PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Seattle area!

NaNa
06-14-2010, 12:53 PM
We've decided to take the plunge and start homeschooling. I'm a bit freaked out about leaving our school community and losing a lot of those connections, though! Right now I'm deep in the gathering-information stage, and it's all a bit daunting, so I'm sure I'll be around here quite a bit trying to figure out what to do.

We have a 7 year old son who is excited to have the chance to learn at home (and around the area!). I'm excited to get my son back after having him away at school for a couple of years! I'm looking forward to a relaxing summer as we tentatively wade into the homeschooling waters bit by bit.

My area is well known for being the least religious area of the US, but I'm a bit worried that the homeschool community will still skew toward the religious. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised when we jump into some of the local events over the next few months!

Topsy
06-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Welcome NaNa!! I think you are going to be VERY pleasantly surprised about the secular homeschooling scene in the Seattle area. From what I've heard on this site and others, there is a large and varied homeschool population out there, and I bet you will find plenty of local support and resources!! In the meantime, we'd love to have you add yourself to our Washington group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=74), for local info and discussions.

Glad to have you here at SHS.com! Hope you make yourself right at home...

Shoe
06-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Welcome to the site. There are a lot of good people and a lot of great information around here.

Cheers.

StartingOver
06-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Welcome Nana !!

pandahoneybee
06-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Welcome to the site;) I think that you and your son will have a wonderful experience with homeschooling, we are!
Jump in and ask anything you want up here, someone will know that answer!

rosesandcreme
06-14-2010, 08:09 PM
We moved down from Seattle about 3 years ago. We certainly don't miss the rain! :) Wish you the best of luck with your homeschooling experience.

Melissa541
06-14-2010, 08:25 PM
I've olyl recently found this site and love it! I hope you do, too. I can't say enough about how refreshing it is to read posts that don't advise me to "pray on it." :)

I wish you a fun info-gathering time & an even better start to your homeschooling.

Snoopy
06-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Welcome NaNa! (tthat's what my little brothers called me when they were babies!) It's exciting to hear that your son is excited about homeschooling too! I hope you find what you need here, be sure to read the old threads and don't hesitate to ask any questions :)

Melyssa
06-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Welcome NaNa! I'm quite a bit north of Seattle in Mill Creek. I wish I was a bit closer to downtown as it seems there is tons to do down there but it's a tad too far for me to drive with any kind of regularity.

Melyssa
06-16-2010, 05:04 PM
I just created a thread in the Washington Group for us Seattle area people to better connect in one spot. I thought it would be fun to create a meetup of some kind, like once a month or something, if we have enough people and interest. I just met another person from the area on another website and she is here also now but hasn't posted to the boards yet. I think we could maybe possibly have enough people for something like that?! Not sure. But if that would interest you or anyone reading this, go post.

NaNa
06-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks for all the welcoming, encouraging posts!

wuffers
06-24-2010, 12:48 AM
Hi NaNa- I totally understand how you feel about leaving the school community. I have a hard time with that too- we attended a small charter school- I'm on the board and led the PTO. I know the teachers and did lots of volunteer work. I've always thought about homeschooling and was getting the feeling that if I didn't try it out for a year, one day I would come to regret not giving it a go. So that is what we are doing, and once I made it official, I started to freak out and get all sentimental about school. I'm calming down and am going to stick with the plan, but those fears still creep in. We also live in a very religiously conservative town and there are tons of religious homeschoolers, which I will admit, is a pretty big turn-off for me. Anyhow, I hope you all have a wonderful year, and welcome to this community!

AnyaT
07-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi NaNa,
I've been homeschooling in the Redmond, WA area for the past 4 years. We've been going to homeschool centers in the school district to get enrichment classes, like ceramics and drama, which are great as are the teachers The downside is that a lot of the families that attend still feel the need to bring religion into the school and classroom. I'm very happy homeschooling but have found it a bit difficult to meet other secular homeschoolers. I've heard Seattle is a great place, but haven't yet found a community to connect into with there. Let me know if you have any questions. My kids also do K12 for a bunch of their curriculum. But it's also fun to come up with interesting projects to investigate and play with.