PDA

View Full Version : son has decided to homeschool

Deli76
05-22-2012, 11:02 PM
my son heard me talking to dd about homeschooling. he says he wants to give it a try. i told him we can do a "trial" over the summer. that he has to prove to me he can do it and stick with it, not argue with me about it.( altho i knw he will) im a laid back parent. i let my kids go and be kids...with in reason. My son is going to be 17 in September. he missed the kinder deadline by 7 hours because of the day he was born. he started literally a year late. but it was to his benefit. he has done very well. he plays violin and guitar and messes around with other instruments. his grades are decent.
with him wanting to homeschool, how do i know it is for him? he is a typical teen boy, needs a nudge here and there. i think he is just sick and tired of the same daily grind. I was the same way. i hated the rat race. we switched schools every year ( we werent military, they just moved alot) i asked to be homeschooled and was told no. i ended up dropping out. i dont want my son to drop out. i would like to see him finish school. here in texas, from 3rd grade to 12th grade, the state will pay for homeschooling. i dont like the texas curriculum, maybe i can pick one that he likes and the state will pay for it and he can finish school and graduate with his class. how do i transition him? he took some AP classes. does anyone know of any ap curriculums? as for his music i know he can try out for the youth orchestra group here. my dd is gonna start home school and i know he can teach her an instrument. i know all of this is garbled, im kinda confused i guess. any info on testing the waters for him or a smooth transition will help. thanks!

dbmamaz
05-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Ok, here's the thing - high school isnt the best path for everyone. have you considered letting him do a year at community college instead of high school? (or two, if thats what he has left) For my daughter i worked with the district and got them to count classes and she still got a diploma. but two years at community college, you could have a 2-year degree. its a TOTALLY different atmosphere and for kids who are sick of school but good at academics, it can be a great relief. My daughter started k 2 days before turning 5, so she started college 2 weeks before turning 16 . . . she loved it.

another option is for both of you to read the teen liberation handbook (I think thats the name). but really, at that age, you need to figure out what he wants for himself from life, and figure out how to get him there. If he wants to go to college, community college gives him a head start. If he wants to try a trade, you could try to find someone to let him work with them unpaid, to learn more about the trade.

The important thing is to get him excited about his own life.

of course, my 16 yo isnt there - i like to blame his mental health issues, but of course, teens are challenging. But i've discussed plans with my kids and we've agreed, at least, to paths heading forward. But you are at that point of trying to hand the reins of his life over to him.

for summer? Well it depends what he really likes. For example, if he's in to baseball, you could look at the unit study on baseball at intellego unit studies. if he likes to read, pick out some books from the list of books every college bound teen should read, and have him read one every 2 weeks and write an essay on it. If he needs math practice, tell him to check out Khan Academy, which is free and has video lectures and interactive practice problems.

For me the test would be - is he willing to start taking responsibility if its in an area he likes or is motivated for. not 'can i get him to do boring homework assignments all summer long' cuz who wants that.

just my opinion lol

dbmamaz
05-23-2012, 02:52 PM
oh, and AP specifically, http://www.montereyinstitute.org/nroc/nrocdemos.html

but also http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm and other colleges also have free online classes.

this isnt just 'finishing high school' . . . its becoming educated . . . learning the things you want to know . . . and learning to love learning

Susan
05-24-2012, 11:00 PM
I wonder if he is responsible enough for self directed learning? Does he think for himself? Does he complete goals? Does he have self discipline? In our area there are online programs which are paid for by the school district. I know of a few teenagers who work a job and homeschool. They do chores and live at home but lead a fairly independent life with very little supervision.

Deli76
05-24-2012, 11:14 PM
he is not independant, im really trying to teach him, but someone from the other side is teaching him to be dependant. im slowly getting there with him. i finally got him behind the wheel this week (OH MY!!!) and he has expressed interest in a summer job.( i also told him i dont want him in the house all summer playing video games! ugh!) he is at that age where he wants that independance and hes finally expressing it because im not exactly pushing him, im asking him alot of questions that help him think about his possibilities and to not listen to other people. to do whats right for himself. i truly hate it when people interfere. we are getting there tho. hes made alot of progress. and im very happy! yay!
this is what he has told me....
he would like to homeschool so he can be in a more mature place, he sees high school as petty and immature and too much drama ( i saw some young "man" get out of his car yesterday arguing with some highschoolers making morions of come fight me, im gonna slit your throat). he doesnt like the orchestra because his orchestra teacher doesnt really work with him very well on the music and how its supposed to be played. ( i told him she is supposed to teach you how to play the piece, you already know how to play the instrument.) he would like to explore his music more. he would like to work a job. he wants to study abroad in norway and seattle. he would also like a vehicle. i told him if he wants those things he has to work and save the money because we dont have the money for these things. I also think the reward for his hardwork will boost his self esteem.
i checked out the links. thank you.lots of info!

Susan
05-25-2012, 06:34 PM
It sounds like you have your work cut out for you since he still needs to make progress on independence and you have interference. You are fortunate that the state will pay. If you have open lines of communication and are able to agree up front on some rules and what are the absolute deal-breakers, (as in, break this rule and it's back to public school,) it should work great. When my oldest son turned 17 I noticed that our relationship changed a lot. He still needed me for specific things but we needed to fine-tune the roles of parent and child and redefine our boundaries a little. We had a LOT of long heart to heart talks where I functioned as a sounding board as he worked through his personal philosophies of life, lol! I wish you luck. You may just be giving your son the tools he needs to reach his highest vision for himself.

Deli76
05-25-2012, 07:09 PM
thank you.
it is quite dificult when you have someone else teaching the opposite. especially when the opposite hinders a childs or young teens growth. anytime i have tried to teach him anything, he would come back the next week and say hes not allowed to because so n so says. Im a very open person...i dont hold back and i tell it like it is, and how its going to be. and ofcourse i realize that not every situation applies. so i tell him like my daddy always tell me...."who is THE ONLY person you can rely on?" (meaning himself) and he has been getting it. he is at that age where he is finding his own path. I just hope he choses the right path for him.

gypsylovecircus
06-01-2012, 08:32 AM
As a previous poster mentioned, check out the book The Teenage Liberation Handbook : How to drop out of school, get a real life and a real education.

I read this book when I was 19 (yeah, its a little dated, but still very good), and wished that I had found it when I was 16. It tells how to find your own interest and gear your education that way.