PDA

View Full Version : Which Jane Goodall book?

dbmamaz
05-16-2012, 03:10 PM
For science for the rest of the year, now that dissection class is over, we're thinking about having my son read a Jane Goodall book - anyone have a suggestion for one?

farrarwilliams
05-16-2012, 03:17 PM
I've read a few of her books, but In the Shadow of Man is the classic, I think. And it's quite readable. I've used bits of it with advanced middle schoolers before.

dbmamaz
05-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Have you read the one that has 30 years in the title? It looks like a longer look.

Im thinking really I should just go to the library and look around, really

farrarwilliams
05-16-2012, 05:03 PM
I don't think I've read that one - I have read A Reason for Hope and a couple others... It began to feel like she was just repeating herself. Honestly though, In the Shadow of Man is one of the great science classics. It's been on lists of the best science books ever, I think.

dbmamaz
05-16-2012, 05:56 PM
i ran out to the library without realizing they didnt have any of the books I wanted! i'll probably request a few for hold/transfer and let him choose, but i'll definitely put that at the top of the list - thanks

Lucypith
05-16-2012, 06:29 PM
ooooh, I second farrarwilliams reccomendation! I TA'd for a intro to physical anthro class where my prof (a primatologist) required In the Shadow of Man, and everyone loved it. I gobbled it up over a weekend. Filled to the brim with her meticulous observations, but reads like a novel. It truly is a classic text in primatology/anthropology, but it is far from dry. Highly recommended!

dbmamaz
05-16-2012, 07:38 PM
its funny, i was trying to remember when i read "gorillas in the mist' - but it might have been an athropology class!

Munchie33
05-16-2012, 08:54 PM
I second In the Shadow of Man (http://www.amazon.com/In-Shadow-Man-Jane-Goodall/dp/0547334168/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1). It's an excellent treatise on chimpanzees, and although it assumes no prior knowledge about the apes, it isn't at all boring to the chimp-familiar reader. It's a fairly short book (maybe standard novel length), and by the end of it you're more attached to the families of chimpanzees that she follows over the years than you are to most human characters in other books. Unexpectedly, it was one of the more emotional books I've read recently. She draws parallels between humans and chimpanzees, although tentative and hugely conservative (given that no-one had ever done so seriously before), that are hugely illustrative. It is both scientifically rigorous and emotionally fascinating. Is it available at the library? It really is a lovely and wonderful book.