PDA

View Full Version : time of day?

paleomom
06-05-2012, 02:57 PM
I am starting to put together our schedule so I am ready when we start HSing in a few months, for now we are deschooling and we are moving in August. I was curious about what time of day everyone does "school". My daughter was in PS preschool this past year and always had a hard time with morning work and circle time in the morning. she wouldn't pay attention or participate just about everyday. I am wondering if it is just that she is not ready to work. I've noticed that she is a lot better if she gets outside to play before working. my Youngest is not a morning person either she is well evil in the morning, a lot like DH, just curious is anyone else has experienced this

ljswriter
06-05-2012, 03:25 PM
My DD is definitely not a morning person, either, and I get better focus out of her if she is allowed to play and "gear up" before we jump into schooling. That said, I've found we are apparently a big unusual among homeschoolers I know in that we begin lessons around 11 am (last year, it was noon). This also gives me time to myself prior to school time, which is great since I work swing shift and get home late.

We school from 11-2pm right now, including recess break. I know she'll need more time as she gets older, but it's working really well for both of us at this point. We don't do every subject every day (except reading/math), so that helps keep each day more compact. She learns better when there is less on her plate.

dbmamaz
06-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Flexible scheduling is one of best things about homeschooling! We start school between 10 and 11:30 am. Honestly I think it goes somewhat better when we are earlier, but some days I just can't get started

zcat
06-05-2012, 04:28 PM
We don't have a set time that we begin. We start whenever I am ready and dd seems ready. Sometimes that is after lunch or in the evening.
Do what works for your family. :)

paleomom
06-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks makes me feel like I am not alone. we will probably do crafts and play outside during the day and do "school" when DH is home to entertain the little one and he is my math and science person. He wants to teach the girls code and other stuff that I just do not understand nor do I really care about.

cupcakes0104
06-05-2012, 05:56 PM
My youngest eats like a bird and sometimes can't focus on school till she has had 2 meals in her (ie, breakfast and lunch). I try to start earlier but if it is looking like it won't work, I focus on my older daughter and then give my attention to the younger one after lunch. It is one of the advantages of homeschooling. There is no one right answer for how to plan each day.

farrarwilliams
06-05-2012, 06:53 PM
A good day for us starts at 7:30 or even earlier if I can drag myself out of bed. I think it's really all about doing what works for you. I've heard of families that homeschool in the evening or even families with teens that homeschool in the middle of the night. For now, as my kids are insufferable morning people... I try my best to go with it.

Stella M
06-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Morning is best for us. Dd14 starts around 8.30 and finishes up around 1.30ish.
Ds starts later in the morning and is finished around about the same time.

We don't do it that way to be like school :) We just all happen to do better learning/teaching in the AM.

Munchie33
06-05-2012, 10:13 PM
We start right after breakfast and work through to around lunch time.

But that's the thing about homeschooling. Instead of trying to force little ones into tricky hours, you can try a few things and see what works. And if she's losing focus or getting distracted? Go play outside! Do some nature studies - talk about the trees and look for ants or something. It's very handy to be able to do a quick refresh like this before coming back in to continue. As long as it gets learnt one way or another, it doesn't matter how or when.

theWeedyRoad
06-05-2012, 11:11 PM
We homeschool when we do.. some days I have trouble getting moving, some days the kids do.

In a perfect ;) homeschooling world, we'd be all done in the very early afternoon, but that's a rare day... especially this time of year when we all feel ready for summer vaca to start.

akislandmom
06-06-2012, 03:41 AM
We sleep till DD wakes up, which is usually between 8:30-9:30 sometimes as late as 10. Then we eat breakfast and get ready and then start. Usually by 10:30. We try to be finished by 12:30-1:00 and then lunch and the rest of the day is free play or any other plans we have. Then Thursdays are light, we only do 30 mins or so of school and then we head to the library before lunch.

Pawz4me
06-06-2012, 07:43 AM
We generally start around 8:30, take a generous lunch break and finish up around 2:00. That also includes some exercise time. We're pretty much morning people, although I've found that after lunch is the best time for DS to tackle math. The beauty of homeschooling is that you can use whatever schedule fits you and your kid(s).

Eccentricowls
06-06-2012, 03:35 PM
DS does better later in the day. My husband get home from work a little late, we eat diner later than the norm bed time is a little late. So, we are not morning people. That was one of the things I hated about taking him to PS preschool; the crying every morning!!! I felt bad taking him 5 day a week. We start school work after lunch.

Care
06-06-2012, 05:50 PM
We usually start somewhere in the 10:30-11:00 arena? We sleep until Monkey wakes up, which is usually around 7:30 or 8:00. Then, we laze around in bed having cuddles until 8:00 to 8:30 or so, take our pokey time getting downstairs, get dressed, get breakfast into the Monkey... and by then it's nearly 10. I check in on emails while Monkey eats, then we start off. We're usually done by noon for lunch, and that's with a scheduled 40m playtime in there. But, as we're slowly gearing up for kindy in the fall, that will change - we're adding additional subjects for 1x/week things, which will likely see us add on an afternoon block of about half an hour to an hour, so we'd have lunch at noon, quiet time (or silent reading, or do whatever the heck you want as long as you're not doing it at top volume, TYVM time) from 12:30-1:00, and then whatever the afternoon block of the day is from 1:00 to 1:30 or 2:00, depending on attention span, if it's one subject or two, and whether or not "go outside and run your wiggles out" counts as a "subject." :_lol:

paleomom
06-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks everyone it has really helped. we are comping out of a PS prek program that was 7:30-2 and my daughter loved it but it was not what we wanted for her. So we are going to start slow for now and do outside in the mornings because its already in the 90s here by 12 most days and then do "school" during nap time for my youngest.

kristinabrooke
06-10-2012, 11:18 AM
In my house we all work better after 11am so that is when we start with Math. She still takes a nap (she's 6) at 2 and we continue when she wakes up at 4:30.

Kristina

wife&mommy
06-13-2012, 10:13 AM
We usually don't start until around 2pm or so, it works for us.

lynne
06-13-2012, 10:49 AM
My older son is a morning person, wakes very early every day so we start fairly early. My younger one sleeps later, so we sometimes don't start until 11 or so.

LuvMyPink83
06-13-2012, 12:09 PM
In a perfect world I'd love to do schooly stuff between 10:00am-12:00pm. Some days that happens, most days it doesn't. So we usually get started after lunch if we decide to do structured learning that day.

Avalon
06-16-2012, 03:16 PM
My daughter isn't a morning person, but my son and I both are. My preference is to get school started around 9:30ish and be done by noon. We have a lot of activities and we have somewhere to go almost every afternoon, so we have to finish by lunchtime.

I tried letting my daughter do her work around suppertime or in the evening, but she never got much done, so I decided that she had to adapt to us and just get the work done in the morning. She could get up around 8:45ish, have breakfast, and then drink tea or hot chocolate with her math to help her perk up a bit. If she was extremely fuzzy, I would start with read-alouds so she had more time to pull herself together.

She's going to public school in the fall, so it'll just be my son and I. We'll probably be able to start around 8:30ish, and with just one kid, I think we'll be done by 11 most of the time. I feel like I need to rustle up some more kids to join us.

Pilgrim
06-16-2012, 07:42 PM
MWF, we school from 10-1 roughly and it works well. Not too early, but with plenty of afternoon left for activities, lessons (theater, art, music). TTh, we go to a reading tutor and don't get home until noon. It's very difficult to get them to concentrate after this. We bring some work with us, but still need to work hard on settling down to finish in the afternoon.