PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Missouri!

StraussHouse
06-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Hello everyone! I was so happy to find this site. We live in the Midwest right now so, it seems most home schoolers I have met all do so for religious reasons. We certainly want to incorporate a healthy spiritual aspect to our children's academic life..but the ultra conservative backdrop is not for us. ANYWAY.... we have not begun HS yet. My son is just now 5 yrs old so we will begin in the Fall. I would like to know what curriculum many of you would suggest for Kindergarten. I would like to select curriculum based on my son's interests but I want to begin a good foundation in the basics now. It's really difficult to know how to introduce the idea of "HS" to my son as he has never been to traditional school or even preschool. This , I hope, will actually be an advantage! I hope to meet some of you soon and hear your advice !
Best,
Trina Strauss

Topsy
06-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Welcome to the site, Trina!! It takes a little time, but don't despair of finding local secular homeschoolers!! Check our resource page (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/192-resources) for a list of inclusive/secular support groups in your state, and check out this article (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/220-How-To-Find-Other-Secular-Homeschoolers-Near-You) for other ideas on finding like-minded folks as well! Oh, and don't forget to add yourself to the Missouri Group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=51), as well!! You asked about kindergarten curriculum. That subject comes up a good bit around here, because we have LOTS of first-timers who are members! :) You might check out this thread (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/threads/608-Pre-school-and-K-curricula-and-materials?highlight=kindergarten+curriculum) for info to begin with.

We look forward to getting to know you better. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself!!

Shoe
06-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Hi Trina and welcome to the site. I can't help you much with curriculum since I just started homeschooling my middle school son this year, but there are a lot of experienced homeschoolers here who can help. The best I can do is say "Relax and enjoy the ride!".

Cheers.

pandahoneybee
06-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Welcome to the site! We used to live in MO (warrenton mostly), don't miss the winters there;) We used alot of different things for Anthony who was in the 1st grade the first year we started. Time4learning.com, singapore math, five in a row(some are religious by nature but we just skipped those), science in a bag, were the only ones to make it thru that first year! I am sure that there is alot of people on here who have even more for you to take a look at!
Have fun!

StartingOver
06-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Hi Trina, Welcome !!

There are tons of curriculum for little ones out there. From free to tons of money ! When starting out I read up on learning styles, this can help a lot in finding the right curriculum for your family. Then you can really begin to research in earnest. Luckily all of my children have been literature based learners, with a bit of visual thrown in, and hands on science experiments. So all of my suggestions would take that into account. What we use is below.

Riceball_Mommy
06-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Hi Trina,
We just started homeschooling this year with Pre-K and we'll be moving into Kindergarten soon. We've used Calvert for Pre-K and loved it so we are going to be using it for Kindergarten too. I did make a few substitutions and added on to it a bit but I felt it gave a good foundation for us.

Snoopy
06-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Welcome to the site Trina! For Kingergarten I put my own curriculum together using various materials. We did a lot of reading, a lot of lapbooks for social studies (mostly studying several countries) and science (studying various animals and plants) and used Math U See Primer for math. We also took LOTS of field trips. I think I might have posted more details in the thread Topsy referred you to.

Good luck and feel free to any questions here!