PDA

View Full Version : Minecraft - Setting Up a Group/Server

Stella M
06-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Ok, any advice awesome!

Ds would like to set up ( or join ) a group server with 'nice kids' to play and work on Minecraft.

How on earth do i go about this ???

TIA!

AmyButler
06-26-2012, 09:29 PM
I have no idea, but if you find out how, I am sure my daughter would be interested in joining!

farrarwilliams
06-26-2012, 09:32 PM
I was just discussing this with someone today, but, um, we didn't know.

Stella M
06-26-2012, 09:54 PM
LOL, a lot of help y'all are! :)

OK, subscribe to the thread, someone here will know. I hope.

I watched the 'Set Up a Server For Dummies' and I was too dumb even for that!

Fwiw, he wants to set up a private server for Creative ???!!!

Stella M
06-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Oh, OK. I just found intercraften.org, which is a family friendly server. Any one have any experience of their kids playing on this server ?

bcnlvr
06-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Good luck. :)

We just got rid of that game. It totally consumed ds. Even without "servers". He would play, watch videos about playing, talk about playing, not eat when playing. I became alarmed. No more Minecraft and he only gets 1 hour per day of screen time (movies/nintendo). Period.

I admire those whose kids can play Minecraft and no big deal. I wish mine could. Nope, I am not to be lucky. That game consumed him.

Stella M
06-26-2012, 10:49 PM
It consumes ds, but at least it is creative. And I have unschooler leanings :)

bcnlvr
06-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Hey, yeah! As long as an addiction is creative. :cool:

Stella M
06-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Hey, it was better than the Mario immersion that preceded it!

dbmamaz
06-26-2012, 11:58 PM
I'll try to get info from Orion in the morning . .he rented a server, like maybe $15/year . . . it was great for him to have to learn to deal with the add-ons and write a white list and all.

he did recommend looking in the user forums for family-friendly servers, you might check there also for where to rent servers from. When you rent it most of the work is done, but if you want any add-ons, you have to manage that

AmyButler
06-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Mary plays in creative mode a lot of the time because she enjoys the designing and building a lot more than the mining. She would be very interested in playing with other kids in creative mode.

I am so happy to hear that she isn't the only one with this addiction. It drives me nuts lately as everything seems to be related to Minecraft!

Pefa
06-27-2012, 07:55 AM
BOO's between servers right now, when he finds one I'll let you know. He says he'll look for a server they could play on so check back here.

We've set up in-house servers so the boys can play with each other or with friends who come over which seems silly to me but is fun for them.

I love watching the communities unfold on various servers. BOO plays more than B1 the issues they grapple with - fairness, setting boundaries, consequences, working together are cool. Plus the banter that goes on while they play. I'm ok with the hours. I don't have anything more compelling for him to do.

Do you guys skype? Not required by any means, BOO just thinks it would be fun.

dottieanna29
06-27-2012, 08:52 AM
My son is very into Minecraft. He loves playing, watching the videos, etc, usually in creative mode. We found a server someone had through the WTM forums but it's not very active. Most of the time my son goes on he's the only one there. I don't know if it will get busier now that schools out, since even homeschoolers may break for summer.

JinxieFox
06-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Oh, OK. I just found intercraften.org, which is a family friendly server. Any one have any experience of their kids playing on this server ?

I had to ask my son and that's the one he's on. (I didn't set it up for him - his stepdad did.)

From what I've seen, it is very much kid-friendly. Sometimes I guess there's some swearing and griefing, but you can complain to the admins/mods. There's plenty of teamwork for children who enjoy that. My son likes to team up with people, or set up little challenges for them and give out prizes.

Stella M
06-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks all!

Pefa, I'll check back...

Amy, ds is like that too - very much into the building and designing aspect. And obsessed :)

ginnyjf
06-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Zack is on a server right now:

http://se2.gratisserver.nu:25571/

His username is ImaCreeperSSSSSS

He says it's available until 8 p.m. tonight CST

Lucypith
06-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Hi all!
My son, 8, also completely loves Minecraft for the building and designing aspects. He's been bugging me to figure out how he can play with others... We'd love to join a server as well. (My son would gladly spend all day every day playing and watching Minecraft videos if I didn't limit his computer time...)

-Erika (trying to be less of a lurker and more of an active participant here :) )

Stella M
06-28-2012, 12:15 AM
Hey Erika, when we work it out I'll post back here and let you know.

Thanks Ginny! :)

juliehoy
06-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Keep us posted.....my son (10) is obsessed, too...:)

Pefa
06-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Thanks Ginny, I'll let BOO know about that server. BOO will be kicking around lots next week (daddyo off w/B1 and I have to work) so I'm sure he'll find a server then.

Valerie
06-29-2012, 07:58 AM
My son is also really into Minecraft! He has been playing single-player, but would LOVE to be on a server with other kids. I've looked some, but have not spent much time on it. I'll keep an eye on this thread, too!

ginnyjf
06-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Hi everyone! Zack decided to use some allowance to rent a server for a month for all the Minecraft players to try out. It's up and running this morning and here are his instructions (I don't play, so hopefully the Minecrafters will understand this!)

Edited to remove server information

AmyButler
06-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Mary is motivated to qickly finish her work for the day so I will give her the info ;) Thanks! After yesterday I need the motivation for her!

Valerie
06-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Great! Thanks to you both for setting this up. We'll see if we can connect soon.

AmyButler
06-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Mary is in and very excited!

ginnyjf
06-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Great! Zack is taking a break and checking the server right now.

AmyButler
06-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Mary has had a blast playing with the other kids today...although I did hear "Mom! They're all BOYS!" in a typical 10 yr old girls voice. Didn't stop her though :P She has figured out she needs to learn to type faster too.

cassiemc
06-29-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm going to give the server info to my 12 year old ds. He'll probably try it out later tonight :)

cassiemc
06-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Oh yeah, my 10 year old dd likes to play too. Maybe Amy's daughter will get a girl to play with :)

Stella M
06-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Awesome! Way to go Zac.

Thanks Ginny :)

Stella M
06-29-2012, 07:37 PM
You just made a boy very happy!
Amy, I think he is on with Mary - tell her he is slow to type, because he keeps running in to check how to spell things!

AmyButler
06-29-2012, 07:50 PM
She says that is ok, she types slowly too!

cassiemc
06-29-2012, 07:58 PM
My kids are downstairs now on the server. They are super excited :) Maybe if everyone likes playing we can take turns paying for the server. I don't know how it all works but Grady has been wanting a server so he is willing to help pay.

Valerie
06-29-2012, 08:45 PM
My son is slow at typing, too, but he is having a lot of fun. I think he was building a house with Mary earlier. Thanks again for setting this up! We'd be happy to pitch in on the cost, too.

AmyButler
06-29-2012, 08:58 PM
I am willing to pitch in on cost also--this is making Mary very happy, and that has been a hard thing to do since we moved to MA. I haven't heard "I want to go HOME!" refering to Virginia all day!

Stella M
06-29-2012, 09:09 PM
It's so nice thinking of these happy little kids playing together :)

Yes, I probably would be happy taking turns re cost as well.

I'll PM Ginny :)

Is there any etiquette to do with playing multiplayer that ds should know about ?

ginnyjf
06-29-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm glad everyone is having a good time on the server!! This first month is taken care of and then I think we can set up a group payment system so people can contribute to the cost of renting the server.

Quick note: Zack says he is sorry for resetting the server briefly, but there was a problem with a user spamming and then griefing (destroying other users' creations). Ground rules for the server are: No spamming, no griefing and no bad language. We do have the option of kicking and/or banning users so please let us know if there are any problems.

Pefa
06-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Excellent job THANK YOU Ginny and Zack! We'll pitch in too.

cassiemc
06-29-2012, 09:52 PM
They are having a blast and it's nice knowing that they are playing with other kids, not just anyone :)

Stella M
06-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Definitely.

So, what is everyone going to do with all this free time now we've set the kids loose on Minecraft ?!

I've been cleaning :( Going to have to come up with something better than that!

GINNY!!! Clean out your pm box please when you get a chance :)

dottieanna29
06-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Georgie will be on there when he gets back computer privileges. Hopefully sometime tomorrow.

ETA: No problem helping to pay. I know what the grifting is but what is Spamming in minecraft?

Jackielyn
06-30-2012, 03:46 AM
We have downloaded the Minecraft app and Eden app for iPad and the boys are really enjoying it...maybe we can set up on our computer, is it too late to play along?

dottieanna29
06-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Georgie just logged on and he was so excited to see other people on there his first message was "oh my god oh my god". :rolleyes:

laundrycrisis
06-30-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm not sure if DS1 will want to try it or not but I will talk to him about it later. How much per month does the server space cost ?

And, DS2 has been watching this Youtube "episode" non-stop:
"Revenge" - A Minecraft Parody of Usher's DJ Got Us Fallin' in Love - Crafted Using Noteblockshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPJUBQd-PNM

Stella M
06-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Total unschooling vibe in our house - I have not seen ds this excited about writing and typing and spelling ever! I guess when you really want a bow and arrow, you just find a way to ask for it!

AmyButler
06-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Mary is the same way--she has been on since she got up this morning and has been laughing all day. Her Dad has just been sitting here watching her enjoy herself and decided to let her play all day and give up his own computer gaming time. Tomorrow she is going to have to take time off though, because she has chores to do that her Dad excused her from today, mean ole Mommy was going to make her get off and do her chores. :)

Stella M
06-30-2012, 07:48 PM
I am hearing the laughter as well :)

ScienceGeek
06-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Both my boys are hooked on mine craft and they bought their dad an account so they could all play together...being in separate rooms on their own computers. My husband put together a server on a spare computer we had - if you try putting it on the computer your ds is playing on it really gets bogged down and can only handle a few kids. Our server is only for those in the house. Tried letting friends on as well but it didn't work too well.
I agree it is ALL CONSUMING to my 12 yr old, he also watches videos on it but he's learned a lot as well. He wanted to build Stonehenge so he got on the web and learned a bit about it and downloaded a photo of what they think it was like originally then built it. Together the three of them (2 boys and dad) built Peace World with a giant buddha, Japanese temples, etc (we'v been to Japan, hence the Japanese theme). They also seem to go thru spurts of it when its all consuming and I have to use a pry bar (or cookies) to get them off the computers to do something else and then there will be a week or two when they don't play at all. The server bit is nice because they have to learn to co-operate to build things - 9 yr old is great on creative details and 12 year old is a whiz with redstone (electric circuits). I found videos on youtube that helped me set the first server we had. The most important thing is to have a whitelist - so only those people whose names are on that list can get on it. And limit the number of people.
Have fun.
opps, apparently I was on a very old thread. I really don't understand how to get around this forum yet and just randomly pick a thread to read... need to start checking dates!

AmyButler
06-30-2012, 09:40 PM
It isn't old :) A server just got up and running for the kids yesterday (I think), and I am thinking it is going to take dynomite to get my daughter off of it tonight!

ScienceGeek
06-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Duh... excuse my stupidity. I think I saw the Join Date and thought this conversation was from 2010... I think I should have had coffee today.

dottieanna29
07-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Thank you so much for setting this up! Georgie is in heaven. He actually gave me a hug this morning to thank me for getting him the server. :-) He's a little frustrated since his computer is a little buggy lately and keeps kicking him off but we'll be fixing that soon.

I know Minecraft may not be the most educational but it is helping Georgie with his reading, his spelling, his typing (he's pretty fast already), spatial relationships, social relationships, creativity....what's not to like?

AmyButler
07-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Considering they are selling licenses for schools along with recommended lesson plans and a port for the teachers to go in and tweak it to support the lesson by uturning some things on and others off, I think it must be more educational than I can figure out!

Valerie
07-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I agree! There is a sudden interest in typing and spelling here. My son is a reluctant (but learning) reader and writer, so I see this as a great way to practice.

WallFlower
07-01-2012, 10:10 PM
We just tried to stop by and say hi! But when we got there, we couldn't figure out how to type. :o I hope we didn't scare anyone off.

You might want to give the server # over PM instead of posting it on the public forum? Just in case random people come across it.

We will try again soon now that I looked up how to type on there!

ginnyjf
07-01-2012, 10:52 PM
We're very glad everyone is enjoying the server...it was well worth the expense, it sounds like! I've gone back to my original post and removed the server information. Since there are only 8 slots, it wouldn't be likely that a random person would stumble across this information and use it to join our server, but I took it down anyway. Better safe than sorry and all that.

If anyone is coming late to the thread and wants the server details, PM me.

I'll explain spamming: A server admin can change the mode for a player from Survival to Creative. Creative mode allows you to spawn items. A player asked for Creative and was given it and then spawned villagers and iron golems over and over and over and over and did not stop when asked. It was disruptive to other players on the server so Zack reset the server rather than kick or ban the user. As far as I know, there hasn't been a problem since.

We just have a few server rules:

Spam-spawning as described will result in a kick and a warning and then a ban for a second offense.

Griefing is deliberately destroying other players' creations and will also result in a kick, a warning and then a ban for a second offense.

Any use of bad language, bullying behavior, etc. is an immediate ban, but we've not had a problem with this yet. Way to go, everyone!

A lot of people have been asking about helping with the cost. We rent a server through ClanForge and it was $12 US for a month. We can pay extra for more slots on the servers and more memory to run add-ons. After the month is up, if anyone is still interested, I will set up Clan Pay. That will allow you to contribute in any amount and it will be applied to renewal/upgrade fees.

I'm so happy to hear your kids are enjoying the server so much! It's been consistently busy.

Pefa
07-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Again thank you Ginny and Zack!

BOO wants the unsure spellers to know that when he started he didn't even know how to spell "coal". He kept a running list of minecraft words for reference. He also pointed out that as long as you can get your message across misspellings aren't a problem in the minecraft world. So chat away, if you need help figuring it out he's happy to do that too.

dottieanna29
07-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Again thank you Ginny and Zack!

BOO wants the unsure spellers to know that when he started he didn't even know how to spell "coal". He kept a running list of minecraft words for reference. He also pointed out that as long as you can get your message across misspellings aren't a problem in the minecraft world. So chat away, if you need help figuring it out he's happy to do that too.

Georgie has a piece of paper over his desk that has whatever words he asks me to spell a lot for Minecraft (and Toon Town). please, gear, chickens, village, etc. It's helped him quite a bit and after a while typing them, he learns the words.

Although once a misspelling did get him banned from Toon Town for 2 days. It was almost a rude word.

cassiemc
07-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Someone's been griefing on the server. A lot of the kids' work is gone :(

ginnyjf
07-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Unfortunately, we're aware that someone was on the server griefing and destroyed almost the entire map. What a shame. I'm sorry that your kids lost their creations and that one irresponsible player might ruin it for everyone. We're trying to get to the bottom of who did it. If we can't, we're shutting the server down because we don't have time to police it 24/7.

AmyButler
07-03-2012, 01:18 PM
I know when Mary was playing earlier, there wasn't a problem other than one of the kids having a lot of lag. We are having the negotiations right now about what has to be done before she gets back on, so I am going to refrain from telling her there is a problem, otherwise we will have more tears than clean dishes.

ginnyjf
07-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Okay, everyone this is a MESS. One of the players said it was his brother who did the griefing, but then when Zack started taking screenshots of the damage, two players left immediately. So we have no idea who was behind it but the world has been destroyed. I am really upset by this.

SERVER IS SHUT DOWN. We'll let you know as soon as we open it up again.

AmyButler
07-03-2012, 01:40 PM
The kids are going to be upset too. Maybe we should let them figure out who did it. Peer pressure can be a good thing at times.

cassiemc
07-03-2012, 02:01 PM
My 7 year old says he left before the server was shut down, so maybe he's one of the 2 that left. He wasn't destroying anything, I promise. They are upset about the destruction. My oldest is at swim practice and doesn't know. It's a shame that it's all messed up, they were having so much fun.

ginnyjf
07-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Hopefully last post from me today. We shut down the server temporarily and added anti-griefing measures (No TNT, no lava, no water buckets, no damage from Creepers). We should have done it in the first place! Zack is testing it right now and then server will be back up shortly.

dottieanna29
07-03-2012, 03:22 PM
What a shame there was a problem. I've been watching Georgie closely (his computer is right in my living room) and reminding him of the rules frequently because he can get pissy sometimes (he also seems to be younger than the others) but he hasn't been on all day today. Judging by his attitude with school today and since, he may not be back on tomorrow either.

AmyButler
07-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Mary is on now, and all I am hearing is "I don't believe this. I don't believe this. I'm going to build a jail. I just don't believe this."

AmyButler
07-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Some information for all the Minecraft Moms out there--not sure exactly yet how to use this myself, but it is a wiki on using minecraft for education.

http://minecraftinschool.pbworks.com/w/page/37244189/FrontPage

dbmamaz
07-03-2012, 08:40 PM
btw, my son always had a white list on his server (or a black list if you prefer) and if you can figure out who is griefing, you can give them 'time out' (ban them by taking off white or putting on black list) for periods of time, and if they dont stop, just ban them permanently. Some kids need firmer consequences, and you dont want to let one impulse-control-impaired kid to ruin it for everyone.

crunchynerd
07-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Hey, yeah! As long as an addiction is creative. :cool:
Glad you said it! I totally agree...I have to limit myself on computer time too, or else vital areas of our life get neglected, to bad effect. Same with kids. Neglect real-life too much, and bad things happen. Additionally, for kids, their neural grooves are still being worn in, and engaging in addictions when young, makes addiction much harder to resist, thereafter. It sure worked for tobacco.

I am not anti-game, get involved in video games a bit too much when given opportunity, myself. Just anti-addiction. When is it an addiction instead of merely an interest? When it starts having harmful effects on your life, as in, not eating, not sleeping, not engaging in other needful, healthy, and meaningful activities.

That said, I do miss the days of getting totally engrossed in a game. Also miss getting totally engrossed in a book. Heck, miss getting totally into anything, for as long as I want! haha...

dottieanna29
07-04-2012, 08:10 AM
I've been thinking about the whole addiction thing since I read Outliers. How do you know the difference between something that is an obsession and something that is their passion. To reach that 10,000 hours for mastery takes an often lot of time and his book talks about Steve Jobs spending all night at computer labs (or was that Bill Gates?). So what's the line? I'm sure the line is different for children than it would be for adults but still. My oldest was spending 3 to 5 hours a night at dance by the time she was 6 years old. She just graduated and will be studying dance at college.

Anyway, I tend to muse about this kind of stuff at random moments. Makes me feel like I'm not entirely brain dead from teaching early elementary school.

Georgie always liked building even as a baby so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that something like Minecraft is a good fit. Is it better or worse if he's not just obsessed with Minecraft but also with Pokemon, Wii, Toon Town, Gameboy or anything else electronic? Pokemon at least has a non-electronic component and has him reading both a book and the cards themselves.

Spookygirl
07-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Wheww! Just read through all 7 pages of this ;)

My kids are addicted to Minecraft as well, but we don't have a computer that will run it so we have it on our Xbox..

Anyone else play on Xbox? The kids would love some friends :)

Pefa
07-05-2012, 10:49 PM
I've been thinking about the whole addiction thing since I read Outliers. How do you know the difference between something that is an obsession and something that is their passion.

I wonder about it too. Maybe you just know when it's an addiction?

JinxieFox
07-06-2012, 04:26 AM
Something that is an addiction interferes with one's personal life, often at the expense of work or relationships. They just can't get through the day without doing it, and they can find a gazillion different ways to justify their actions.

In a child, they would probably express it a little differently, but the overall effect would be the same - they wouldn't be able to function without the item, game, show, etc.

(I grew up with an alcoholic dad and my first husband was - and probably still is - a pr0n addict. So, yeah, I know all the joys of addiction in others.)

Obsession is a little milder, I think. It can permeate all areas of their life, like always talking about it and changing all play to relate to the game, but they can also drop it and move on to other things.

And then I think a pretty "normal" reaction (neither obsessed nor addicted) is the typical kicking up a fuss or saying "Awww, mommmmm! Let me just finish this!"

Denise Diskin Winchell
07-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Hey, I just wrote you for the server info.. My son is super excited to join. I have no problem contributing to the cost too

Denise

We're very glad everyone is enjoying the server...it was well worth the expense, it sounds like! I've gone back to my original post and removed the server information. Since there are only 8 slots, it wouldn't be likely that a random person would stumble across this information and use it to join our server, but I took it down anyway. Better safe than sorry and all that.

If anyone is coming late to the thread and wants the server details, PM me.

I'll explain spamming: A server admin can change the mode for a player from Survival to Creative. Creative mode allows you to spawn items. A player asked for Creative and was given it and then spawned villagers and iron golems over and over and over and over and did not stop when asked. It was disruptive to other players on the server so Zack reset the server rather than kick or ban the user. As far as I know, there hasn't been a problem since.

We just have a few server rules:

Spam-spawning as described will result in a kick and a warning and then a ban for a second offense.

Griefing is deliberately destroying other players' creations and will also result in a kick, a warning and then a ban for a second offense.

Any use of bad language, bullying behavior, etc. is an immediate ban, but we've not had a problem with this yet. Way to go, everyone!

A lot of people have been asking about helping with the cost. We rent a server through ClanForge and it was $12 US for a month. We can pay extra for more slots on the servers and more memory to run add-ons. After the month is up, if anyone is still interested, I will set up Clan Pay. That will allow you to contribute in any amount and it will be applied to renewal/upgrade fees.

I'm so happy to hear your kids are enjoying the server so much! It's been consistently busy.

laundrycrisis
07-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Just checking back in - what a shame. Mine haven't visited yet (they haven't been told about it yet). They just got multiplayer in our house so they are experimenting with that.

Since the info to get on was posted on the forum, along with the password, it's possible some random person (not a kid from here) got into the world.

On the obsession vs addiction thing - I don't know. Ours are only allowed to actually play 1 hour per day, but they both make mc drawings in their sketchbooks, watch mc-themed youtube videos, and this morning they made some paper mc puppets.....

ScienceGeek
07-09-2012, 03:13 PM
My son (9) asked why someone was sad three times and the server automatically banned him for spamming. Can the person in charge unban him? He didn't realize repeating just a few times was considered spamming. His user name is Thorfinnr. He says the command is
/unban Thorfinnr

Thanks

ginnyjf
07-09-2012, 03:24 PM
My son (9) asked why someone was sad three times and the server automatically banned him for spamming. Can the person in charge unban him? He didn't realize repeating just a few times was considered spamming. His user name is Thorfinnr. He says the command is
/unban Thorfinnr

Thanks

Just unbanned that user name. We've had problems with griefing and spamming so we put some protections in place on the server. Any banning is automatic now. I'm also backing up the server three times each day so if anyone tries griefing again, I can restore back to a point before the damage was done. Hope he has fun!

ScienceGeek
07-11-2012, 01:33 AM
Thanks, yeah he was back on shortly after I posted. Both boys, KalikoS and Thorfinnr have been playing mine craft for almost a year and we have our own server at home but you have to be in our house to get on it. They're having a lot of fun playing with 'new' kids. We'd also be willing to help with future server payments.

Denise Diskin Winchell
07-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Hey.. I'd like to get a clarification on what is allowed, not allowed in player/player interactions. My son got on today for the first time and said he was trapped in a hole by another player and she tried to blow him up with dynamite. He is only 8 so I'm not sure if he was interpreting the situation correctly or not. When I came in to look at what was going on, the other player had logged out.

Thanks Denise

ginnyjf
07-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Denise, I'll be sending you a PM.

Everyone else, from now on I'd like to handle any disputes (and there are many more than I expected) off-forum. If your kids are having problems, please PM me rather than leaving a reply to this thread. I need specifics and Minecraft usernames to get to the bottom of problems and I'm not comfortable making that information public. Plus we don't have to clutter up the board for people who are not interested in Minecraft.

Thanks!

crunchynerd
07-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Denise, I'll be sending you a PM.

Everyone else, from now on I'd like to handle any disputes (and there are many more than I expected) off-forum. If your kids are having problems, please PM me rather than leaving a reply to this thread. I need specifics and Minecraft usernames to get to the bottom of problems and I'm not comfortable making that information public. Plus we don't have to clutter up the board for people who are not interested in Minecraft.

Thanks!

Ugh, from what I have read about the "griefing", it looks to me like Minecraft is as full of Lord Of the Flies behavior as other Massively Multiplayer online games. I love computer games and have done a few online ones from time to time, but I think we'll just steer clear of it for now. Something about the current social standard for honor, compassion, and empathy, (especially when under cover of virtual interaction) being absolutely flatlined, has degraded the experience.

dbmamaz
07-12-2012, 10:06 AM
when my son ran a server, he had to work hard to keep on top of kids who were being rude - it was always a friend of a friend, but he finally took my advice and started giving them progressively longer 'time outs' for being rude. But i'm pretty sure thats a big part of what inspired him to drop the server - not only were none of his friends willing to pitch in money (he was using his allowance to pay for the server), but the stress of staying on top of the rude kids made it a job, not a game

ScienceGeek
07-13-2012, 12:12 PM
I think its working out ok. From what my boys say it sounds like they are all working it out. They would rather keep the server up even if there are the occassional problems then have it stop.

Denise Diskin Winchell
07-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Hey ginny... Your private messages have hit your allowed quota... I am trying to reply but it says you need to delete some private messages first...

Denise

ginnyjf
07-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Just cleared some out, thanks, Denise.

lakshmi
08-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Just found this post (http://familyrun.ning.com/forum/topics/minecraft) on a radical unschooling forum

I did not read any of this thread so I have no idea if this is even appropriate.