PDA

View Full Version : Hello from MN

jennyito
06-13-2010, 09:02 PM
So happy to find this group. We just finished our first year of homeschooling and loved it!

I have three kids who are enjoying their summer break while I research all the new things we'll be learning next fall! I can hardly wait to start again.

My oldest two spent their early years in a public Montessori, and the oldest did one year of middle school before we finally made the decision to homeschool. We had a good experience in elementary with the girls, but not so good with my son. The middle school year was a wasted year for my oldest, so that prompted us to pull all three and give it a try this past year.

We used MN Virtual Academy for our first year (K12), but next year we will be on our own now that I feel like I can manage it. Our family loves to travel, so homeschooling suits our lifestyle very well.

Shoe
06-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Welcome to the site jennyito. I've got 13 and 11 year olds too, and am just finishing my first year of homeschooling as well. I look forward to getting to know you better. This site has been a great resource for me and the people are all friendly around here. Don't forget to check out the Groups (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group) page and join the MN group, as well as any others that fit your needs.

Cheers.

pandahoneybee
06-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Welcome to the group;) I also have a 13 year old! We had those types of problems in the 5th grade and thats why we pulled our boys out of public school. We just moved here from Champaign IL about 3 1/2 years ago, how far are you from there? We were about 1 1/2 south of Chicago ( i think)
Have a great week!

reversemigration
06-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Welcome to the site, Jenny! It's neat to see how everyone uses different approaches to homeschooling. I'd enjoy hearing more about your experiences as you transition from the virtual academy to a more eclectic style.

Snoopy
06-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Welcome to the group! Are you a native Japanese speaker? I wanted to be a translator (I'm French) and went to school to study English and Spanish but ended up moving here and getting married and having to find a job in a hurry. I never became a translator :( I had visited the school in Monterrey, CA and would have loved to have studied there though... what materials do you translate?

Noah also loves all things Star Wars and Legos and we just started French lessons this morning. (I didn't teach French to my kids and now I regret it...)

Looking forward to "seeing" you on the forums. Taking the summer to research everything is a great idea. Be sure to read a lot of the older threads on SHS, there's a ton of great info being discussed :)

BPier12
06-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Hi and welcome, Jenny! I am new to homeschooling and will start officially this fall with my son who is going on 13. He is also a Legos, Star Wars, sci-fi guy! Where are you in Minnesota? We lived in Duluth for seven years. It was beautiful, but ultimately way too much winter for us. We currently live in Florida, which has way too much summer. One of these days we'll get it just right! ;) I'm sure you will find this forum a great resource for information and support.

SunshineKris
06-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Welcome Jenny! I have a Legos-lovin' kid as well. He's 8 and, amazingly, saves up his allowance to buy the expensive Legos. His most prized purchase was his $100 spy truck. He's working on maybe a plane now.

jennyito
06-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Thank you for all the welcomes! Sounds like I've found a fun group!

hockeymom
06-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Welcome Jenny! We lived in St. Paul for about 7 years and really enjoyed our time there. MN is such a beautiful state! Congratulations on completing your first year of HS--we just pulled our 7 yo out of ps in late March and I am looking forward to gleaning the wisdom gained of an entire year of this adventure! Welcome again to this awesome and very informative community! :)

Topsy
06-14-2010, 09:31 PM
We lived in Duluth for seven years. It was beautiful, but ultimately way too much winter for us. We currently live in Florida, which has way too much summer. One of these days we'll get it just right! ;)

Umm...Beth...just FYI, that would probably be right here in Western North Carolina. I'm just sayin. ;) (Come for a visit...I'll prove it!!) :)

Snoopy
06-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Beth, my in-laws live near Topsy and you live kinda near me... road trip! lol. WNC is gorgeous.

BPier12
06-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Umm...Beth...just FYI, that would probably be right here in Western North Carolina. I'm just sayin. ;) (Come for a visit...I'll prove it!!) :)

DH and I toss around the idea of North Carolina as a possible place to retire so we may just end up there! :D

BPier12
06-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Beth, my in-laws live near Topsy and you live kinda near me... road trip! lol. WNC is gorgeous.

Name the time! Lol! I love road trips! ;)

jennyito
06-14-2010, 11:19 PM
NC would be nice. I grew up mostly in TX, so I think winter is way too long here. We usually spend a big chunk of time down south after we've had a couple months of 'real' winter up here. My kids like the snow, but after the holidays I'm ready for it all to be gone. And that just doesn't happen until March or April.