PDA

View Full Version : Derby Day Party a Hit!

LAR
05-11-2012, 04:43 PM
A few weeks ago I added a post seeking ideas for a Derby Day party, and wanted to report back to you all. It was incredible! A small party - 25 people, including 8 kids. Nearly every guest dressed for the occasion. I still can't believe it: big floppy hats, sundresses, top hats, suits, suspenders. We decorated with real and silk red roses, derby day paper products, helium horse balloons, silver trays and serving bowls (all compliments of Goodwill). I stuck with a Kentucky food theme: burgoo stew; benedictine sandwiches; bourbon balls; pecan pie; mint juleps. I had special drinks and foods for the kiddos. We had everyone fill out a ballot for "win, place and show" and favorite hat. Prizes were awarded. It was pretty exciting having everyone hooting and hollering during the race - all of 2 minutes! I would definitely encourage others to give a Derby Day party a try next week. I have a feeling it will become an annual event! If you're on the west coast of Florida and want an invite next year, let me know!

hockeymom
05-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Sounds fun--great job! :)