen to knit. It has nothing to do with Ravelry.

You can use your dog's hair to knit (http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Dog-Hair-Better-Sweater/dp/0312152906/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276631920&sr=1-1). Then you could combine housekeeping with knitting.

Are you knitters Continental of English Knitters? I do the Continental. Saves my writs. Shoe, maybe you'd do better that way if you haven't tried it. The lefties I know use the Continental method.

Snoopy
06-15-2010, 06:31 PM
I recently tried knitting at the suggestion of an old high school classmate who felt it might help my insomnia...I started to try to knit a scarf. There were 29 stitches cast on (is that the right term?) the first row, but after about twenty rows I seem to be up to 56 stitches, and there is a huge hole in the middle of it...I don't think I'm cut out to be a knitter (nor did it cure my insomnia-the frustration just made me more awake). LOL. That almost describes my pathetic attempt at knitting about 9 years ago. When I was a teen I knitted myself a pair of black leg warmers, and thinking about it now I'm so embarrassed because those things were a-w-f-u-l (very bulky and full of holes, like you describe!) And I went out wearing them in public. Now do you see why I had to move oversea? lol.

Snoopy
06-15-2010, 06:37 PM
You can use your dog's hair to knit (http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Dog-Hair-Better-Sweater/dp/0312152906/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276631920&sr=1-1). Then you could combine housekeeping with knitting. On that note, if anyone wants to knit cat hair, I can hook you up. I swept today. Ugh.

hockeymom
06-15-2010, 08:24 PM
LOL Ann! That video was hilarious! As ridiculous as it was, at least now I might have figured out the purl stitch! :)

I think I'll skip the dog hair (and cat hair too, sorry Nathalie) and stick with repurposed yarn!

I knit whichever way it is that is opposite the way my German mother learned. So, English I think.

Bellanina
06-15-2010, 10:37 PM
I've tried knitting and crocheting. WOW, it's a tough art to learn! I sew a lot and have started quilts for all of us. I really do need to finish the quilts I started for the twins over 3yrs ago :( They're almost complete, just a bit of quilting left and then the borders. As for knitting and crocheting, I sure wish I'd spent more time with my grandmother when I was young. She could crochet with cotton thread, and her pieces turned out beautifully! She knit a bit too, but crocheting was her specialty. I bought myself a "Learn to Crochet" book awhile back, and I'm the same way, I get gungho on a new craft technique and then my desire fizzles. (maybe I have commitment issues? LOL)

BPier12
06-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Are you knitters Continental of English Knitters? I do the Continental. Saves my writs. Shoe, maybe you'd do better that way if you haven't tried it. The lefties I know use the Continental method.

Continental! It was the way I was taught and I don't think I could do it any other way.

Firefly_Mom
06-15-2010, 10:57 PM
I started knitting last winter. I'd tried learning through knitting books in the past, but realized I needed somebody with infinite patience who was willing to work with me :) I ended up taking a class through the community college. I knit continental, and funnily enough, I was the ONLY one in the class that she taught continental to! All of the other women said it was too hard. LOL My next project is going to be learning to knit in the round with circular and dp needles. That way I don't have to mess with seams anymore!

Snoopy
06-15-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm the same way, I get gungho on a new craft technique and then my desire fizzles. (maybe I have commitment issues? LOL) I have learned that the ONLY thing I like about crafts is the "buying the stuff" phase. I have tons of craft supplies but I never actually do any projects or crafts. My excitement dies down as soon as we get home and I look at what I bought and realize that now I have to DO something with it. I have a drawerful of cropping materials, for example. I do love looking at all the different wools. Whoever posted earlier about the wool store with spools organized by colors made me want to go visit such a store so badly!

Wilma
06-16-2010, 04:56 PM
I hate to sew, Carla! More power to you. I put off sewing on a button for months. I'd rather staple or tape my clothes than sew, seriously. I have a huge supple of safety pins to help put off sewing.

My next project is to learn the magic loop method for socks or in the round knitting. Double pointed needles are an evil thing in my book.

BTW, my dish towel is half done.

Bellanina
06-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Wow, there are different knitting styles? I knit however my Gramma taught me, she was born in Canada and had German parents. Does that help? LOL

Ann, I love to sew & quilt but I rarely find the time to commit to it anymore. I will admit tho, my mending pile is quite big, I hate mending. My Gramma taught me to sew too, when I was a young teenager, then I took more sewing instruction through Home Ec in high school and 4H classes. I'd love to take quilting classes someday and buy a sewing machine with more quilting abilities.

BPier12
06-16-2010, 11:04 PM
I hate to sew, Carla! More power to you. I put off sewing on a button for months. I'd rather staple or tape my clothes than sew, seriously. I have a huge supple of safety pins to help put off sewing.

My next project is to learn the magic loop method for socks or in the round knitting. Double pointed needles are an evil thing in my book.

BTW, my dish towel is half done.

I love knitting socks and have gotten used to DPN's over time, but I'm kind of intrigued by magic loop. A woman in my knitting group showed me the basics of it and it is a lot simpler than I thought.

BPier12
06-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Here is a great set of videos showing knitting techniques, from the most basic to more complicated, in the Continental style. There is no narration, but she does the techniques several times so you can see very well what she is doing.

http://vimeo.com/dropsdesign/videos/sort:newest

EDITED: I had set this up so that the videos would show oldest to newest, but when I tried that, the "embarrassment" smiley inserted itself into the code and I can't figure out how to turn smileys off, so I rewrote it to have the newest, more complicated videos come first. After you link to the page, just change it at the top of the page so that oldest videos show first if you are looking for basic techniques.

jessicalb
06-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Carla, I love to quilt, too! I also love cross-stitch, and recently picked up making rag rugs, and all kinds of various crafts and art stuff. Since starting homeschooling, I almost never get to do any of it. It's really hard to find the time!

hockeymom
06-17-2010, 12:55 PM
My DS would love the idea of making rag rugs. He loves all kinds of fiber arts--knitting, sewing, embroidery (great for fine motor skills!)...his latest is learning to rug hook. Rug hooking is a traditional art form where we live, so we were able to find a group to get inspiration from. He's very excited about an upcoming fiber art exhibit (not his) and I hope he can make some good connections and get some positive feedback. I love that hsing he has the freedom to take up hobbies like this and not get ridiculed!

I would love to take up quilting, but like Jessica said, finding the time is so hard now for my own hobbies. My knitting has been relegated to DS's half hour guitar lesson time slot.

Sarbare0704
06-17-2010, 01:25 PM
I have learned that the ONLY thing I like about crafts is the "buying the stuff" phase. I have tons of craft supplies but I never actually do any projects or crafts. My excitement dies down as soon as we get home and I look at what I bought and realize that now I have to DO something with it. I have a drawerful of cropping materials, for example. I do love looking at all the different wools. Whoever posted earlier about the wool store with spools organized by colors made me want to go visit such a store so badly!

yup! thats me! I could spend hours at hobby lobby!

Wilma
06-17-2010, 01:46 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLFl36tDY) is the video that taught me to knit continental.

I tried dpn's and magic loop one day, the first time for both. I had way too many ladders with the dpn's. I had none with magic loop.

I love Hobby Lobby. Especially when they have their 40% off coupons.