PDA

View Full Version : ............

clouise
05-30-2012, 08:18 AM

bcnlvr
05-30-2012, 08:20 AM
This year, mine both are doing track/field, gymnastics, and cross country. Through the rec department.

farrarwilliams
05-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Soccer, both fall and spring. That's all though. I wanted them to do baseball this spring, but they picked soccer - it's hard to compete with a team with your best buds, I think.

dbmamaz
05-30-2012, 09:45 AM
We do martial arts. My older one did baseball for a while, and my younger wants to try t-ball (but i think he's too old now? he'll be 9 in the fall . . plus season already started). not very athletic here.

May
05-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Soccer (spring and fall), t-ball in the spring, and swimming year round. I think next fall I'm going to try dance because he seems to have a bigger interest in it than sports.

JinxieFox
05-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Mine did Tae Kwon Do at the base Youth Center back in Korea. He's kind of slacked off here, though I keep encouraging him to get back into it. :)

inmom
05-30-2012, 11:33 AM
DD has played softball for 10 years (summer league). DS used to play baseball (summer league also), but has chosen to run instead during the last 3 years. We run together some mornings, and he does some 5K's with my dh and me.

Staysee34
05-30-2012, 11:34 AM
DD17 has played softball every spring since the age of 5. DD10 is not a "team" kind of player but loves riding her bike and swimming. DD8 is extremely athletic and will be doing dance/gymnastics and softball next year. We are a pretty active bunch but it's more on a family level than a team sport level.

Pawz4me
05-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Homeschooled DS plays Pony League baseball spring and fall. He's played every year since he was five or six and started in t-ball. Oldest DS (now in public school) runs cross country for the school team and plays golf with DH.

MrsLOLcat
05-30-2012, 02:45 PM
One in swimming year round (lessons and team) and I'm hopeful that the other will start yoga this fall.

hockeymom
05-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Soccer, basketball, hockey, cross country running, track and field, swimming, mountain bike racing. Some are through the rec department, some are regional leagues, some are through the college ( swimming). DS is pretty much always in at least one organized sport at all times.

PetVet
05-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Do your kids play any? What sort of league are they involved with?

Mine's a singleton, so he's in tonnes of sports, as that's where he gets to play with most of his friends. But mum's getting tired (and running out of both time and money ;)), so now that he has the basic skills for most sports, he's had to decide which ones he wants to play competitively and which he is going to play at a house league/local level.

No surprize, he's picked hockey and horses for his competitive sports and has decided that soccer, baseball, skiing, golfing, martial arts, and dirt biking (is that even a sport?) will be things he does 'for fun'... at least for now. I'm going to insist that he completes all his swimming levels so that he can get a job at the pool later on (best student job in the area) and I also think it's a crucial skill for him to have as we spend all summer at the lake.

So, one way or another, most of my life is spent in an arena! :D:

kewb22
05-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Both of mine are swimmers. They swim Sept. - March for a swim club team. March-June is Spring Training to stay in shape for summer swim team at the local pool. Aug: 2 weeks of swim camp to be ready for Sept. Lots of swimming.

In the past they have done track and field and my oldest did Karate for a number of years. But the last couple of years have been spent in the pool.

Little Brownelf
06-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Dd does ballet and a stretching/Pilates class. Ds participates in judo and recently started fencing.

Munchie33
06-02-2012, 04:10 AM
Mine are enrolled in a Martial Arts Academy and Circus classes (they are as awesome as you'd think, yes). As far as non-organised sports go, we also swim a few times a month and play ball sports (cricket, football, soccer, etc.) at the park every week.

ItoLina
06-02-2012, 02:44 PM
My older one is in soccer, gymnastics, and swimming lessons right now. My little one just started mommy and me gymnastics.

KristinK
06-02-2012, 09:20 PM
right now mine are only doing a swim/gym program - 30min in the gym doing various things, then 30min swim lessons. I really need something more though. I'd LOVE a track and field program, but there don't seem to be any. Actually what I'd really like is a kids trail-running group...

hockeymom
06-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Trail running (cross country) is huge in New England. My DS is doing it this spring (and again in the fall, after track and field) and loves, loves, loves it. I'd never seen it offered for kids before moving here, but all the villages and communities around us offer it and it's very popular. There is a lot of value in participating in a sport that reinforces competition with yourself (beating your own time), especially since he's so involved in other activities that stress working as a team (also very valuable).

Can you start something like a running group, Kristin?

Pilgrim
06-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Trail running sounds cool! I'll have to look into that. DS plays baseball, DD rides horses, and both do soccer each summer, though our travels this year means we'll miss it. They do karate weekly, too. I've tried to get DD into basketball, but she prefers the individual sports (she's done dance and gymnastics in the past). I think she'd really enjoy running. Last year, a HS mom had a running club, but she's not doing it now. We play tennis, which she likes, but there's no league for that outside school.

Tillmalo
06-03-2012, 04:14 PM
My DS takes a gymnastics class. We are getting ready to start swimming lessons next week. He would like to take some sort of martial arts class, but we'll save that for fall when swimming is finished.

cassiemc
06-05-2012, 09:38 PM
All 3 of ours have swam the last 2 years competitively. They have played lots of different sports and as a family we hike, bike, run, etc :)

Eccentricowls
06-21-2012, 02:19 PM
DS is starting hockey/ice skating lessons this summer. He has been talking about it for a loooooong time so we all are very excited about this. He did t-ball 2 years in a row and loved it. This year we moved across the country, and when I remembered to sign up it was too late and sign up was over. So maybe next year. I have been thinking about signing the Kiddos up for swimming lessons.

Jackielyn
06-30-2012, 03:52 AM
My boys played tackle football last year but my middle son wants to play soccer now and my oldest is going to try his hand at Brazilian Jui Jitsu. My daughter is in gymnastics and wants to give soccer a try also.

Heather Clausen
06-30-2012, 05:50 AM
My 2 kids do soccer in the spring and fall; my daughter takes horse back riding lessons when I can afford it and it's not too hot, (like right now). I'd like to get them into something else but as yet they don't seem to have any other interests. Track and field would be great but I haven't seen that offered by the rec. depts around here.

Heather Clausen
06-30-2012, 05:50 AM
P.S. I'd like to sign them up for MMR (mixed martial arts) but it's pretty $$.

crunchynerd
07-04-2012, 12:36 AM
We're about done with team sports, having realized that no, it's not much of a social experience (a bunch of kids who are strangers, meet on the field, don't get to know each other, then go home), and whether it's good or really bad, is luck of the draw as to which parent you get as a coach. It's disheartening to have a beginning kid at 5 or 6, looking and feeling clueless, amongst kids who have already been doing it for years, and the coaches who want their team to win rather than want to teach kids how to play, marginalize the beginners and exclude them from the game, and never actually help them learn it. Those are the bad coaches. Good ones are great, but in short supply.

We were doing soccer twice a week plus ballet twice a week, and it about killed us. The kids were begging to be let off, so they could actually play, and we could actually do anything at home while awake, besides rush frantically through chores and prepare to go somewhere, or rush frantically through chores and prepare to go to bed.

My daughter actually asked for no organized activities for at least "a couple of years" but I doubt that will hold. But for sports and physical activities, we will turn away from large team sports, in favor of sports they can take with them through life, team or no team, even as adults, such as cycling, running, climbing, dancing (other than classical ballet), skateboarding, martial arts. That way, they can find something they'd like to keep doing, when they are adults. That way, the investment for equipment, and the investment of their precious time, isn't in vain unless they go pro.