PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a favorite muffin recipe?

Marilyn
05-21-2012, 11:52 AM
We are looking for healthy muffin recipes. If you have a favorite and would like to share, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mud Hut Mama
05-22-2012, 02:28 AM
Ingredients: 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour, 1/2 c whole-wheat flour (or wheat bran), 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 2/3 c coarsely chopped walnuts, 1 egg, 3/4 c packed light brown sugar, 1 1/3 c mashed ripe bananas (2-3), 6 TBSP vegetable oil, 1 tsp vanilla. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease 12 muffin pan. Whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt & nutmeg together. Stir in walnuts. Whisk together in large bowl egg, sugar, bananas, vegetable oil & vanilla. Add flour mixture to wet mixture and mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix, the batter should not be smooth. Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean about 18 minutes. Let cool 2-3 minutes before removing from the pan. This is the original recipe but I never have walnuts or nutmeg so make it without them. I often cut some of the sugar and add an extra banana. Not sure how healthy it is because it does have a lot of sugar and white flour but at least there are some bananas and whole wheat flour too. Will be watching this thread as I would also love some new muffin recipes.

Tayonoss
05-22-2012, 08:24 AM
choc chip banana muffins

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt ( I dont always use, sometimes add an extra banana instead)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, oil, yogurt and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in bananas and chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

Munchie33
05-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Not sure how healthy this is, but you can always use low-fat cream etc.

1 cup thickened cream
1 cup self-raising flour
2 tbs sugar
1 cup tinned fruit (including the juice in the tin)

Mix the lot, using whatever fruit you like (we like tinned pineapple the most). If the tinned fruit has a lot of juice, you'll need to add a little more flour so the consistency of the mix is a bit more viscous.

Put in a greased/paper lined muffin tray and cook at 180'C (355F) for 20-25 minutes. Very customisable and simple for little kids to follow.

linseym
07-26-2012, 03:35 PM
My standard muffin recipe:

1 1/4 cup buckwheat flour (or use whole wheat flour)
1 1/4 cup rolled oats
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup un-sweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tblsp. olive oil (not extra virgin)
1 egg beaten

Directions: Combine wet ingredients (including sugar) in a bowl and sift dry (all but oats) into the wet.
Stir in oats.
I scoop 4oz. of the mixture into muffin liners, bake in a 400 degree oven for 16-20 min. (recipe makes 8 40z muffins)
Variations:
3/4 cup total of your choice of dried fruits & nuts (I like to use a combination of dried cranberries, diced apricots, dates and toasted and chopped walnuts)
My son also LOVES cooked and crumbled bacon with un-salted pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries
Dried pineapple (chopped up) shredded coconut, chopped macadamia nut
Dried Cherries and dark chocolate buttons
Double the amount of cinnamon and add either dried chopped apple or fresh diced apple (I prefer pink lady apples)

Bananna Almond Butter Muffins (Vegan)
1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
3/4 cup oat flour (I just pulse oats in a food processor)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
2/3 cup smooth almond butter
1 cup mashed ripe banana
3/4 cup vanilla almond milk curdled with 1 tsp. of white vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 Tblsp. ground flax seed shaken thoroughly with 1/4 cup of water
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

directions:
in a bowl combine dry ingredients and set aside. In another bowl whisk together wet ingredients. Carefully add dry to wet, stirring till just combined. (optional: sprinkle the top of the muffins with a little sliced almond) bake in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Makes about 10 4oz muffins.

I freeze my muffins on a cookie sheet, when they are completely frozen I toss them in a bag and stash them in the freezer. When you want one, just pull one out and microwave for about 20-30 seconds (depending on your microwave) and they are ready to go. I do this for my personal chef clients and they love the quick healthy on the go breakfast.

crunchynerd
09-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Technically, muffins, in order to be "healthy" according to mainstream ideas, wouldn't be recognizable for muffins, because they'd have to not have the fat and sugar that makes them yummy.
But I make muffins without any egg or dairy, with local fresh light Acadian buckwheat flour, and they come out like cake. 2 cups Acadian light buckwheat flour, 1 tbsp baking powder (I use homemade, from baking soda and cream of tartar), 1 tsp salt, 1/3 cup melted fat or oil of your choice, 1/2 cup sugar. Flavor as you like (vanilla, cocoa, 2 tbsp blackstrap molasses plus powdered ginger and ground allspice, for gingerbread muffins, or add blueberries or other berries rolled in flour before stirring in, etc) and bake in greased tins or cupcake papers at 400 degrees F. The 1/2 cup of sugar will result in something far less sweet than a cupcake (which muffins these days are basically cupcakes without icing, because they are sooooo sweet!)

That formula works for me, no eggs or dairy needed, though for us it's because of food allergies. I don't agree that eggs and/or dairy are inherently unhealthy, any more than I agree that all carbs, or even all grains including buckwheat, are inherently unhealthy. It just depends on your own particulars. Dairy and eggs are unhealthy for my allergic kids. Grains are unhealthy for some people, and apparently health-giving for others. Experts debate, but people have to make their own decisions.

farrarwilliams
09-16-2012, 08:23 AM
I like the pumpkin muffin recipes in Joy of Cooking and Sara Foster's Fresh Every Day and I usually sub whole wheat flour for half and cut a bit of the butter in the Joy of Cooking one. That's kind of healthy. A little.

Stella M
09-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Isn't it healthy if you just leave out the chocolate chips ? But then again, why would you do that ?

Marilyn
11-08-2012, 11:34 AM
I would like to thank everyone for their replies. I know it is very late in coming. Health problems with my mother sort of put me in a whirl wind for a time. We will be trying all of them one by one. Muffins are very big in our home! Thanks again!

Marilyn
Mother of 5; David, Tiffany, Daniel, Terry, and Martha