PDA

View Full Version : How much do you read aloud?

farrarwilliams
06-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Polls are just fun, so I'm making another one. :D That is all.

lynne
06-25-2012, 05:24 PM
I still read aloud with my 7 year old almost every day, but only for 15-20 minutes or so. We usually take turns reading. It helps me to see which words he's having trouble with/mispronouncing.

Sometimes we all read together (me and both boys), in which case we all take turns.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
06-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Probably about an hour. It's usually a combination of books for history and read alouds. I'm kind of disappointed that I'm not doing as much as last school year. I did over 30 read alouds last year and less than half that number this year. The kids are just busy busy busy with their own play and projects and aren't as interested. Sometimes it takes days of effort to get them to even start a new book, even if I tell them it's the most wonderful, exciting, funny, famous book in the whole universe. "Please let me just read the first chapter of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. C'mon, please?"

AmyButler
06-25-2012, 05:45 PM
You need an "It depends on how long the chapter is" choice :)

Stella M
06-25-2012, 05:47 PM
For the last - let's say 13 years :) - I've been reading aloud 60min plus per day...

I've just eased off on reading to the girls this year - we tend to listen to audio books together more - but I read to ds every day for school and/or pleasure.

I love reading aloud, I really think it's super fun and the best bit of homeschooling, maybe even my favourite bit of parenting!

PetVet
06-25-2012, 07:26 PM
We try to read aloud (taking turns by page) every day, but usually end up doing so 4-5 days/week and how long we go on for does depend upon how long the chapters are. :) However if we both really love the book (ie Harry Potter) then we've been known to read aloud 2-3 hours/day, 7 days/week, until finished... Bring on the cough drops! ;)

LuvMyPink83
06-25-2012, 09:17 PM
I agree, polls are so freakin' fun! I have hundreds of poll questions but I don't wanna go overboard.

I chose 30mins to an hour. But I'm planning on doing more at different times during the day.

Avalon
06-25-2012, 10:08 PM
I am a huge fan of reading aloud. I've always made it a big part of our homeschool routine. It's the best way to get the kids involved in a topic they think they have no interest in. It's easy to convince them, because it's so much easier than doing more math or writing. They're allowed to do crafts or build with lego or anything at all while listening, and they have both learned SO MUCH. I try to choose a variety of fiction, non-fiction, and different levels of difficulty. They've been exposed to so much literature, poetry, history, and even science this way.

We haven't done nearly as much as usual this year, because I wanted to focus more attention on "the basics," but next year, I'm getting back into it. I find it so effective and so easy.

JinxieFox
06-26-2012, 02:09 AM
Every night for about a half-hour before bed when my son is here. Granted, he does it half the time... It depends on the story. But, yeah, he's 9 1/2 and we still have a bedtime story. Just finished Emily's Runaway Imagination last night.

hockeymom
06-26-2012, 06:08 AM
I answered "we've passed the stage", although this year I did manage to read our history aloud still. I'm going to try to keep it up this upcoming year too, as I know he gets so much more out of it when we can discuss it together. But, for pure pleasure...he started reading to himself before bed around age 7 or maybe just when he turned 8, so that ship passed long ago. We still read together on occasion, just separate books and to ourselves. :)

ksb427
06-26-2012, 07:54 AM
I still read aloud to my 9 and 12 year old. I realize we may be at the end with the older one, but will keep going until he says when. ;) Right now we're in book 7 of HP. We started, I believe, last August.

farrarwilliams
06-26-2012, 09:12 AM
After posting that poll, because of a weird schedule day, I didn't read aloud to my kids at all yesterday! D'oh! But a rarity that was. We often do more than an hour total.

inmom
06-26-2012, 10:12 AM
We are past the read-aloud stage, but I definitely read myself hoarse for years!

koalaborg
06-26-2012, 08:57 PM
My daughter is 5 and so we do a lot of read alouds for our homeschool and several short books for bedtimes. In the past several months as my daughter becomes more independent in her reading, she has taken over the reading and I help her with tough words. I really enjoy reading aloud with her!

zcat
06-26-2012, 11:31 PM
I don't know how much time I spend reading aloud. I read until I need a break or dd asks me to stop.
I am reading from 2-3 books aloud to dd regularly. This includes things like history and science books instead of just fiction.

Dd doesn't have me read bedtime stories anymore.

MrsLOLcat
06-27-2012, 09:29 PM
I usually read a chapter (or part of one) to the kids at bedtime each night, and then I do some reading during the school year. We don't do a ton, though. I remember my mother forcing me and my sister to listen to her read the Bible each morning after breakfast as well as some random biography that she'd checked out from the library after school got out. I want my kids to LIKE the read-alouds... and so far, they do. They beg for chapter time.

Paula
06-28-2012, 09:47 AM
I love reading aloud to my son, especially if he's in love with the book. He'll politely listen to a random picture book as I try to enliven it with a little drama, but when he loves a book, it's magical.

I'm trying to steer him back toward "quality literature" since he practically snored through Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I picked up a Goosebumps book at the library that resuscitated him. At the end of every cliffhanger chapter, he demands, "read more! read more! read more!"

But, oh, how I wish he'd say that for Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM or something. After we plow through this latest R.L. Stine goodie, I plan on reading him The Hobbit. Already expecting defeat, I've printed out some "finger puppets" and tried on some hobbit-voices to help make the reading come to life.

We'll see how it goes.

inmom
06-28-2012, 10:32 AM
...... and tried on some hobbit-voices to help make the reading come to life

That definitely worked here. My kids, especially my dd, loved different goofy voices when I read aloud. Even now, if I read something to them from the news, she insists on different voices. And she's almost 16........

She's my goofball.

bcnlvr
06-28-2012, 10:44 AM
I feel bad and will out myself, thus further guilting me into reading aloud more. I read aloud maybe, maybe, an hour a month. And when school is in....I'll read aloud a lot then, but it's during school.

You may now throw rocks.

lynne
06-28-2012, 11:11 AM
I feel bad and will out myself, thus further guilting me into reading aloud more. I read aloud maybe, maybe, an hour a month. And when school is in....I'll read aloud a lot then, but it's during school.

You may now throw rocks.

You shouldn't feel bad about this! Based on your posts, it is obvious you are doing a great job with homeschooling. One thing I've noticed with my younger son is that when I read aloud and then ask him questions about what I read, many times he doesn't know. He sometimes zones out while I'm reading. But when I have him read aloud (or even read to himself) and then ask him questions, he always gets them right. So clearly his comprehension is much better when he's doing the reading than when I do. I think it's the same for me (I also comprehend more when I'm doing the reading versus the listening). That is my reason for not reading aloud more than 30 minutes/day with him and when I do, it's always with turn taking to keep his attention up.

Pilgrim
06-28-2012, 11:26 AM
At bedtime, there's 30 minutes or so of reading aloud. We'll be using the same books next year for both kids, so we'll also be doing more reading aloud together on the sofa every day -- probably another 30 minutes. That's all they can deal with in one sitting.

bcnlvr
06-28-2012, 06:23 PM
You shouldn't feel bad about this! Based on your posts, it is obvious you are doing a great job with homeschooling. One thing I've noticed with my younger son is that when I read aloud and then ask him questions about what I read, many times he doesn't know. He sometimes zones out while I'm reading. But when I have him read aloud (or even read to himself) and then ask him questions, he always gets them right. So clearly his comprehension is much better when he's doing the reading than when I do. I think it's the same for me (I also comprehend more when I'm doing the reading versus the listening). That is my reason for not reading aloud more than 30 minutes/day with him and when I do, it's always with turn taking to keep his attention up.

I have this, too. We will take turns reading because ds will zone out....

Stella M
06-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Yep, as always, it's about what works best with your particular child.

Don't feel bad, bcn.

Because then I will have to go and feel bad about all the great stuff I don't do with my kids, because it doesn't work for us.

hockeymom
06-29-2012, 06:16 AM
Oh, Bcn, don't feel bad. Because if you feel bad then I'll have to feel bad, and I don't because reading aloud (fiction, anyway) just doesn't work for my DS anymore. He's simply outgrown it. I have no doubt you put in your time when the kids were younger; I certainly did with hours and hours and hours on the couch reading every single day. I loved it, but the fact that he's such a strong independent reader now is really the payoff.

My favorite parenting quote (did I read it here?): "Parenting is the only job where the goal is to get fired". Given that DS can easily spend 5 or 6 hours a day reading to himself (when I let him!), I'd say it's safe to say I've been fired from that particular job. And it feels good! :)

No mama guilt, Bcn! Repeat: no mama guilt! :)

dottieanna29
06-29-2012, 08:17 AM
I guess I'm the only one who has kids that absolutely hate read-alouds and always have. Even as littles, the liked to sit and snuggle but would get mad if I tried to read to them. Now I can pull it off if I have them doing something else, like coloring or playing, but they really aren't listening. They are chatting with each other (neither of them ever stops talking while awake). We tried read-alouds at bed time but what they really like to do is take turns telling a made up story. Vicki's are usually unicorns and rainbows, while Georgie's are monsters and dragons.

bcnlvr
06-29-2012, 01:47 PM
I guess I'm the only one who has kids that absolutely hate read-alouds and always have. Even as littles, the liked to sit and snuggle but would get mad if I tried to read to them. Now I can pull it off if I have them doing something else, like coloring or playing, but they really aren't listening. They are chatting with each other (neither of them ever stops talking while awake). We tried read-alouds at bed time but what they really like to do is take turns telling a made up story. Vicki's are usually unicorns and rainbows, while Georgie's are monsters and dragons.

Werd!

10 characters

farrarwilliams
06-29-2012, 04:03 PM

I think you're probably in the minority, but you're definitely not alone - I know of families like this. And I know of a few kids who really dislike being read to - they'd much rather read it for themselves. All good. :)