PDA

View Full Version : Homework and homeschooling?

jessicalb
06-13-2010, 10:11 AM
I was wondering, does anyone give their kids work to be completed later or on the weekend, kind of on their own, like a traditional school? Or use the weekends as catch-up time when the week has been too crazy to get everything done?

I suggested to my son that we work ahead a bit this weekend, as he is spending the next week on vacation, and he acted like I had asked him to climb Everest or something. He freaked! It occurred to me that if he was in school, he'd have work most weekends, and that maybe that's not such a terrible idea. Maybe some independent assignments would help him learn to help himself learn, manage his time well, take responsibility for his own work, etc.

What are your thoughts?

dbmamaz
06-13-2010, 10:19 AM
At times, during the week, I have said to my older son, Ok, i need you to get these 4 things done, but I'm going to let you stay home while I take your brother to (whatever). I know you have a hard time staying off electronics, so if you want, you can do electronics while I'm gone, with the understanding you will need to finish this later. It has worked better than I thought, with him taking the responsibility well and working past our usual school-over time. I havent wrapped it around to a weekend, tho. If you arent doing year-round schooling, and you have specific things you need to finish before you say school is 'over', you could play it that way, that doing a day of homework this weekend brings summer vacation a day early.

Mostly, I try to avoid doctors apts at all cost so I dont have crazy days like that. not that it works. :-O

pandahoneybee
06-13-2010, 10:53 AM
We do things on the weekends;) Mostly fun stuff Like art with Dad or nature hikes to journal whatever we see, scratch program, watch some history videos, stuff like that. But I do require both boys to do things on their own time, I give the assignment and they have to complete it on their own. Like this month I gave them the assignment of researching something that they like and they have to either come and get me if they need help or look thru books, etc to find the material (including a library trip to find books on the subjects) And my oldest has decided that he didn't want to complete assignments in math this past month but they are still due at the end of the month SO he is working on them everyday now;) I don't think that we will have that problem again!

Busygoddess
06-13-2010, 11:40 AM
We use weekends to catch up if the week got too hectic & we didn't finish everything. I also assign my oldest long-term assignments that require extra time during the week, time on weekends, time management, planning, etc. I don't really do 'homework' though. I know some people do. They end school at a certain time each day & anything that isn't finished is homework. I think it really just depends on the family. I try to keep most weekends free because that's when we get time with our extended family, time to relax, and time for the four of us to really be together.

Dana
06-13-2010, 11:44 AM
This weekend I assigned homework to my son (7 - third grade). He had to write a poem (his suggestion due to our grammar work) and he'll need to watch a video (hope we get to that later today).
I assign homework roughly once a month and it's never a lot (sometimes reviewing spelling words, sometimes writing something). I imagine I'll add in more homework as he gets older - more so he can take responsibility for some work.

StartingOver
06-13-2010, 01:20 PM
This weekend I assigned homework to my son (7 - third grade). He had to write a poem (his suggestion due to our grammar work) and he'll need to watch a video (hope we get to that later today).
I assign homework roughly once a month and it's never a lot (sometimes reviewing spelling words, sometimes writing something). I imagine I'll add in more homework as he gets older - more so he can take responsibility for some work.

We have always used weekends to catch up, or work ahead if we are going to take unexpect time off.

Sarbare0704
06-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Im not there yet as mine is only 4 but I do think that there are good skills to be learned by having some sort of project they are responsible for completing on their own.So I imagine I will try to do something that will get the kids working on things other then "school hours" to learn things like time management and working with deadlines and responsibility.

hockeymom
06-13-2010, 02:06 PM
We don't really have "school hours" and I don't see adding in the idea of homework. We are always doing something, even if it's just taking a mental break, and weekends are no exception. I guess for us I don't really see a difference in "life" and "school", although we don't do the core stuff on the weekends (math, LA, etc). Right now DS is helping Daddy repair the deck before he watches Germany play in the World Cup; I see those activities as more relevant and educational than doing "homework" just for the sake of doing it. Then again, he's only 7 and we work closely together on his studies; he's too young to be doing much independently yet (or maybe it's just him!).

jessicalb
06-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for all the perspectives! I think I am going to let it go for this weekend but start making some independent stuff a regular part of our school. :)

Shoe
06-13-2010, 09:42 PM
I don't plan to give my kids "homework" on the weekends or in the evenings...except for some literature reading assignments and studying for tests (since I do give them tests). That said, I have some expectations for how much they need to complete in a given day and week, and if they fall too far behind on it, they will be expected to "catch up" in the evening or weekends. I'm doing full days with the kids, which works out to about 30 hours a week (lunch time included), which is close enough to a full time work week for adults that I don't see that it is "fair" to make them do more work after that.

schwartzkari
06-14-2010, 08:42 AM
I don't give my daughter homework. We have a strict schedule during the week and I sit with her while she does all of her work. The weekends are our days off from school and we usually spend them reading, being lazy or doing something with family. I might consider giving her homework once she's in highschool.

Snoopy
06-14-2010, 09:41 AM
I gave homework to Noah every afternoon until earlier this year when I decided to give him a break. We only do formal schoolwork in the mornings and we do math first thing in the morning. I think it's important (and I read some study confirming that fact at some point) to revisit math in the afternoon to cement the learning from the morning. So I would give Noah a short math worksheet (usually Evan Moor's Daily Math Practice) and also have him study his spelling words back when we used spelling lists and quizzed him on them. He also had to study his math facts, and possibly read a book or finish something we hadn't finished that morning. Since my other kids were doing their p.s. homework at that time too, it worked well. But I stopped, as I said, to give him a break and because we were running lots of errands in the afternoons this past year. Well, I noticed that he has gotten much lazier about doing his regular schoolwork now. In his mind now, school ends at lunch, and if we try to do anything that he perceives as formally educational in the afternoon, he's not very enthusiastic about it.

This coming year our afternoons will be free for the most part. I plan on giving him a set lunch break (2 hours so he can eat, watch a movie and also have time to play and jump around) and then do school activities in the afternoon, but it'll be things like playing games together to reinforce what we've been doing, or having him do online activities so he doesn't see that as a chore. He does need the extra practice on math, especially.

This summer break just started for us. I was nice last week and let him off the hook for most of the week. He hasn't done math since last Monday morning, but I warned him that he would have to do a short math worksheet every morning (we barely used the additional Horizons worksheets that I had bought). So he's doing one right now and while it's very short and very easy, he's being reluctant and already telling me that he forgot his multiplication tables (in 1 week?!?) so I'm seeing more math practice in his immediate future. We have the Timez Attack PC game so I'll tell him he has to use it, it'll be less painful than sending him to his room with his multiplication facts. I remember spending the summer in my room studying my multiplication facts when I was 9. It was a crappy summer.

So for Noah, I don't see homework as busy, pointless work, I just see it as a different segment of his school day.