PDA

View Full Version : Is there a phosphate free dishwasher detergent

Wilma
06-13-2010, 07:05 PM
that actually cleans well and doesn't leave a film on my dishes and dishwasher? I have tried 7th generation and Method, both of which were highly rated. We do have extremely hard water here. My dishes have a white film or grit on them My stainless steel tub has a white film all over it. If it makes any difference, I have a Bosch dishwasher.

TIA

reversemigration
06-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Ann, I can't give personal experience (I'm the dishwasher in the house), but Consumer Reports rated Method as the best of the phosphate-free choices in their August 2009 review (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/august-2009/home-garden/dishwasher-detergent/overview/dish-detergent-ov.htm). You may need to be a CR member to see the actual ratings. I can share some numbers if it would be helpful. Other phosphate-free products which rated near Method were Biokleen, Ecover, and Trader Joe's.

You may find that there are new choices coming out soon, as there are 16 states which are prohibiting phosphate detergents starting July 1st...evidently the manufacturers are retooling to provide new products.

You definitely have my sympathies...I used to live in a hard water area and can remember the havoc it played on laundry and in the bathroom.

Sarbare0704
06-13-2010, 08:16 PM
We use the Shaklee dishwasher stuff and LOVE it!!! We use so much less and it cleans like nothing else we have tried. http://www.shaklee.net/members/shopNowProd/00295 not sure if that link will work because it is from my member site, but it is great stuff!
Heres the info from the site...

Dish Wash Automatic Concentrate (Powder)
2 lb.

There are some things you'll never have to do again. Like wash a dish before you put it in the dishwasher. Use earth-adverse chemicals to get it clean. Or fill up that little detergent cup to overflowing. Here's a patented little pouch of nope, don't have to.

Clean Credentials

* Natural
* Concentrated
* Biodegradable
* No phosphates
* No chlorine

PTPA provides an objective means to discover, appraise and promote new products designed to enrich family living.
Awards are presented to companies whose products are deemed exceptional by a knowledgeable and unbiased panel of experts.

Item: Dish Wash Automatic Concentrate (Powder)

Directions
Save water and energy and use the dishwasher only when it’s full. Use hot water (at least 140 F) to get things sparkling. Load the right way. Dirty surfaces should face spray jets. Don’t block spray to top and back. In normal water conditions, use 1 scoop, (2 tsp) to one dispenser cup. Note: In hard water, use 2 scoops, (4 tsp) to one dispenser cup. For really hard water, go ahead and fill them up.

Wilma
06-13-2010, 08:18 PM
My next option is Ecover, but I can't find it locally. It got good reviews at vitacost. We have a lot of lakes around here and I am trying to be responsible with the phosphates, but I am rapidly reaching the point where I need to be responsible to the budget. Finish is coming out with something and I read one review that it caused damage to the reviewer's dishwasher. My dishwasher is less than a year old and I don't want to hurt it. It actually cleaned quite well until I started using phosphate free detergent.

I am about to put in a vitacost order. I guess I'll order the ecover. I will probably get some finish to clean off the film from my dishes and dishwasher.

Wilma
06-13-2010, 08:20 PM
We use the Shaklee dishwasher stuff and LOVE it!!! We use so much less and it cleans like nothing else we have tried. http://www.shaklee.net/members/shopNowProd/00295 not sure if that link will work because it is from my member site, but it is great stuff!

Is there a way to get this if you are not a member? We did Melaleuca and I don't want to get into something like that again.

Sarbare0704
06-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Is there a way to get this if you are not a member? We did Melaleuca and I don't want to get into something like that again.

Yeah anyone can order! you just get cheaper prices if you are a member. it is 11.20 for non members and 8.20 for members. :) If you wanted it I could order it for you and just have it shipped to you :)

Wilma
06-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Yeah anyone can order! you just get cheaper prices if you are a member. it is 11.20 for non members and 8.20 for members. :) If you wanted it I could order it for you and just have it shipped to you :)

How hard is your water? This is a powder? If so , that is so much more economical than the tabs. Do you use a rinse agent? I just use vinegar, but I need to use something with my machine.

Snoopy
06-13-2010, 09:31 PM
My next option is Ecover, but I can't find it locally. It got good reviews at vitacost. We have a lot of lakes around here and I am trying to be responsible with the phosphates, but I am rapidly reaching the point where I need to be responsible to the budget. Finish is coming out with something and I read one review that it caused damage to the reviewer's dishwasher. My dishwasher is less than a year old and I don't want to hurt it. It actually cleaned quite well until I started using phosphate free detergent.

I am about to put in a vitacost order. I guess I'll order the ecover. I will probably get some finish to clean off the film from my dishes and dishwasher.

I have been using Ecover for a month and a half and I have hard water as well. I am a member of my friend's natural products co-op. We order from Frontier through her and Ecover is $4.75 a box of 25 tablets plus whatever your co-op charges you (she charges us only 10% co-op fee). It was on sale for 25% off in April and I wish I had bought more than 2 boxes but I didn't know if I would like it or not.

I did notice a white film on my glasses recently so I went to buy some Cascade Rinse Aid because I wanted clean glasses NOW and we only order from the co-op once a month. Several other members of the co-op told me that Ecover makes a rinsing aid as well. I just looked it up and it's $3.88 for 16 oz. I'm waiting for it to go on sale again and I'll stock up then. I'm not really all that green but I do try to be when it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg :)

Can you see if there's a co-op near you? My friend's co-op (Greensavings (http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/greensavings/)) is on Yahoo Groups. She ships to other states but after you have to pay for shipping, the prices are less advantageous (if you do apply for membership there, tell her Nathalie referred you); Maybe you can try to find a co-op near you? Are you near OKC? I found one such co-op there (http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/okcmetrocoop/) and here (http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/edmondokcoop/) is one for North OKC/Edmond.

HTH!

Shoe
06-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Ann,

When you find something that works, please post it, because I would be very interested in it. I too have very hard water and use a Bosch dishwasher, so your thoughts on products are quite relevant. Does vinegar work well as a rinse agent? I've also got a lot of iron in my water-any good suggestions to deal with that?

Wilma
06-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Don't know about the vinegar. I just ran out of the Jet Dry I bought at Sam's. I'll keep you posted on how it works. I don't have any advice on the iron. Sorry.

Wilma
06-13-2010, 10:22 PM
I found this (http://www.vitacost.com/Ecover-Automatic-Ecological-Dishwasher-Powder/?pd_section=pr#ProductReviews) at vitacost. I prefer the powder because it lasts longer.

Snoopy
06-13-2010, 11:12 PM
I found this (http://www.vitacost.com/Ecover-Automatic-Ecological-Dishwasher-Powder/?pd_section=pr#ProductReviews) at vitacost. I prefer the powder because it lasts longer.
We can get it for $4.85 (48 oz, regular price) through our co-op, so $3.64 (plus 10% co-op fee) when it's on 25% off sale. All the Frontier Co-ops order from the same catalog so the OK co-ops would have the same prices and sales if you can find one near you. Just trying to give you options :) I didn't know about the co-ops until my friend started hers. Thanks to her, I've been trying a lot more eco-friendly products because I feel that I'm not being price gouged for them (well, not as much, lol). Incidentally, I like the Seventh Generation Multi-Surface Cleaner to clean my sink but I can find it cheaper at SuperTarget when there is a printable coupon (and then I don't have to wait a month to get it).

Wilma
06-14-2010, 07:47 AM
One of our local homeschoolers is a go-to person for all sorts of co-ops and green living options. I'm actually on her yahoo group. I know she does Azure Standard. I'll check on the Frontier one.

Sarbare0704
06-14-2010, 11:36 AM
How hard is your water? This is a powder? If so , that is so much more economical than the tabs. Do you use a rinse agent? I just use vinegar, but I need to use something with my machine.

It is a powder. our water is not hard, but we use less then one scoop. It come with a scooper that is like a tablespoon or maybe less. I think they say for hard water to fill the cup. I have heard a lot of people need more when they start using it and after a while and it gets all the gunk out of your machine and off your dishes you can use less. We actually use a couple drops of the Shaklee Basic H mixed with water as our rinse agent. But we use the Basic H for just about everything around here! Also They have a money back guarantee even if you use the whole thing they will give you back your money if you are not satisfied.

Wilma
06-14-2010, 02:44 PM
How would that Basic H work mixed with vinegar? Is it an all purpose cleaner?

hockeymom
06-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Here's a recipe I"m going to try as soon as can get my hands on some Dr. Bronners (can't find it locally so I'll pick it up in the States--the rest of you should be able to find it easily):

1/2 c. liquid Castile soap (like Dr Bronners)
1/2 c. water
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
3 drops tea tree extract
1/4 c. white vinegar

Mix together and use 2 Tbs. per load. Use with vinegar as rinse agent for best results.

{Recipe courtesy of A Foothill Home Companion at www.foothillhomecompanion.blogspot.com}

Sarbare0704
06-14-2010, 02:54 PM
How would that Basic H work mixed with vinegar? Is it an all purpose cleaner?

Im not sure how it would work with vinegar. It is an all purpose cleaner/degreaser its super concentrated one bottle of the stuff will make a couple thousand bottles of cleaner. I know that water is kind of the "activator to its magic" though lol we use it for laundry and cloth diapers too!