View Full Version : I need your advice please!

06-18-2012, 03:43 PM
I have done a lot of research with Berklee and also homeschoolers here in PR. My issue is that with Berklee ds can apply with a portfolio, but for admission he will need to present evidence tht he has met graduation requirements for homeschoolers here. The homeschoolers I have contacted here tell me that that will be difficult as there are no regulations or requirements for homeschoolers in PR. Therefore, I will have a tough time, if not impossible, coming up with something that can evidence that I met graduation requirements.

Seems like I have two options: either an online or umbrella school that provides curriculum, or finding an umbrella school that presents transcripts or diploma based on the curriculum we choose.

Given these two options, which would you think is best? How would you choose between the two?

I worry that a diploma from one of these will not be as "valuable" or "respectable"?? I don't know....

06-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Have you spoken with an admissions counselor? I'm sure they have dealt with homeschoolers before, especially given their intense focus. Since PR doesn't have homeschool graduation requirements, they might suggest you follow those for Massachusetts. As for transcripts, you absolutely can make them yourself (or pay a service or certified teacher to create them using documentation of your son's high school courses and other relevant experience). Berklee of course is highly competitive and you'll no doubt want to be in close contact with the admissions department to make sure you cover your bases. HTH

06-18-2012, 04:13 PM
IMO, it's a no-brainer. The latter. BTDT with the online school thing. The flexibility to educate my child the way I saw fit went out the window. A GED (acceptable according to the Berklee website) with appropriate Accountability Association (or umbrella, whatever your state calls it) transcript, should suffice. As always, talk to the school where you want to be and talk to them about your particular situation.


06-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Which online school did you use bacon? Just out of curiosity...

Do any of you have any suggestions for an "appropriate Accountability Association (or umbrella, whatever your state calls it) transcript" that you mention??

My son would not be eligible to take a GED test when he gradutaes because he is too young. Also, I don't want him to get a GED because it seems to defeat the purpose after a solid education...

06-22-2012, 11:10 AM
I used k12.

I don't know what your homeschool laws are. I was talking about here in SC, where I am accountable to a homeschool association. They will do "official transcripts" for me, or I can do them on my own. Donna Young has a lot of info on that (and where I will probably go when it's time)... http://www.donnayoung.org/forms/planners/hs-transcript.htm

You can get age waivers for the GED. Also your state will have info on how to get a "high school diploma", if that is a necessity for you. Also, this looks like a good resource for hsers in PR: https://sites.google.com/site/tchersprusvi/Home

06-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Maybe look at http://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/.

06-24-2012, 07:53 PM
I have a friend that lives in PR and both of her sons graduated from a homeschool private school called Malibu Cove High School. They received their official transcripts and high school diplomas and both have since graduated from the colleges they had chosen to attend. Maybe that school could be a good choice for you?

07-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Hello, I just read the Berkelee admissions FAQ for homeschoolers and did not see the same thing you say. I read: "Homeschooled applicants should submit a homeschool portfolio outlining
all course content, textbooks used, examples of work done, and grades
from this page: http://www.berklee.edu/pdf/main_application.pdf
If you line up the requirements that they expect from schooled kids you probably will be just fine. I see nothing that talks about umbrella schools.
However any specific college admissions questions should be asked directly of the admissions office for that school, call them on the phone and ask.

07-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Hi Christine. I did call and speak to the admissions department, that is where I got the information, and how I know that he will need to present evidence that he has met graduation requirements.

As in your quote, he can APPLY submitting a portfolio, but in order to enroll and attend he will need to present that evidence.

Blue Flag Mom
07-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Can you find an official statement that PR does not have specific requirements for homeschool graduation, then state what your graduation requirements were and present evidence that he has met YOUR requirements?