PDA

View Full Version : Swimming lessons...

jessicalb
06-09-2010, 09:35 PM
I was watching Alex at his swimming lessons today, and I wondered, why isn't school more like this? There were toddlers in with tweens learning strokes and 8 year olds in the learning to put your face in class. There were smiles and engaged kids and excited, focused attitudes. The instructors worked with the kids who needed extra help while helping the kids who were farther along progress more as well. There were older kids, strong swimmers, involved with all the instructors, helping out and learning to teach the kids who were still learning.

It was a fantastic example of a healthy educational environment, so much fun to watch and be a part of, even on the periphery. Why isn't school more like that? And, I am so glad that we can make our home like that. :)

Busygoddess
06-09-2010, 10:19 PM
You know, I've thought about, after my kids have graduated & gone off to college, starting a school that's set up kind of like that. We would have plenty of curricula options, the classes would be according to ability instead of age, and we'd work with all learning styles, disabilities, etc. Students would progress at their own pace, not forced to conform to what the state BOE says they should do at each age. I would also aim to have some vocational studies for the older kids and see if we could find some local opportunities for internships & aprenticeships. I'd also love to incorporate some community service work into the curriculum.
I'm not sure if it would take off or not. I'd love to try it, though.

StartingOver
06-09-2010, 10:59 PM
You know, I've thought about, after my kids have graduated & gone off to college, starting a school that's set up kind of like that. We would have plenty of curricula options, the classes would be according to ability instead of age, and we'd work with all learning styles, disabilities, etc. Students would progress at their own pace, not forced to conform to what the state BOE says they should do at each age. I would also aim to have some vocational studies for the older kids and see if we could find some local opportunities for internships & aprenticeships. I'd also love to incorporate some community service work into the curriculum.
I'm not sure if it would take off or not. I'd love to try it, though.

When we were in the mountains of Montana, there was still a one room school house down the road from us. It was very much like you describe. It was multiaged, child paced learning, in classical school style ! I would have sent my children, if they would have had room !

SunshineKris
06-10-2010, 02:37 AM
My two older kids were in multi-age classes at their last school. It was grades K/1 and 2/3, but at least they got to be with a mix. It was a tiny school though (36 kids at their peak when we were there, grades K thru 8). I love the idea of having a school where you learn things based on ability. Those who read at a certain level are together, those who do math at a level are together, etc. I know Montessori sorta does this, with the mixed ages. But I don't know that the concept can be done "perfectly" so that is why I love the homeschooling idea. My kids can work at the level they are at, work faster or slower according to ability and want (though they can't go too slow out of laziness), and get the most out of the subject at hand. I think if you mix too many ages in a certain level, the ones who are older (and therefore not as advanced at a subject) may feel "stupid" and be upset. I don't know, maybe it depends on the kids and mix of ages. If it was kept to the smaller age ranges, like Montessori, it could work. Brandi, want a partner in your school?

jessicalb
06-10-2010, 08:50 AM
I think the really mixed age thing usually only works with kids who haven't been indoctrinated into the idea that there are specific ages to learn things. How it is working so well at our swimming lessons, I have no idea. I've never noticed so much age disparity before, but man is it fun to watch. :)

When I first became a single mom, I looked into Sudbury Schools. They are basically unschooling schools,just a building full of facilitators and cool stuff to do, with no real requirements for the kids. I would have loved to have put Alex in there instead of public school, but there aren't any where we live. :(