PDA

View Full Version : When do your kids get dressed on school days?

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
06-27-2012, 02:38 PM
We've slacked off on our morning routine lately--I have other, more pressing battles to fight at the moment without worrying about worrying about clothes and beds. We usually hang out and do school work in our pajamas all morning. My kids are content with that to the point that I have to shout up the stairs that I'm leaving the house in five minutes for the library/store/playground to get them to get some clothes on.

I have a horror of having to answer the doorbell in my pajamas, but fortunately (or sadly?) no one ever rings my doorbell except for Comcast salespeople and the UPS guy. Otherwise, whatever. Less laundry, right?

But I was wondering about other homeschoolers? Do your kids hang out in jammies all day? Are they go-getters who have their clothes laid out the night before? Do you incorporate getting dressed into your morning routine?

Vote and comment, please!

farrarwilliams
06-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Our school rule is you must be wearing pants. However, I consider pajama pants a type of pants.

Both my kids sleep in their clothes mostly. Or, rather, they sleep in the next day's T-shirt and either regular pants (BalletBoy seems to think there's nothing more comfy than sleeping in your jeans?!?) or undies or pj pants (Mushroom). Mushroom would rather leave the pj pants on all day as well. Occasionally I make him change, depending on the circumstances of our day. Usually I don't bother.

I myself have no getting dressed routine. Some days I do one thing, other days something else.

ejsmom
06-27-2012, 05:43 PM
We have places to be throughout the week and a very close knit street of moms. I never know who will stop by for a cup of coffee. So we do get dressed before we start any type of schoolwork. Sometimes before breakfast, sometimes after. But fairly early in the day. Last year I got a phone call early in the morning that my dh had been in a car accident on the highway during his major commute. I was so grateful we were dressed and could just run out of the house!

Staysee34
06-27-2012, 06:41 PM
My girls get dressed soon after waking up. It's a routine we set while in PS and it's one I kept when we started homeschooling. The only thing that changed was what they wear. I don't care what they wear so long as they change their clothes. It's part of the "starting the school day" routine and it's something my girls need. Without the get dressed, make your bed, eat breakfast, brush your teeth routine, I might as well hang it up for the day and let them veg out in front of the TV. As for me, I'm usually showered and dressed before the kids wake up in the morning. It's part of the 2 hours of alone time I give myself every morning by waking up at 6. It's an evil hour to be awake in my book. I'm not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination. It's a shame what I have to do for a little solitude! Showering and getting dressed helps clear my foggy brain so I can put my solitude to good use.

dottieanna29
06-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Nobody ever comes to my door so I don't worry about it. Pj's and regular clothes are pretty much interchangeable around here, especially since ds won't wear anything my sweat pants when it comes to "real" clothes. Younger dd is mostly likely going to strip down to her underwear anyway so I don't bother getting her to get dressed until right before we are going out the door since I would just have to do it again anyway and it results in too much laundry.

If I'm home I'm most likely wearing pj pants, sweats or leggings with a t-shirt if its warm or a hoodie if it's cold, which could be in the middle of summer due to the central air.

I'm all about the comfy.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
06-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Last year I got a phone call early in the morning that my dh had been in a car accident on the highway during his major commute. I was so grateful we were dressed and could just run out of the house!

Emergencies would be another good reason to get dressed first thing in the morning. One frigid January morning (single digit temps) a couple of years ago, our boiler started smoking and we had to evacuate. My son didn't even have socks on. We shivered in the car until the fire department aired out the basement and gave the all clear. It was great having the firemen, my neighbors, and the parents dropping off their kids at the nursery school across the street see me in my fuzzy, red bathrobe.

As for me, I'm usually showered and dressed before the kids wake up in the morning. It's part of the 2 hours of alone time I give myself every morning by waking up at 6. It's an evil hour to be awake in my book. I'm not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination. It's a shame what I have to do for a little solitude!

I consider doing this, too. Unfortunately, my kids could wake up any time between 5:30am and 7:00am, so it would be hit or miss. It is nice to enjoy a cup of tea and the birds singing when I am up before them.

I'm all about the comfy.

Me too! Flannel pajamas and fuzzy slippers all winter!

hockeymom
06-27-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm up around 5:30 and take my shower before DH leaves for work. During the non-summer part of the year, that means I'm caffeinated and respectable by 6:30 or 7. DS gets dressed after breakfast, always before we start our school day. But, in the summer it's a bit different; I usually slack until DH leaves at 7 and DS has been staying in his jammies later into the day, especially if he spends the morning reading. We never ever have visitors, but I'm sort of paranoid we just *might*, and I really don't want him hanging out in his underwear if that's the case! lol

lynne
06-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Sometime we start doing school with the boys still in their pj's but for some reason I have to be dressed before we start doing school work. I usually tell them to get dressed before starting, but some days I don't bother. It depends on what we have planned that day too.

AmyButler
06-27-2012, 09:08 PM
I would like her to get dressed in the morning before we start school, but it really isn't a fight worth having. One of the freedoms she really likes is being able to wear whatever she wants for school, be it pjs or a sunday dress. Then there are the days that she and the American Girl Doll that decides to come to school that day dress in matching clothes.

koalaborg
06-27-2012, 09:25 PM
My 5 year old dd usually stays in underwear all day. I can't convince her to wear clothes unless we are going somewhere or she needs to go outside (not happening a lot here in summer).

opheliag
06-27-2012, 11:34 PM
My youngest son lives in his pjs. He loves them, and I don't make him change unless we are leaving the house. My daughter will sometimes get dressed and other times it's either costumes or pjs. My oldest dresses in shorts year round. He might put on a shirt if it's cold. In the summer, pjs get taken off for swimsuits and then various methods of dress are seen after that.

Stella M
06-28-2012, 12:14 AM
I can't answer that, because every child is different.

One is dressed by 7 every day.
One is dressed by 8 Mon-Sat.
One is dressed by 10.

JinxieFox
06-28-2012, 04:38 AM
He gets around to it sometime during the day, and I don't worry about it.

If he wants to go out and play with friends, or go to the Youth Center, he's got to be dressed by 3 p.m.

Some mornings he gets up and dressed immediately (like today). Some days, he bums around in underwear and a t-shirt (like yesterday - it's been HOT here - 75 degrees! Yes, that's hot for England. LOL).

I guess I set the example. When I get up in the morning, I put on pajamas or bumming-around-the-house clothes (right now it's a tank top and shorts). If I don't have to run errands, I might stay dressed like this all day... I figure pregnant ladies get cut some slack. ;)

Hampchick
06-28-2012, 05:46 PM
I haven't bought pjs for the kids in a couple of years (bad mama). Both boys sleep in their undies or the previous days clothes, so they do get dressed early. One boy prefers to dress when he wakes up and the other does it after breakfast. I tend to stay in my pjs (just a t-shirt and comfy pants) until just before lunch when I can manage to get in a shower.

bcnlvr
06-28-2012, 06:19 PM
After bfast. Eat-brush-dress-tidy up. It keeps the order. Nobody here wears "pajamas", just tshirt and underwear, so they just have to throw on some trow.

zcat
06-29-2012, 06:40 AM
Dd usually just sleeps in her regular clothes.
Often she will wear the same clothes for a couple of days before changing them.
I do make dd put on fresh clothes if we are going somewhere but in an emergency it would not be a concern.
If dd wears actual pajamas I don't care if she wants to wear them all day when we are home.

Pefa
06-29-2012, 07:42 AM
most of us usually sleep naked so getting dressed when you wake up just makes sense. Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't think about making kids wear clean clothes everyday.

Marmalade
06-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Dd usually just sleeps in her regular clothes.
Often she will wear the same clothes for a couple of days before changing them.
I do make dd put on fresh clothes if we are going somewhere but in an emergency it would not be a concern.
If dd wears actual pajamas I don't care if she wants to wear them all day when we are home.

This...times five. I like PJs myself but the kids don't always change in to theirs.

ginnyjf
06-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Yep, what zcat said. Zack likes to sleep in his clothes and if they're not gross, I don't have a problem with it. His routine in the morning is wake up, have breakfast and then shower and he get dressed after his shower. Our wake-up times vary depending on what we have scheduled (usually nothing). I get dressed, hair, makeup, the whole caboodle every day, just in case.

naturegirl7
06-30-2012, 01:02 AM
Daily conversation in my house
Me: "Please go get dressed"
Him: "Why? Are we going somewhere?"

We often do our sitdown school time over breakfast and then shower, dress, etc. So by lunch, most days, he is in something other than PJS. I also started dressing him in a clean shirt and clean boxer briefs for jammies (or jammy pants if it is cold), then in the AM he is already basically dressed. Just gotta slip on pants or shorts if we need to run out. It cut out the getting dressed drama.

Rainefox
06-30-2012, 10:48 AM
I have nurtured the routine of getting dressed either before or immediately after breakfast because I feel it sets the the tone for starting our day. I guess in my mind it makes it 'official' that we are ready to get down to business. Our rules are wake up, get showered, teeth brushed, and dressed, then breakfast. I can not stand stinky kids or stinky breath around me either so this prevents that. After breakfast we clean up and start school by sitting down and going over the newspaper together.

We don't have neighbors who might drop by, but we do have family members who sometimes do despite my discouraging that. They know we homeschool and that their visit is disruptive but they drop by and try to manipulate me into babysitting for them fairly often. I've kept the door locked and had them standing outside peering in the window.Consequently we do sometimes leave the house pretty early on to avoid that if I get the sense I might have to deal with it.

ourjourney
06-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Some of us get dressed as soon as we get up and others wait until after breakfast. Everyone is dressed by the time my oldest and I dive in to the day's work which is usually around 9am. My oldest would love if he could spend the day in his pjs but I like to keep open the possibility of us leaving the house on a moment's notice. I also find that we are more likely to be lazy, unmotivated and tired if we hang out in our pajamas on school days.

crunchynerd
07-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Whereas I am all for making conscious choices rather than living by social defaults, for one, we don't have "school days" as certain particular days of the week. But in general, except on Sunday mornings when my DH isn't going to work and we all want to loaf around in robes and such, I try to get my kids to have a morning 'readiness for the day' ritual, whereby after breakfast, they wash up, get dressed in clothes they could leave the house in, and brush teeth. Not getting dressed, for us, means that subconsciously, we all feel like we're not ready to do housework, go out and play, or anything but slouch around an increasingly dirty and disheveled house.
My mother is in her late 60's and in poor health, and does herself no favors by living in a nightgown at her own place, all day, and only getting dressed when she specifically has to leave the house for a reason. She's never ready for anything, and then she feels it takes too long to get ready for anything, so she doesn't do anything.

For us at least, by not getting ready for the day in the morning, we just don't do much, because then by the time we want to, the thought of having to shower/comb/dress first, acts as a deterrent. So we generally find it helpful, to go ahead and start the day, ready for anything. Except on designated pancake lazy mornings.

crunchynerd
07-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Yeah. I should have just said ditto to what you said ,because you said it better. Us too!

dbmamaz
07-10-2012, 04:50 PM
I make my teen shower/get dressed soon after I come down in the morning - imo, its a very important habit to establish esp for a special needs teen. He needs to be clean if he wants to have friends and/or girlfriends. I make Raven get dressed by the time Orion comes back from the shower. But our school day includes walking the dog, and often various out-of-the-house activities, and I dont want to interrupt the day to get the kids dressed.

Oh, and Orion eats breakfast before showering but Raven doesnt like to eat when he first gets up, so he eats after dressing.

bailbrae
07-11-2012, 11:28 AM
We don't, unless we have to. Lol. That doesn't mean we don't practice good daily hygiene. But on the days we don't have anywhere to be, when we get out of our showers, we put on clean pajamas. :D