PDA

View Full Version : first homeschool group meet and a little update

Deli76
06-06-2012, 11:47 PM
I wasnt sure what to expect. It was the first week after school let out. So only 2 other families showed. I was a bit disappointed, but after a while it was probably for the better. There were 2 teen girls and one 7 yr old boy. The boy and dd played very well. All the while I was talking to the mommies and got some great info. There are some more programs here that I didn't find on the internet. I am glad that there weren't too many children around, I don't know how dd would have taken it if it was too busy, as I want to ease her into it. There is another meet in 2 weeks, hopefully there will be a few more kids. All in all it was a good experience. I also learned that there is an educators library card, you can keep the books longer that the standard 3 weeks.
As I ease her into homeschooling, she did start a nature journal. The birdhouse we built has a new family, and there was a spider that pounced on a gnat. That excited her greatly! LOL! And hubby made a crack about how the ipad can help her with homeschooling! ( i was shocked but didnt want to show it lol) I don't want to get my hopes too high, but I will take what I can get!
And a little update on the education system here in Texas." The new STARR test is too easy or hard" is what the headlines say. A bit confusing to me. How ever they did say that students CAN pass it by answering LESS, yes...LESS, than half the questions correctly! I don't know if I miss read something...but since when has less than 50% mean you passed??? Is there a curve, a BIG curve, that I am unaware of? Is the education system that bad? I am glad ds has 2 years left. He decided to stay in ps. With dd, I have been blessed to the max to be able to stay home and be self employed. Now I have the time to see that she gets a great education and possibly home school her.
And if anyone who is considering homeschooling reading this, meet with a homeschool group. An educational and eye opening experience. I learned alot. And this website has tremendous support! Thank You All!

lynnibug
06-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Glad it went well:) We are looking for a group to join...Still haven't decided. Maybe your DH is coming around and will begin to be more supportive.
The STAAR test to me is a BIG joke and Not a funny one. There was no funding for support or teacher training. The test to me seemed thrown together. And we just have access as of now to the raw score. The actual score will not be available until October. Glad I decided to homeschool now :)

cupcakes0104
06-07-2012, 06:57 AM
Wasn't their approach with the STAAR to not let teachers know what is on it so that they could solve the problem of teaching to the test? Maybe as a result they had to make it easier.

Deli76
06-07-2012, 09:24 AM
the state said they made it easier at first to prepare them for the test as it gets harder. and help ease the teachers into "training" the students for the staar test. ill try to find the article. puzzling.
but i am glad about the meet. gave me an insight as to what i can expect, not to expect too much, ups and downs, and how to manage our schedule with my part time work.

jess
06-08-2012, 11:56 AM
And a little update on the education system here in Texas." The new STARR test is too easy or hard" is what the headlines say. A bit confusing to me. How ever they did say that students CAN pass it by answering LESS, yes...LESS, than half the questions correctly! I don't know if I miss read something...but since when has less than 50% mean you passed??? Is there a curve, a BIG curve, that I am unaware of? Is the education system that bad? I am glad ds has 2 years left. He decided to stay in ps. With dd, I have been blessed to the max to be able to stay home and be self employed. Now I have the time to see that she gets a great education and possibly home school her.
It all depends on the difficulty of the questions, doesn't it? If the test is structured so that a student of typical ability level is expected to get less than 50% right, then it makes sense that less than 50% is passing.

They may be trying to avoid the ceiling effect, where the test doesn't provide useful information about higher achieving students - eg. if the top 25% of students all get 100% on a test, it isn't providing any detailed info about those students' abilities.

dbmamaz
06-08-2012, 12:36 PM
my husband said in canada a 50% was passing. i think he liked that setup because he could really show off his superiority . . . but he says our tests are way too easy. its true, in order for most kids to get an 80%, the test cant include very many challenging questions . . . its a regurgitation test

AmyAce
06-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Not sure about the STARR, but many state tests are now standards-based. Students are put into categories like "meets standards" (passing), "exceeds standards," or "does not meet standards." Some tests may have more categories, but these tests are scored by comparing each student to target of success on particular skills.

Norm-referenced tests are the ones most of us grew up with. They are designed to compare students to one another. In these tests, falling into the 50th percentile means your score was higher than half of the testing population. So, in this kind of test, a 45th percentile score would still show a student performing approximately at grade level.

New tests require adjustments for teachers, students, and (for the newer tests which go beyond filling in bubbles) adjustments for the scorers as well. It is possible that the definition of success on the STARR will be loose until more is known about how the test works in real classrooms with real students.

I am currently in NYC, and homeschooled students here are required to take an achievement test and report scores to the district starting after the third grade. Thankfully, we won't be here that long!