PDA

View Full Version : How Many Children Do You Have?

LuvMyPink83
06-24-2012, 05:30 PM
When we first started homeschooling, our dd was the only child. She's now almost 12 and we have 6. But back then it seemed every homeschooler had pretty big families. Now it seems to be about an average of 3 of all the homeschool families I meet. Although in recent months, I've met more families with 4. So I want to know how many children do you all have? Is homeschooling a big familiy thing or not? Is homeschooling an only child more common now?

JinxieFox
06-25-2012, 07:34 AM
I have one.

For now. :)

He'll be homeschooled through highschool. His younger sibling? Homeschooling is not a definite.

farrarwilliams
06-25-2012, 08:30 AM
I have two, but I know a lot of families of 3 in homeschooling.

Rainefox
06-25-2012, 08:31 AM
I have six biological children. Two of those were homeschooled (ages 25 and 26), two are currently homeschooled (ages 5 and 8), and two are currently in public school (ages 12 and 16, custody thing). I have two step-children (both adopted), they both lived with us, one from the age of 12 (now 22) and the other from the age of 18 (now 28) and both went to public school (their mom insisted). I have two who are the half-siblings of my stepdaughter, and one of those lived in my house from the age of sixteen, but she had dropped out of school and had a baby. She is now 26. Some days they all want to be counted as our children, other days they do not and get picky about who is related in what way. Whatever. All of the next generation are my grandchildren.

So, currently I am homeschooling my eight year old and my five year old. My seven year old granddaughter from my 28 year old stepdaughter is homeschooled and I have agreed to take on a role with that starting in August this year because both of her parents work. I had agreed to homeschool my four year old grandson from my 25 year old daughter because she wants him homeschooled and she is a single mom. I don't plan to start working with him much until next year, unless his mother insists this fall. I also have an eight year old granddaughter from my stepdaughter's half-sister that I am tutoring over the summer and may homeschool starting this fall.

We don't really fit any categories, I guess.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
06-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Two kids here. I was open to having three, but having "two under two" changed my mind about having any more pretty quickly. My son also has some developmental and behavioral issues and I can't imaging handling even one more kid, much less another one who could wind up having issues as well.

Homeschooling families I know personally range from one to four kids. There isn't a strong evangelical presence in this part of New England. It has become fashionable in the wealthy suburbs of Boston to have four or more kids, according to a newspaper article I read a couple of years ago. Think "Chevy Suburban-full" instead of "quiver-full". :)

hockeymom
06-25-2012, 08:45 AM
One for us. :)

I don't know many people--homeschoolers and not--who chose to only have one, and don't want another. I'm surprised that although my son is 9 and I'm nearly 40, people STILL ask when I'm going to have another kid. lol

dottieanna29
06-25-2012, 08:55 AM
I have 3 but only my younger two are homeschooling. My oldest just graduated from public school.

JinxieFox
06-25-2012, 09:12 AM
One for us. :)

I don't know many people--homeschoolers and not--who chose to only have one, and don't want another. I'm surprised that although my son is 9 and I'm nearly 40, people STILL ask when I'm going to have another kid. lol

I hate it when people ask that. The only reason I am now having another? Remarriage. But we'd be perfectly happy with the one I've already got. To be honest, I hate that I can no longer be counted as part of the "only child" group any more. :sad: (Gosh, maybe this belongs in the hater thread!)

Then again, I guess 2 isn't so bad, especially with one of them already 10-years-old by the time #2 is born.

bcnlvr
06-25-2012, 09:49 AM
2 kids here.

I have older (graduated, never lived with us) step kids...for a total of 4. But we didn't raise them at all. At. All. We were just allowed to send money. lol

LuvMyPink83
06-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Rainefox, when creating the poll I did consider all of the different dynamics of stepchildren, adult children, foster/adopted children, public school children, online schooled children, and "picky" children who bounce between them all. I just figured people would elaborate if there isn't one answer that perfectly describes them. I think it's cool that you're homeschooling grandchildren. I wonder if that'll be me?

Accidental Homeschooler
06-25-2012, 10:18 AM
We have two, both homeschooled, one for a year and a half and the other a year and a quarter. My older dd will be taking a few classes at the high school this Fall and hsing the rest. My younger special needs dd will be hsing for the foreseeable future.

AmyButler
06-25-2012, 10:19 AM
I have 2 daughters, but they are both pretty much only children. There is 17 years and 10 days between them. After my first I was told by the Dr that I would never be able to have another child, that even I got pregnant, I would not be able to carry the child. After divorce and remarriage my husband and I went 11 years with no birth control and we shocked when I ended up pregnant at 40. It was a rough pregnancy, and she and I both almost died during delivery, but we made it somehow. I did not homeschool my older child--there was no need. She was able to navigate the school system(s) with success and did not have many issues at all. The little one, on the other hand, although she did very well in public schools in VA, did not, and could not, adapt to the sit down, shut up, and fill out the worksheet school here in MA, and gifted progaming was almost non-existant so she didn't even have that outlet. We lasted 4 months in the public school, and that was enough to destroy her self-confidence and effect her health. I have been homeschooling her since January, and will continue to do so at least as long as we are stationed here. We will see what we will do when the Army decides to move us again and where we end up. At this point, she would like to go to High School, especially if we can get her into a STEM charter school.

farrarwilliams
06-25-2012, 10:23 AM
I would kinda love to homeschool my future grandchildren on day... How awesome. Of course, this requires that my children eventually exit the "sex sounds scary and gross" stage and we're not even there yet.

dbmamaz
06-25-2012, 11:05 AM
I have a daughter I never homeschooled (but did work w the school and get her dual enrolled w most credits at cc) who will be starting at the local university as a Jr in the fall, and I have 2 boys i'm homeschooling.

I have local homeschooling friends with 1 to . . . um, not sure if she has 5 or 6? i lose count. She and her husband had one son, then converted to islam and had a ton more . . . her son, last time I heard, was in private boys school - all the rest of the kids except the baby were girls, and apparently he couldnt put up w being surrounded by girls all day. Yeah, I think its 6 - 4 girls and 2 boys.

h5rus
06-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Three kids here and currently homeschooling my nearly nine year old. I have three year old twins that I definitely plan on homeschooling. With my first I was incredibly unsure whether I could homeschool so it was a rough start but now that we're going on four years of homeschooling, I am not even hesitating with my two little ones and they are most definitely going to be homeschooled!

opheliag
06-25-2012, 11:58 AM
I have three and homeschool all. We started officially homeschooling in 2006 when my oldest turned 5 and have been at it ever since.

Gabriela
06-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Rainefox... Wow!

Avalon
06-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Just two kids of my own, but I always seem to have one or two extra floating around! I homeschooled another boy for about 2 years, so lots of people assumed he was mine. I homeschooled my niece this year, and I have an international student living with us who attends the local high school. There seem to be anywhere from 2 to 4 kids around here at any given time, plus their friends.

Stella M
06-26-2012, 10:23 PM
I have three.

Two are homeschooled.

One is officially at ps but hasn't gone for the last 2 weeks, so she is is nowhere-land....

I would have preferred 4.

Alaskamom
06-26-2012, 10:30 PM
I have four. We have always homeschooled and never have been in the system. I have an 8yo, 6 yo, 4 yo, and a 21 month old.

dottieanna29
06-27-2012, 08:57 AM
I hate it when people ask that. The only reason I am now having another? Remarriage. But we'd be perfectly happy with the one I've already got. To be honest, I hate that I can no longer be counted as part of the "only child" group any more. :sad: (Gosh, maybe this belongs in the hater thread!)

Then again, I guess 2 isn't so bad, especially with one of them already 10-years-old by the time #2 is born.

When I had my son, 11 years after my oldest, it felt more like two "only" children, then siblings. Especially because she only lives here half the time.

JinxieFox
06-27-2012, 09:21 AM
When I had my son, 11 years after my oldest, it felt more like two "only" children, then siblings. Especially because she only lives here half the time.

Yup, my son only lives with me part of the time too. So it's weird to think of going from one some of the time, to two... Or is it one-and-a-half? Hey, I'm still processing actually seeing the little spawnlet from yesterday's ultrasound!

Kirsji
06-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Ah geez, I voted wrong!
I voted 5 without looking at the last option ... sorry about that!

I have 5 kids ... one graduated from public high school 2 years ago and one remained in public school (10th).
I was homeschooling the three youngest, but my 13 year old is going back to public school in the fall.

In the fall I will be homeschooling 2 of my kids.

ourjourney
06-30-2012, 09:53 PM
I have three kids. I thought I would have two but the youngest turned out to be twins - so three it is.

mamaraby
07-01-2012, 01:37 AM
After my middle child was born, I was done, content, and happy with two. I have three and there will (thankfully) be no more than that.

There are quite a few families around these parts (homeschooling and LLL wise) that have oodles of kids. There's a very vocal contingent of quverfulers that are probably fewer in number than they seem, but just about dominate the conversation. I about fell off my chair when I got a copy of "Above Rubies" with the LLL packet when my middle one was a baby. Sometimes it feels a bit like there's some sort of unofficial competition or maybe it's just contagious?

So, yeah, at least where I am it seems like the large homeschooling stereotype is alive and well.

fw221
07-01-2012, 03:36 AM
I have two. One will start homeschooling 5th grade, the other will start Kindy at the public school this fall.

Marmalade
07-02-2012, 01:54 PM
I have 5. One of them is a baby but he will "officially" start homeschooling in about 5 years.

I think a part of why we homeschool is because we are a big family-but it's such a tiny bit of why. It's a lot easier for us than trekking that many people to school and back.

I'm very curious about the outcome of this poll.

Martha
07-05-2012, 12:20 AM
I have 10. Only had 5 when I first started home schooling. I think home schooling is easier on a large family. Granted I work very hard to put together curricula, schedules and teach and so forth, but it's still less stress than when I had 2 in k and 1st grade. Private/public schooling is at least the same amount of time and work, but none of it is tailored to us or by us, kwim?

Aside from that, home schooling is becoming more and more acceptable for anyone for academic reasons instead of just fundy seclusionist people. So it doesn't surprise me to see smaller and or non religiou families choosing it more these days.

EmmaNadine
07-05-2012, 02:07 AM
I put one, but actually have two kids. My older son died from a genetic disorder. How many kids do you have is always an awkward question for me, because I have two, but people only see one, and if I say two then they want to know where the other one is, but if I say one then I feel like I am dishonoring his memory. But, I'm only homeschooling one child. So, one.

Dawn Mitchell Chace
07-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Just WOW! I'm tired just reading your post LOL How do you keep everything organized?

LuvMyPink83
07-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Martha you have 10?! Impressive!

LuvMyPink83
07-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Are there any big families here, 4 or more, who are non-religious/secular all the way?

Jackielyn
07-08-2012, 12:04 AM
I have 3, ages 9,7 and 5. I am homeschooling them all, they have always been homeschooled. The only time we were "in the system" is when we did Connections Academy for my oldest 2nd grade and my middle son's K year. My daughter is starting K work now so it's been interesting trying to fit all three in, but right now we are in a good grove :)

Elizabeth Daniel Nizinski
07-08-2012, 10:53 AM
I have 3 children: a teenage daughter, she lives with her grandparents and goes to private school. I homeschool my 2 youngest boys (3 & 6 years old).

bailbrae
07-11-2012, 11:21 AM
I have two boys. Both of their birthdays are next month, just two days apart. They will turn 13 and 8. :)

snowpeople5
07-11-2012, 12:22 PM
We have 3. For some reason both me and my DH always wanted 3, but now I think DH wouldn't mind another one. But I am toooo tired and tooooo old, so I think we are done. LOL And technically we are not homeschooling yet, since my oldest will only be 4 in a few weeks. But this is our plan, unless things drastically change.

Kelly Cyr-Levesque
07-19-2012, 10:46 PM
We have 3 but there is a 14 year age gap between 1 and 2 (DD is 19, DS is 4 and baby is almost 2)

daffodil
07-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Three. One is a baby.

Freedom
10-03-2012, 10:22 AM
One. - Actually had another homeschool mom say this in front of my Dd, "What a waste of your life to only be homeschooling one child! You should send her to public school."

I notice that it's hard for Dd to make friends because kids will purposely leave her out of conversations and talk with their siblings instead. She recently connected with a girl her own age, but the mom insist that Dd also play with her other younger girl, who is half Dd's age. This keeps the two older girls from ever getting any alone time so as not to form any real connection or be able to talk about topics of interest to them. They can't even watch a movie for their age group because the little girl has to have exactly what she wants, all of the time.