PDA

View Full Version : Comparative Religion Text for 10th Grade or Above

Stella M
06-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Any suggestions ? Needs to be coming from a neutral pov. Upper high school or first year college ( or whatever it is called there, sorry! ) Or a good text for a general reader. Major world religions.

Thank you!

Eta Oh, and Farrar, if you read this, dd14 would also like 'something' to read on the Quakers - she is interested in their work for peace in the lead up to WW11, but would also like anything you might recommend for a general overview.

dbmamaz
06-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Have you looked at Intellego unit studies? of course its not a book

Stella M
06-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not as crazy for Intellego as I was, and dd14 prefers non-screen resources. I might keep it in mind for ds down the track though.

Anyone else got something ??!!

inmom
06-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Sorry, this isn't a text, but this Great Courses DVD does come with a book of lecture notes, including questions: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=6172

Stella M
06-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Awesome, thanks...I'll check it out. When I say screens, i meant computer screens :)

lakshmi
06-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Would a freshman college text be too far above her scope?

Stella M
06-14-2012, 10:40 PM
I don't know what freshman means :)

We've been using a first year psychology text, and that's been OK.

farrarwilliams
06-15-2012, 07:00 AM
I know there's a book I'm thinking of... a pop nonfiction religion book... but my brain is fried. I'll come back when I can process things other than Shakespeare.

And a Quaker book... I do know something... what was it from school...

Stella M
06-15-2012, 06:45 PM
No problem, whenever you get a chance :)

dbmamaz
06-15-2012, 08:04 PM
i also have been wondering about the Myth show by . . . um, i forget the name. its on netflix and gets good reviews. I keep thinking joseph conrad, but of course thats wrong. i think he was a professor . . .

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
06-15-2012, 10:09 PM
i also have been wondering about the Myth show by . . . um, i forget the name. its on netflix and gets good reviews. I keep thinking joseph conrad, but of course thats wrong. i think he was a professor . . .

Joseph Campbell?

dbmamaz
06-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Yes, thats it, thanks! (you now have a clue as to how my brain stores names . . . by first letter. or sometimes by most significant letter, like 'it has a Q in it')

Stella M
06-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Oh well, here is how my brain stores things - not at all! I was about to buy one of Campbell's books on audio ( thanks for the memory jog AMM and Cara ) when dh reminded me we have a whole set of Joseph Campbell videos upstairs.

Heliconian
06-18-2012, 11:26 AM
My personal favorite is Huston Smith's World Religions.
http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Religions-Plus-Huston-Smith/dp/0061660183

It is an amazing book, by a deeply spiritual man. I would describe it as neutral, in that it didn't feel to me that he favored any one religion over another, but I would actually have trouble describing it as 100% secular, since Huston Smith believed so firmly that spiritual truth could be reached by examining all religions for commonalities. I don't know if it will fit your needs, but I originally purchased it as a textbook in a public high school philosophy class, so it is probably the right level, it is very affordable, and is an easy read.

- Ellen

Stella M
06-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Thank you Ellen, I will take a look.

farrarwilliams
06-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Here's the one I was thinking of - Our Religions (http://www.amazon.com/Our-Religions-Introduced-Preeminent-Tradition/dp/0060677007/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340202665&sr=1-1&keywords=our+religions) - a nice, useful introduction. I also kind of like Karen Armstrong's History of God, but it's a weird book in some ways - you'd have to like Karen Armstrong to enjoy it and appreciate where she's coming from (she was a Catholic nun who then left the church but who is still Christian and writes a lot about the need for religion in modern life). I feel like it would be fair to balance it with some Dawkins if one was reading her in an academic context.

I've come up dry on the Quakers though... I realize that everything I know that's about Quakerism isn't about history at all - it's just about philosophy or education. I know there are books out there, I just haven't read any of them.

Stella M
06-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks for that Farrar.