PDA

View Full Version : Equal access bill passed in SC

Trillian
06-18-2012, 11:55 PM
An interesting tidbit for those of us HSing in South Carolina -a bill was just recently passed that will allow homeschoolers to play sports and attend extracurricular classes at their local public school.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess119_2011-2012/bills/149.htm

Anyone have experience with their child dropping in for a class or sport at their local school? I'm not sure if we'll use that option, but I think it's great that it is an option now. But I wonder how that plays out?

hockeymom
06-19-2012, 05:42 AM
We have that option in Maine as well. We haven't used it yet, but looking ahead a couple years it seems we will probably have to for sports. At the middle school level, many sports like track, cross country and lacrosse are offered primarily that way. I haven't done much research into it yet, but there are so many homeschoolers in our area that I don't see it being a problem.

dbmamaz
06-19-2012, 10:55 AM
ack, so jealous! it was shot down in Virginia due to strong grass-roots activity against it by the state PTA.

Trillian
06-19-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm surprised it was passed. It seems like I read that proposals like it had been turned down for a long time here. There was also an organization for public school sports teams that put up a pretty big fight against it. So I don't know what changed this year.

I'm interested in it possibly for next year when my daughter reaches middle school level. I just wonder how the school systems will implement it, and I worry a little there may be some resentment to homeschoolers from teachers/coaches.

bcnlvr
06-19-2012, 02:38 PM
We are only still elementary, but my kids did robotics club, hiphop dance, and choir at the PS. I guess before the legislation, the decision to let in hsers was school-by-school because ours always has let us join their extracurriculars.

bacon

Accidental Homeschooler
06-19-2012, 03:29 PM
We have this option in Iowa. My dd will be taking classes at the high school this Fall. My younger dd will start orchestra in fourth grade. I know people here who have used it in elementary, junior high and/or high school with no problems. It is especially nice for things like sports and band or orchestra. The staff at the high school were very nice/helpful when we registered dd for the high school classes, no resentment or nastiness.

Elmbabies3
06-20-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm pretty sure this has already been a law in Ohio but I do have one question. I have a looong time to worry, my children are 3,2, and 9 mos, and we are only looking at preschooling atm. BUT, if it is law in your state are there any circumstances that the school district could say no to the children participating in sports etc.? I've not contacted our local school yet and this is the only hangup my husband has with hs our children. I do realize things could be different by the time they get to middle school when we are most interested in competitive sports.

Jen Edwards
06-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Very interesting. I am a newbie, starting in August with a 3rd grader so I'm anxious to see how this all works for us if we choose to take advantage of it.

bcnlvr
06-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Very interesting. I am a newbie, starting in August with a 3rd grader so I'm anxious to see how this all works for us if we choose to take advantage of it.
Where are you in SC? Your name rings a bell!

kohlby
07-17-2012, 04:45 PM
What sort of extracurriculars do elem schools offer? All I'm aware of is the early morning running club - and I'm not waking up that early to participate in that! I'm also in SC. My oldest is 4th grade and not the most coordinated so sports likely won't be a big issue. (But my daughter will likely do cross country as soon as she's old enough. I was going to start a homeschool cross country team when the time came, but it looks like I won't have to! I used to coach high school cross country and track).

kewb22
07-20-2012, 10:40 AM
I am busy battling my school district in NJ over this very issue. The NJISAA is fine with it but it is up to the individual district if they will allow it. They are maintiaining their No position without giving me any reason why it is a no. Now I have contacted the person who filed the suit a few years ago that forced the district to allow private school kids to participate in high school sports. So frustrating. My feeling is if you allow the private school kids then it is discriminatory not to allow homeschool kids. Sorry, that is my vent.
I think this will be a good thing for SC.

raegan
08-02-2012, 01:56 PM
For those in states with a history of the battle for legislation...can you describe some of the issues on either side? (Okay, mostly the "NO" side; it literally makes no logical sense to me, so I don't know how to respond if needed.) My older son (2nd grade now) is super-athletic, which is inevitable, given his genetics (both dh and I are jock-geeks). If this is going to take years, I want it in place early enough for us to take advantage when the time comes. For instance, why does the PTA even give a rip? I don't see how it would even affect them one whit.

I have heard that it's not so much a state law issue, but a MSHSAA rule which won't sanction competition for a team with a hs'er; a team would forfeit their whole season for allowing a hs student to play/sing/participate in any competition with another MSHSAA school team. Something about "team shopping," but that's ridiculous if the student participates with the school which s/he would attend if they went to school. (See? I don't understand the opposition whatsoever.)

There are hs teams around here, but they're super-duper-evangelical/religious. I won't say "never," but I sure as hell don't like the idea of him playing with them (plus they are almost all white; my son is not).

I'm not averse to aligning myself with those same evangelicals to take on the issue, though. My background is in politics/state government, and my dad was my high school Athletic Director and was involved with some MSHSAA policy-making, so I feel comfortable with that. It would be helpful to know my "enemy," though, yk?