PDA

View Full Version : Death to Barbie!!

Busygoddess
06-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Jay is studying Ancient Egypt right now. He LOVES Ancient civilizations. He's a rather kinesthetic learner, so I planned lots of activities for our study. Today, we started making mummies. We use dollar store Barbie-type dolls (because they're cheap & hollow). It's a 2-3 day process. The first day, we pull out thier brains & organs (using a tiny crochet hook). Then, we cover them in salt. We don't wait the full 40 days, just overnight. Day two, we'll wash off the salt, rub oil on them, and start wrapping.
Here's some pics of today's work:

brain removal

organ removal

covering with salt

Tomorrow or Wednesday, we'll have finished mummies! I know that some prefer to do the mummified chicken, but I like this way better. It's less time, cheaper, and I don't have to find room for a mummified chicken when we're done. We did this same project when Dea was in 1st & she loved it. We still have the mummies we made then. Now, we'll have four of them.

Sarbare0704
06-14-2010, 09:47 PM
That is great! I will have to keep this in mind when we start learning about Egypt here!

Snoopy
06-14-2010, 10:14 PM
I know that some prefer to do the mummified chicken, but I like this way better. It's less time, cheaper, and I don't have to find room for a mummified chicken when we're done.

Yes, about the darn mummified chicken... I have to say that's what sold me on SOTW because I thought that would be such an awesome activity to do. But when I got the activity book and read all the steps and how long we were supposed to take to make the darn thing (kind of stupid, I know, for me to think it'd take 1 or 2 days only!!) and then wondering what we'd actually DO with a mummified chicken here in HOT and HUMID Florida, I decided to forego the experience. Thanks for the photos, it was a good idea to use the cheap Barbies.

Shoe
06-14-2010, 10:18 PM
That's great! I think I may have to introduce something like this (or the mummified chicken) to my kids-looks like a lot of fun.

jessicalb
06-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Alex has done action-figure mummies and the mummified chicken. He probably preferred the action-figures. I totally prefer the chicken. I think it's the coolest freakin' thing. We made it in October. I have it sitting on my desk where I work and it smells like cinnamon. It was a ridiculously messy fun amazing project. :D

paganmomblog
06-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Oh I love this idea. Question, what do you use for the organs?

Busygoddess
06-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Oh I love this idea. Question, what do you use for the organs?

Our imaginations. We discuss which organs would go in Canopic Jars, why they left the heart in the body, and why they threw out the brain. We just pretended that we were actually pulling stuff out (though some hair usually comes out when removing the brain). We tried to make the amulets that they place between the layers when wrapping, but the kids can't make them small enough.

Busygoddess
06-15-2010, 02:42 PM
We finished the mummies today, so I thought I'd post some more pics.

jessicalb
06-15-2010, 02:52 PM
They look awesome! :)

Sarbare0704
06-15-2010, 03:23 PM
I love them! Did you use glue with the gauze?

Wilma
06-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Those look great! My girls really dislike Barbie and they can't think of a better use for them! I wish we had know about this last year when studying Egypt.

Melyssa
06-15-2010, 07:38 PM
LOL Love it!!! We did Polly Pockets. LOL

pandahoneybee
06-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Yes, about the darn mummified chicken... I have to say that's what sold me on SOTW because I thought that would be such an awesome activity to do. But when I got the activity book and read all the steps and how long we were supposed to take to make the darn thing (kind of stupid, I know, for me to think it'd take 1 or 2 days only!!) and then wondering what we'd actually DO with a mummified chicken here in HOT and HUMID Florida, I decided to forego the experience. Thanks for the photos, it was a good idea to use the cheap Barbies.

I have friends who did the mummified chicken and they said it smell funky! (and you waste a yummy chicken) BUT her DH stole it to take it to work to show everyone!

jessicalb
06-16-2010, 10:33 AM
If you do the mummified chicken right, it smells only like whatever spices you use. Ours is very cinnamony. :)

pandahoneybee
06-16-2010, 10:40 AM
might try it then don't know what they used but the look on the mom's face is that it wasn't good!

Busygoddess
06-16-2010, 12:35 PM
I love them! Did you use glue with the gauze?

Yep, Elmer's glue thinned with a little water (to make it easier to wipe on with a paintbrush).

Busygoddess
06-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Dea will be studying Ancient Civs again next year. If she wants to do the mummified chicken, I might let her. However, at 6 years old, she didn't have the attention span for a project that takes that long. Jay doesn't either. This works well for us as a 1st grade project. A mummified chicken isn't really the best project for a young child with ADHD, they'll forget to finish it (at least my kids would).

dottieanna29
06-16-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm definitely not doing the mummified chicken. We're doing SOTW starting next year (January) so they will probably be around 6 and 4 at that point. I don't think they'll have the attention span to stay interested that long. Besides, I had a traumatic experience with a raw chicken as a teenager - DON'T READ ON IF YOU'RE EASILY GROSSED OUT, LOL - my mother was a single working parent so used to have my brother or I start dinner. I had to clean and prepare a whole chicken one time. In reaching in to get out the gizzards, I also pulled out a very long worm. I'm borderline phobic about worms so this was too much for me. I don't ever cook anyway but even if I did, no whole chickens around here.

I think we'll stick with Barbies. There's also a couple of Ancient Egypt kits - one of them Lift the Lid on Mummies comes with a mummy with removable organs, canopic jars, etc. Looks pretty neat. There's a good description on a blog - www. satorismiles.com.

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 01:14 PM
- one of them Lift the Lid on Mummies comes with a mummy with removable organs, canopic jars, etc.
ooh, thanks for saying this! It reminded me that I got a cheap ($1) see-through model of the human body at the Dollar Tree a couple of years ago so I could use that for ours. It's a clear plastic body that opens up and then you have some colorful organs in there that you can take out. This would be perfect! We did Ancient Egypt last year, but I could have Noah do the mummy project this summer. Maybe we can even make our own canopic jars out of Sculpey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sculpey). Ok, he just asked me what was up with the see-through body (since I just had to go get it right away!) so I explained the mummy project and he's really excited about it, so we'll do that soon.

reversemigration
06-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Somehow the mummified chicken reminds me of the World's Oldest Smithfield Ham (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/1348), which was a county over when we lived in Virginia. Pretty much the same principles involved. I suspect in the future, archaeologists will come to the conclusion that pigs were highly venerated in Virginia.

firefly
06-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Careful! Those extracted Barbie brains could clog the landfills!

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Somehow the mummified chicken reminds me of the World's Oldest Smithfield Ham OK is it totally gross that I thought it would be yummy ?!?(until I saw a picture of it!) My grandma used to buy a whole "jambon sec" which is the same as country ham, I believe (raw ham cured in salt and also smoked instead of being cooked) and it was sooooo delicious. It's one of the French foods I miss the most.

reversemigration
06-16-2010, 11:43 PM
OK is it totally gross that I thought it would be yummy ?!?(until I saw a picture of it!) My grandma used to buy a whole "jambon sec" which is the same as country ham, I believe (raw ham cured in salt and also smoked instead of being cooked) and it was sooooo delicious. It's one of the French foods I miss the most.

Real Smithfield ham is good stuff (says he who's trying to pare down on meat.) It's a shade less salty than country ham, and tastes "smokier", maybe? Shaved really thin and put in a biscuit/roll it's awfully delicious.

Having seen the real thing, the picture mostly does it justice - it truly looks like part of an unwrapped mummy!

reversemigration
06-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Careful! Those extracted Barbie brains could clog the landfills!

What we need are little Barbie zombies? "Braaaaains...and a new pink convertible!"

Busygoddess
06-17-2010, 12:18 AM
What we need are little Barbie zombies? "Braaaaains...and a new pink convertible!"

Zombie Barbie! Now that's a Barbie I'd consider buying!

Shoe
06-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Zombie Barbie! Now that's a Barbie I'd consider buying!

Here's some pictures of Barbie of the Undead (http://www.paranaiv.no/content/behind-undead).

BPier12
06-17-2010, 08:44 AM
Here's some pictures of Barbie of the Undead (http://www.paranaiv.no/content/behind-undead).

I'm just curious, Shoe, how you found this. Google search on "Zombie Barbies"??? LOL

Shoe
06-17-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm just curious, Shoe, how you found this. Google search on "Zombie Barbies"??? LOL

I've got all sorts of strange things bookmarked on my computer..lol...I think I originally found this one when looking at The Birds Barbie doll (http://www.amazon.com/Alfred-Hitchcock-Birds-Barbie-Doll/dp/B00142V9X0), and I think that yes, I did Google Zombie Barbie (or maybe it was horror movie Barbie, not sure...)

Another interesting link I bookmarked, from the Halloween perspective, is Corpses for Sale (http://www.distefano.com/)...

firefly
06-17-2010, 02:14 PM
A friend sent me a now expired link to artist Margaux Lange who uses Barbie / Ken parts for fantastic jewelry! But I found her in a Google Images search:

http://www.google.com/images?q=margaux+lange&um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch:1&ei=AWIaTNq6MY7kNcK4zKQF&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=20

And a Google Images search link for "Barbie Jewelry":

http://www.google.com/images?q=Barbie+jewelry&um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch:1&ei=4V4aTP3nCJz4ML7KpLIF&sa=N&start=40&ndsp=20

The prices for these are unreal! If I thought there was actually a market for it I would forget about hs & just put my little dd's to work hacking up Barbies all day!

Sarbare0704
06-17-2010, 02:19 PM
A friend sent me a now expired link to artist Margaux Lange who uses Barbie / Ken parts for fantastic jewelry! But I found her in a Google Images search:

http://www.google.com/images?q=margaux+lange&um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch:1&ei=AWIaTNq6MY7kNcK4zKQF&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=20

And a Google Images search link for "Barbie Jewelry":

http://www.google.com/images?q=Barbie+jewelry&um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch:1&ei=4V4aTP3nCJz4ML7KpLIF&sa=N&start=40&ndsp=20

The prices for these are unreal! If I thought there was actually a market for it I would forget about hs & just put my little dd's to work hacking up Barbies all day!

Those are soo cool! I agree! Lets make a barbie hacking factory LOL