PDA

View Full Version : Dog fever

dbmamaz
06-14-2010, 02:16 PM
We might be getting a dog . . .

about a year ago, I had to put down my 13 yo small german shepherd mix who i'd had for 12 years. I really miss having a dog - i'm totally a dog person, and my home never feels complete without one. Dh is more of a cat person, and we have 3 cats, plus he took on a lot of the physical care of the dog. So he wanted a break. but . . .when I called him from the vet to say i had to put her down, his immediate response was, we can get another dog.

So, I kept saying that maybe that could be my holiday present for this year, if life was stable. Iit seemed like now was a good time to start 'shopping' at adoption stands.

This saturday, I met a dog named Snowman. He's a white (yellow-ish) german shepherd, maybe 70 lb, only 2 but very, very mellow. He has thick fur, the kind you can almost grab. He didnt seem to know how to leash walk, but a few tugs and he figured out what I want. I came home and told dh and he even suggested I bring the kids. My 6 yo loved him (no jumping!), my 17 yo (who isnt a dog person) was not impressed, and my 14 yo tried to walk him, but the dog pulled and ran back in to the crate in the truck (it was hot and they were packing up!

He had actually been in this shelter for several months, had been adopted, and just returned that day. The shelter owner said that the adoptive parents were not willing to crate him, and he got destructive when left home alone. But i home school, so thats not a problem! My kids dont even like classes, so we are home a LOT! One of his ex-foster-moms was there, and told me that he used to cuddle with her cats - awesome!

dh ok'd me filing out the application on line, and I got back the automated email today saying they would contact me within 3 days. Biggest problem is, we'll be going to canada in july - so we might have to wait, unless they are willing to trade us taking him earlier for them watching him when we are gone. and of course, i have to decide if we can really handle a big dog in the house.

But i'm so excited! We might get a dog!

Shoe
06-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Oh, that is exciting! I've always felt that a home (especially with kids) just isn't a home without a dog. I love cats (we have two), but our chocolate lab makes our home complete...at least, the kids and I feel that way-my wife might have other opinions on this :D. Good luck with it all!

Snoopy
06-14-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm not a dog person myself but I totally get the excitement about finding a new member of the family :) That's the way I felt when we adopted our 2 cats although now I'd trade one of them for... a goldfish.

Good luck with everything :)

Topsy
06-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Awww...that is so awesome, Cara. I truly hope it works out for you!! We just had to put down our 10 year old black lab a little over a week ago, so this post made me teary-eyed. Here's hoping you'll be grabbing onto that white shepherd fur before you know it!!! :)

dbmamaz
06-14-2010, 10:30 PM
aww, I'm so sorry topsy! i really think i wasnt ready to even meet another dog until recently. Although still, when I remember the first meeting with my last dog . . . its not the same magic. But still, a dog! Fingers in thick fur! Do you think you'll get another some day?

Shoe
06-14-2010, 10:32 PM
We just had to put down our 10 year old black lab a little over a week ago, so this post made me teary-eyed. My condolences Topsy, I'm so sorry to hear that.

jessicalb
06-14-2010, 10:35 PM
I've never heard of a white German Shepherd before. They are so pretty! Have fun with the new member of the family! :)

dbmamaz
06-15-2010, 11:06 AM
I heard back, and they asked me to come in this weekend to the stand and meet a few other large, mellow dogs, so we have some choice, I guess. So i'm trying to chill a bit! DOG!! sigh. Of course, then I run in to my next door neighbor, who lost one dog recently, has a cat which is basically dying outisde and wont let anyone touch it, and one dog left who is 13, and she's saying she wont get another pet becuase 'you cant have anything nice.' Well, I dont have anything nice anyways, but i do worry about having the time to be a good doggy mommy.

Topsy
06-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Do you think you'll get another some day?

Oh yes!! It was my youngest son's dog, which he got as a puppy for his fourth birthday. :) And we still have an older lovable mutt that belongs to my oldest son. But me? I've wanted a daschund for SO long now. So when the pain isn't so fresh, and I feel like I have the time to break in a puppy, I feel sure there will be a few new doggie toys around our house!!

pandahoneybee
06-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Ok I have to chime in here, We got our first dog 13 years ago from the pound in MO and he has been the best dog ever! Brown Shepard/chow mix (or so they told us at the pound) He is so beautiful and gentle and always has been.
We also have a scotty who is the smartest dog ever and great with the kids and everyone. If I ever wanted to get another dog way down the road I would get another Scotty!
Then we have Le Diablo, Anthony's dog Dino(chiwawa)! He is the bane of my existence but he loves me and Anthony so much! But when DH and Alex come in the room he pees all over himself! Vet said he is showing that he is submitting to them, wow could he maybe find another way to submit!
Hope that you all find the doggie love of your life, and Cara no dog can ever replace your first dog but the new one will try soooo hard!

dbmamaz
06-15-2010, 02:18 PM
, wow could he maybe find another way to submit!!
LOL :eek:

They sent a picture of one of the other dogs they are suggesting for me, and her body coloring is JUST like my last dog. I think one of the dogs, who they think is a shepherd/lab, is actually a rottie/lab, which would be a great personality, too. This is so exciting!

pandahoneybee
06-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Cara~ I hope that you find a loving dog for your family. We volunteer at our SPCA and there are alot of rottie and pit mix puppies always up there. So sad really that
the puppies go first, because there are such great older dogs there. (as you know;))

Oh if you are in the market for a chiwawa I know of one:rolleyes:

dbmamaz
06-15-2010, 07:24 PM
No, thanks, no dogs under 45 lb!

Melyssa
06-15-2010, 07:40 PM
I so hope it all works out for you! Good luck! I love dogs. A house is just not a home without one!

dbmamaz
06-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Well, they said that if we are going on vacation next month, we should just start the process seriously when we get back. So its on hold for another month. :( But still, sounds like I'm getting a dog soon! Honestly, we werent planning on getting one until winter - holiday present. But then the guy at the stand said "you may not be in a hurry, but he is." So i started getting excited . . . after all, monday is my birthday! But it WILL happen. Soon enough, in the big picture.

firefly
06-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Cara, it's great you're choosing to share your life w/ a shelter dog! Hope all goes well!

Topsy, so many labs have touched my life. A girlfriend of mine claims I'm only friends w/ her b/c I love her lab (she's mostly right!). I'm sorry for your loss.