PDA

View Full Version : Making your own self watering container for gardening

pandahoneybee
06-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Hi Everyone!

I have a friend (ok no jokes I do have friends!) who rents and she made this amazing veggie garden out of the tub self made and self watering containers like the link below. She made hers out of two of the tubs/totes and a pvc pipe but the concept is the same! AND she has an amazing haul of veggies already! Just wanted to share this because it is sooo cool and the thing that she spends the most money on is the soil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3INoLKg555w&feature=related
http://www.urbanorganicgardener.com/self-watering-containers/how-to-make-a-self-watering-container/

Sarbare0704
06-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing this! I do have a yard that I could put a garden in, in fact there were remnants of one when we moved in, but I have to be honest Im just lazy! I think I would have much better luck with something like this! I would love to grow our own food! And Im sure Lucy would love to help with the whole process!

pandahoneybee
06-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Yea I have sun only in the front yard and when I tried to do veggies last year the squirrels took off with the tomatoes! I am doing zucchini again this year and might do some self watering type containers for them. Of course since they are in the front yard I might try it with the large metal tubs like from Ace so I can spray paint them to make them look pretty!

firefly
06-13-2010, 06:29 PM
What a neat use for all those old totes! I wonder how many days you can go w/out watering?

pandahoneybee
06-13-2010, 08:09 PM
She said that she fills it up once a week, so far but her veggies were huge so she thought that she would start filling twice a week. Better than everyday!

Sarbare0704
06-14-2010, 11:43 AM
What a neat use for all those old totes! I wonder how many days you can go w/out watering?

I wish I had extra old totes! I have an addiction I think! My husband is convinced I buy one every time we go shopping those and the rolling drawer things :) He claims we could build another whole house out of all the totes... I beg to differ LOL