PDA

View Full Version : He's such a big help!

camaro
06-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Yesterday I wanted to replace a few fence posts and of course had a flat tire on my post pounder (a thing you pull with a tractor that literally hammers posts into the ground). Mitchell asked if he could help me fix it so I loosened the bolts on the wheel a little and let him turn them out. When it was time to pull the wheel off he jacked it up the last little bit so we could pull it off and he rolled it up to the shop where we could fix it. Once we had the tube patched (which he helped pull out and push in after patching and a new tire put on he also put air into it to fill it up again. Then he rolled the wheel back out to the post pounder and I put the wheel in place and got the bolts started so that Mitchell could turn them in again. I made sure they were tight and then we were done. Great teamwork!

But what really put the icing on the cake was when we went in for lunch after that job, Mitchell made us each a ham sandwich. I just had to smile and think how much my little boy is growing up!

Snoopy
06-12-2010, 12:18 AM
That awesome, David! You are so good at taking him in hand and showing him how to do all that stuff... and good about trusting him with those tasks too.

Well, in my little corner of the world, Noah did his own laundry, folded and put this clothes away this morning. The end. Not as impressive but I don't have fence posts to replace, lol.

Seriously though, kudos to Mitchell! Soon you'll be able to relax and watch him do all the work around the farm AND the house :)

amphibology29
06-12-2010, 12:26 AM
Fantastic! It's great that you trust him to help you with those tasks; I know so many people who don't let their kids help until they're so old they don't want to help anymore.

Nathalie, don't feel too bad about the laundry. Nikko's at that age where he begs me to let him help with more tasks and then after about four minutes I have to go track him down to see what's distracted him.

hockeymom
06-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Wow--that's impressive David! You have your own parenting to thank for raising such a great boy (and your wife too, of course! :) )

We've just introduced the idea of basic chores around here. Usually he's really helpful but when it comes down to doing something every day (making his bed) it's a bit slower. He'd much prefer hard work like fixing fences!

You should feel proud!

Shoe
06-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Excellent David! They sure do grow up fast, don't they?

noddyknitter
06-12-2010, 10:04 AM
I think my son would JUMP at the idea of helping to fix the fence post digger. We do basic chores around here with much groaning. I have two children who HATE change, so when I ask them to perhaps pick up mid week I get statements like "But we NEVER have to pick up the house on Wednesdays..." to which my answer is "well, you aren't usually home on Wednesdays are you?"

I think like most kids, mine don't love household chores but love the ones outside where they could get good and dirty. They also love to help in the kitchen. My oldest made his first batch of waffles by himself from scratch last week. He did a great job and I found the places he might need some help like 1 3/4 cups means that he needs bot the 1 cup and the 1/4 cup and he needs to use 3 of the 1/4 measures.... He has cooked with me since he was 2, but I think he never actually put all the concepts together before.

reversemigration
06-12-2010, 10:25 AM
That is a rewarding feeling, David. You're a good dad, too, to let him help instead of groaning about how much longer it would take - I've heard that all too often when we're out and about.

Topsy
06-12-2010, 10:44 AM
That is SO great to hear!! My youngest would LOVE to come live with you for a little while and do that kind of work. He abhors household chores (of which there are always plenty), but ADORES any and all outside ones. I find myself CREATING things for him to do outside just because it is so good to see him being cooperative and helpful. ;)

Kudos to you for making "space" in your work time for your son. It is going to mean so much to him getting to do those kinds of things with "dad".

Sarbare0704
06-12-2010, 12:21 PM
That's awesome! My daughter loves to help but like most of you I get some resistance when it is household stuff. If we are all running around cleaning she is begging for something to do, but if we are just asking her to clean the playroom then it is a battle that takes days sometimes! But you better believe if dad is outside changing the oil mowing the lawn or something like that there is nothing else she would rather do! That's alright by me though I hope she can be an independent woman one day and wont ever think she needs to have a man around to do things, not that its a bad thing to have men around, but she is just as capable of doing these things too!

camaro
06-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Just to add another "great help" comment to my first, I thought I'd mention that all three boys were out this afternoon to help pick rocks on a small field. I drove the skidsteer and they threw them into the buck or rolled them on if they were too big to lift. They had lots of fun in the dirt and even collected a few small rocks for their collection. They do like helping in the house, too, though. They often help put away dishes and fold laundry. Cleaning rooms...well...that does require a bit more parental intervention! What is it about cleaning rooms?

Sara, I'm all for girls/women learning traditionally male jobs. I was proud of Carla when she got her license to drive a semi and she loves chatting with the other women truck drivers who come into the gas station where she works. My sister also earned some money when she was younger operating farm equipment on a couple of large farms, even large 4WD tractors. I'd also like to see more men doing more of the household/family jobs. There's more than a few dads around here who can't be bothered taking the kids to activities or doing house work. I'm hoping I'm teaching my three boys that it doesn't matter what work it is, it's still work that needs doing!

Sarbare0704
06-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Yes I agree I also hope that our son will not feel like one job is too grily or anything like that. My husband does help with whatever has to be done except for the few things that I have decided he just cannot handle like putting away baby clothes and things like that :p I do feel lucky to have a husband who is willing to lift a hand around the house for household chores and he works 60+hours a week so I can stay home with the kids.

pandahoneybee
06-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Wow David, do you need another teenage boy:)? Alex loves to do anything outside as well BUT just like Topsy's son hates to do the inside stuff. But I am making their future wives jobs easier, both boys know how to do laundry, cook simple meals,take care of the dogs and some other little jobs!

Great job to both of you!

Busygoddess
06-14-2010, 08:24 PM
That's awesome. I know so many parents who choose to just do it all on their own because it would take longer if they let the kids help. It's nice to know that there are other families out there that realize how important it is to let them help, so they can learn how to do it.

I also agree with girls learning to do the 'male' jobs (and boys learning to do 'feminine' jobs). I want both my kids to be independant. So, they're both learning to cook, clean, sew (at least basics), child care, gardening, basic car maintenance, woodworking, household maintenance, yard work, etc. The last time hubby was working on the car, Dea was out there helping. I was so proud when my little girl came back in all covered in grease. :)

You really are doing a wonderful thing by letting them help out with more in-depth/difficult jobs.

Snoopy
06-14-2010, 10:05 PM
But I am making their future wives jobs easier, both boys know how to do laundry, cook simple meals,take care of the dogs and some other little jobs!
And as the mother of a potential future wife, I would like to thank you for this on her behalf, lol.

hjdong
06-20-2010, 01:53 PM
That's so great! James loves to weed (and we have to weeds to fufill his desire). I tend to say he hates inside chores, but that's not exactly true. He cleans toilets without complaining and is great at helping cook. It's picking up he hates. I shouldn't complain. Visiting my mom, he weeded her backyard for her, taking down weeds taller than him. I was proud.