PDA

View Full Version : Holy Raindrops, Batman!

Wilma
06-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Since about 5 this morning we have been having rain of epic proportions. I am about ready to build an ark. My dog just went out after much coaxing and the promise of an umbrella. I just talked with a friend who was telling me her pool and pond are flooding. The water on my patio is about 2 inches deep, and it is not standing water. It is rushing from one end of the backyard into the street. My weather radio keeps going off announcing a flash flood warning (duh). The thunder and lightning are very impressive, even by Ok standards. but these storms are not "severe," just water laden. The birds keep chirping away during them.

camaro
06-14-2010, 10:19 AM
While we're not having epic single rains, we're having a record spring for precipitation. Most of SK has had more rain since April 1 than we would have all year. I think for our farm we're probably around 9-10" so far. We've been very dry for a few years so luckily it's mostly all soaking in but the ponds are definitely filling up and farmers are carrying chains in their tractors for the inevitable getting stuck while trying to get seeding finished! I'm a small farmer (grain production-wise anyway) with only about 90 acres to seed this year. I could do that in two or three days but it's taken me a month because of all the rain stalling field work. I'm thankful I'm not one of those guys with 5000 acres to do!

pandahoneybee
06-14-2010, 10:53 AM
we have had alot of rain too! The dogs freak out when it rains too hard but especially when it thunders. Schultz(14 year old mix) jumps up and down on the windows until we put him in the garage he feels safe in there or under a bed;)

But I love the rain it waters my flowers! Hope that you won't need a boat!

jessicalb
06-14-2010, 11:08 AM
I wish we were getting that much rain! Enjoy that exciting, wonderful weather! :)

amphibology29
06-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Stay high and dry! We sure could use a little of that rain over here when you're done with it!

mamareeb
06-14-2010, 11:32 AM
We're just north of Ann and the rain has definitely been epic. The kids think it's exciting and Sarah is marching around in her rain boots, waiting for the lightning to stop. Our swimming pool looks like one of those fancy infinity pools at beach resorts. Went out for a bit this morning, not realizing quite how bad it was...lots of cars stuck at intersections with water up to the windows. Felt very lucky to make it home. We're going to hunker down and make Rice Krispy treats :)

reversemigration
06-14-2010, 01:19 PM
We've been fortunate not to have had anything of epic proportions, but it has been jungle-like lately - steady rains and lots of heat. (I think it's all an attempt to keep more Buckeyes from migrating to your neck of the woods, Nathalie.) It cleared up just in time to walk over to the park for nature camp, so Mother Nature has been thoughtful lately.

Stay safe and dry, Ann!

hockeymom
06-14-2010, 02:29 PM
In New Brunswick, at least here on the coast, our seasons consist of snow (fall, winter and spring) and rain and fog (summer). We get very few dry days, although we were impressed with the 4 inches we got a couple days ago. Sunshine and warmth are rare, but I don't miss the humidity and heat of central Ohio (sorry Ben!).

Be safe out there, Oklahoma friends! (BTW: we have relatives outside OKC--any news on how that area is faring?)

Wilma
06-14-2010, 02:41 PM
I am in Edmond, just north of OKC. My dh works at Tinker AFB and couldn't make it into work. Many of the exits on I-35 were closed and a portion of his drive that takes about 15 minutes took over an hour. He eventually gave up and came home. The round trip took him over 2 hours. We did get a break for a while and I was able to get my oldest into her orthodontist appt and I got a run in, but it is supposed to hit again, Rebecca, did you hear that we are supposed to get up to 10 inches by the time this ends tonight? We've had about 6 so far.

My kids are making granola and cookies to pass the time. The weather is killing my diet.

wild_destiny
06-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Wow!! I saw this post earlier this morning and did not take it seriously. We had rain here too, (3 hours to the east of you), but it was just your ordinary thunderstorm, not the mess OKC is currently in. I guess we got the watered down version--or maybe that is what you got! LOL A second milder wave is currently passing over us and it prompted me to check the weather online, where I saw the stories about OKC and the flooding. There is video that shows a teenage girl holding on to fallen trees to keep from being swept away in the flood water. This is scary stuff!! Here is to Oklahoma (my home state): Oklahoma, where you can freeze in the winter and burn in the summer, yet still have the thrill of fighting for your life due to the tornadoes and flash floods!! :) Hope all you guys in the area are safe and sound--and that you stay that way.

P.S. "The weather is killing my diet." ... I like this excuse and if you don't mind am going to use it myself. I have used every other excuse in the book, but never thought to blame the weather. This site is turning out to be a gold mine of very useful everyday life info! :)

hockeymom
06-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Wow--scary stuff indeed. We'll try to get ahold of our relatives; they are in Tonkawa and Yukon, which I guess isn't too far from you, Ann. Hope you can hunker in, eat well (ha!), and stay safe!!

Snoopy
06-14-2010, 04:55 PM
I just checked the news for the first time today and the article was talking about Edmond and OKC and it looks bad. I hope you're all OK.

mamareeb
06-14-2010, 05:10 PM
It is STILL raining here in North Edmond! My husband got to work early this morning, taking twice as long as usual and in a round-about way. Now I'm wondering if he'll be able to make it home. The I-35 exits near us are closed and a few neighborhoods south of us sound impassable. But we are safe and dry, just a little extra water in the garage so far. I don't know exactly how much we've gotten, but Sarah's pool bucket is about 10 inches deep and it's overflowing! Crazy, crazy, crazy...

paganmomblog
06-14-2010, 05:14 PM
We here in WNC would love your rain. Seriously we get a 15 min storm at most and it makes it so humid (and we don't get humid in these parts).

StartingOver
06-14-2010, 07:51 PM
You can keep the rain. The last time we had a rain that good here in South Texas, it was in 1996. And the water bugs came in the house to get out of the water.

I went to a multi floor hotel. LOL

Stay safe !!

Busygoddess
06-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Wow! I love rain, but not in amounts like that. Hope you guys are all safe & dry.

Snoopy
06-14-2010, 09:55 PM
It is STILL raining here in North Edmond! My husband got to work early this morning, taking twice as long as usual and in a round-about way. Now I'm wondering if he'll be able to make it home. The I-35 exits near us are closed and a few neighborhoods south of us sound impassable. But we are safe and dry, just a little extra water in the garage so far. I don't know exactly how much we've gotten, but Sarah's pool bucket is about 10 inches deep and it's overflowing! Crazy, crazy, crazy... Rebecca, was your husband able to come home? Is your house still dry?

Ann, are you guys OK?

We need rain here badly so it's OK to send it on its way to Central Florida (just keep the tornadoes) if you'd like.

Shoe
06-14-2010, 10:36 PM
I didn't realize it was as bad as it is starting to sound as I read more and more of these posts. I hope everyone on this forum or with family in the affected areas is all right with no injuries or damage.

BPier12
06-14-2010, 11:00 PM
I finally sat down to read some weather reports and things look pretty scary out there in OK. I'm hoping that all is well for all of you there and that you and your families are safe. Let us know when you can that you are ok. {{hugs}}

mamareeb
06-15-2010, 08:03 AM
We all stayed safe and dry at my place. Jim managed to make it home by 7 last night. Water has started to recede, although when I went to bed last night there was thunder & lightning AGAIN. Looking forward to a more uneventful day. Thanks for all the concern and well wishes!

Wilma
06-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Our immediate area is fine. My parents called yesterday and said the national news was specifically mentioning Edmond. There were some places quite close that were under water but nothing here. Once it stopped raining and the storm drains could catch up things receded rather quickly. Yesterday morning Scott went by one exit on I35 and he said the area just off the exit ramp was filled completely with water. On his way home from work last night, it had drained and he realized it was at least 15 feet deep. I was just getting tired of listening to the thunder. It just seemed constant yesterday. Not really booming, just continuous rolling thunder. One nice thing is that it was only in the 60's yesterday. But it will be hot today and no sun to dry up the rain. Could be worse, my parents in Raleigh said it has been in the '90's there with extremely high humidity.

Snoopy
06-15-2010, 08:58 AM
So glad you're OK, I was worried!

hockeymom
06-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Glad everyone is okay and safe!

camaro
06-15-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm so glad to hear everyone's safe and sound. The TV news last night showed what it was like in Oklahoma City and it was certainly a scary sight.

BPier12
06-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks for letting us know that all is well!

Melyssa
06-15-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm in the Pacific Northwest, it rains almost every day. LOL It's mid June and we have yet to get a day near 80, most days it's 50's and 60's.

reversemigration
06-16-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm glad that you came through pretty much unscathed, Ann! It was amazing to hear some of the reports coming from your part of the country.

I think it may have been the same set of storms that came through here and destroyed Touchdown Jesus (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100615/NEWS01/306150004/Jesus-statue-destroyed-by-act-of-God).

Wilma
06-17-2010, 02:31 PM
It's a sign, LOL!:rolleyes: