PDA

View Full Version : Barnes and Noble Summer Program - Free Book if Your Child Reads 8

LAR
05-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Yet another way to encourage reading this summer. Check out BN.com for info. Also, look into your local public library system for freebies. In the Tampa, Florida area, if a child logs 24 hours of reading this summer, he/she gets a free ticket to a Tampa Bay Rays baseball game. Happy summer reading!

Riceball_Mommy
05-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Yet another way to encourage reading this summer. Check out BN.com for info. Also, look into your local public library system for freebies. In the Tampa, Florida area, if a child logs 24 hours of reading this summer, he/she gets a free ticket to a Tampa Bay Rays baseball game. Happy summer reading!

That sounds much better than what our library does. It's just a series of stickers and then a small plastic toy.

LAR
05-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Last year the library system gave away tickets to Disney on Ice shows. Hmmm Makes you wonder how many children in Florida read during the summer????

MrsLOLcat
05-27-2012, 02:19 PM
We get a coupon book and something little... usually a blow-up something or other (crayon, whale, etc.), but apparently this year it's a small stuffed animal.

farrarwilliams
05-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Free donuts at our library. Very random.

We did the Read to Succeed program too, which gives you a free ticket to Six Flags. As that's an insane value for something my kids would do anyway, I recommend that one for sure, but it's during the school year - you redeem it in the summer.

SusanC
05-30-2012, 05:06 PM
We have two library systems within reach. One does coupons and small plastic toys. The other is similar but at the end of the summer they have a very complicated set of drawings for pretty good prizes. We do both, although separate reading has to be done for each one. I forgot about BN.com, thanks for the reminder! On top of those I was thinking about doing my own (WHY?? I don't know. I love reading, I guess.) I saw some good prize ideas somewhere I thought would be fun.

ETA: BN.com offers such a limited list of free books. Why do they do that?

farrarwilliams
05-30-2012, 06:44 PM
For a wider selection of books, see if your library gives our RIF books. Ours does every so often and there's always a large variety there - not like BN's paltry offerings.

FLDebbie
05-30-2012, 09:14 PM
I believe Books A Million also has a summer reading program. The one by us closed, but they did it last year.