PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Florida

elkhollow
06-12-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm Ashley, homeschooling my 7 yo dd, who is on the autism spectrum, and my 4 yo ds. We are in the panhandle, watching the oil spill coverage and feeling sick about it. So glad to have found this group. We homeschooled for kindergarten then put our dd in school for first grade after she was diagnosed bc her doctor convinced me that she *needed* to be in school to learn how to get along in society. Long story short: he turned out to be not so bright about autism or about my daughter. After a year in school she's behind in math and picked up some unpleasant habits, including poor grammar, that I am now having to remediate. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you.

pandahoneybee
06-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Hi Ashley~
Welcome to the group! Yes my oldest picked up alot of bad habits and language from school. a**head was the one I didn't understand!(didn't know if I can say that up here? hehe) But after 3 years we are in a nice groove and the boys are doing well! I Hope that you find lots of good info on here and cant wait to get to know ya better;)

Oh yes we are so sick to see the oil in the gulf, we took an adventure of a lifetime (for us) and went on a 52 foot sailboat for 3 nights in the Keys a year ago and then went to the dophin and sea turtle hosipitals down there too. At the cottage we stayed at we even got to watch a sea turtle lay her eggs and then see some of the babies from a different mama hatch and race to the ocean! I have BOYCOTTED BP!

Ok enough of a rant;)

Shoe
06-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Welcome to the site, Ashley. I look forward to getting to know you better. I think you'll find there are a lot of good people and a lot of good ideas here.

Cheers.

Snoopy
06-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Hello and welcome from a fellow Floridian! We are in Central Florida, near Orlando. I'm taking the kids to Sanibel Island later on this month for our annual family trip and we're really hoping we won't have to cancel it.

We're glad to have you here! Don't forget to check out the Florida group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=26)if you haven't joined yet ;)

BPier12
06-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Greetings, Ashley, from another Floridian and welcome to this wonderful forum! We live on the Treasure Coast and are just starting our homeschooling adventure with our 12 year old son. I've found a lot of encouragement and information here and I hope that you will as well!

elkhollow
06-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

reversemigration
06-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Welcome, Ashley! I'm glad you found the forum, and hope that you'll share more of your experiences thus far. Also, I noticed from your sig that your husband is in the Air Force...you might be interested in the military homeschoolers (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=4) group.