PDA

View Full Version : notifications

Sarbare0704
06-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Maybe I'm a little too Facebook addicted but I think it would be really nice to have some sort of notification thing where it told you when a post you commented on was replied to other then having to hunt all the posts down and check the icon next to them. Maybe there is something here and I'm missing it?

Shoe
06-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Maybe I'm a little too Facebook addicted but I think it would be really nice to have some sort of notification thing where it told you when a post you commented on was replied to other then having to hunt all the posts down and check the icon next to them. Maybe there is something here and I'm missing it?

I'm sure Topsy will be able to answer this better than me, but until she shows up, here are a few options to help keep track of threads.

1. The first is obviously the "search" feature, which is a great tool when looking for old threads-I've never had trouble finding a thread using this option.
2. Another helpful tool is the "New Posts" feature on the top left hand side of any forum page, under the "Home" button. This will show all unread posts that have been posted from when you last logged in. I read all the forum posts, and this is how I keep track of new ones.
3. There is also the "subscribe to thread" option under "Thread Tools" at the top right of the page. It looks like it could be a useful tool as well, but I have to admit that I've never used it.

I don't know if there are any other ways or specific notification tools, but again, I'm sure Topsy or pandahoneybee will be along at some point.

Sarbare0704
06-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks! I like the recent posts box on the main page a lot but is there a way for it to show more then 5? Sometimes there are more then 5 recent things since I checked last. I never thought of the search box or subscribe, so thanks for those ideas! I knew someone would know more then me as I have not been on here that long.

Shoe
06-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks! I like the recent posts box on the main page a lot but is there a way for it to show more then 5? Sometimes there are more then 5 recent things since I checked last. I never thought of the search box or subscribe, so thanks for those ideas! I knew someone would know more then me as I have not been on here that long.

I don't think there is a way to have the recent posts box on the main page show more than 5 posts...but the "New Posts" button on any Forum page does show more than 5, and pretty much serves the same purpose.

Topsy
06-14-2010, 02:20 PM

Oh...no worries, Sara! We are Facebook competitive around here!! ;) There is this great little setting in your "Settings" menu that will accomplish just what you are asking for. Head up to your Settings menu -> then look for "Forum Settings" in your lefthand sidebar. Scroll down to "Default Thread Subscription Mode". You will see a drop-down box where the default setting is "Do Not Subscribe." You want to change this setting to: "Through My Control Panel Only" (OR you can have the notifications sent to you via email, if you don't mind a clogged up inbox!!) :p Be sure to click "Save Changes" at the bottom of the settings page to apply your new changes.

With this setting, you will get notifications each time you log in of any new responses to the threads you have posted in! Cool, huh?? :cool:

Shoe
06-14-2010, 02:28 PM
With this setting, you will get notifications each time you log in of any new responses to the threads you have posted in! Cool, huh?? :cool: Very cool :cool: Topsy! Thanks. I never noticed those settings before.

Sarbare0704
06-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks! I never saw that either!

Snoopy
06-14-2010, 08:58 PM
I read all the forum posts, and this is how I keep track of new ones.
Do you mean to say that there are people here who DON'T read all the threads and posts?!? Unpossible! OK, maybe we both need to get a life, eh?
Shoe, I want to command you, once again, for an excellent support job! Your explanations were very understandable and thorough. Your patients must love you!

Shoe
06-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Do you mean to say that there are people here who DON'T read all the threads and posts?!? Unpossible! OK, maybe we both need to get a life, eh?
Shoe, I want to command you, once again, for an excellent support job! Your explanations were very understandable and thorough. Your patients must love you!

I can't imagine there are people who don't read them all...most just don't respond to as many as our untouchable member extraordinaire :) . You're very sweet, Nathalie, but it's Topsy, not me who deserves the credit-I may have provided a band aid, but she put this all together and gives better explanations than I ever could. I just tend to babble-glad it's sometimes helpful. So, thanks Topsy!

Snoopy
06-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Yes it goes without saying that we all owe Topsy and enormous debt of gratitude for setting this up for us and making sure it runs smoothly:)
We should institute a "Topsy Day"!

camaro
06-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Maybe this should be under the Confessions topic in the Teachers' Lounge...but I must confess that I don't read all the forum posts. Am I grounded? ;)

Shoe
06-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Consider yourself grounded!

Or maybe I need to consider the possibility that I spend too much time here?

Topsy
06-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Hmmm....."Topsy Day", eh? As long as it involves blue, lapping, glistening, (preferably not oil-choked) water and something cold with an umbrella in it, I'm in!!!! ;)

BPier12
06-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Maybe this should be under the Confessions topic in the Teachers' Lounge...but I must confess that I don't read all the forum posts. Am I grounded? ;)

I guess you and I can be kicked out of the club together, David! ;)

firefly
06-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Who has time for Facebook when SHS members offer all these wonderful links that must be hunted down? Read all the posts? I haven't even discovered all the Forum topics yet!

I get so busy reading stuff, and searching here & there, that I forget to post a "Hey, thanks a million for that ____ !" & can't remember where I was... Or, I just nod off & hope to catch up the next day!

BTW, thanks a million folks! ;)

Sarbare0704
06-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Who has time for Facebook when SHS members offer all these wonderful links that must be hunted down? Read all the posts? I haven't even discovered all the Forum topics yet! )

LOL! I just leave them both up all day and whenever I get a chance to sit down I check them both! But I agree there is so much amazing information flowing on here it is enough to keep you busy!

Snoopy
06-17-2010, 02:04 AM
Who has time for Facebook when SHS members offer all these wonderful links that must be hunted down? Read all the posts? I haven't even discovered all the Forum topics yet!

I get so busy reading stuff, and searching here & there, that I forget to post a "Hey, thanks a million for that ____ !" & can't remember where I was... Or, I just nod off & hope to catch up the next day!

BTW, thanks a million folks! ;) LOL you're welcome. This is why I'm still up at past 2 a.m., clicking on the New Posts buttons -- I was busy today and didn't get a chance to read the posts throughout the day as I usually do. I need to go to bed!