PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you go hmmmm

StartingOver
06-09-2010, 03:51 PM
I was informed today that I am not a homeschooler, because my son is only 3. He will be 4 the end of this month.

It doesn't matter that I have been teaching my children at home for 22 years. That my son has completed Pk 3 & Pk 4. That he is doing Kindergarten now.

I have been a homeschooling mom so long, and have 16 more years to go. LOL Maybe by then I will be ready to drop the title? Or maybe I will be a homeschooling grandma??

When did homeschooling only start at 5 and end at 18 ??

What has made you go hmmmmm lately ?

Sarbare0704
06-09-2010, 03:59 PM
I keep feeling like I am also about to get that response when I talk about Lucy homeschooling because she is only 4 also. So far no one has said anything, but maybe they are just dumb founded that I'm homeschooling so they have nothing more to say :p

hockeymom
06-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Okay...confession time. When my son was preschool age and even before, I would hear time and again about great we were at "homeschooling" him. I honestly didn't understand at the time how I could possibly be "homeschooling' him at such a young age; to me it was just PARENTING.

BUT...now that we have tested public school and have gotten a little experience with homeschooling-at-school-age, I am starting to realize what people meant at the time. Maybe I'm a little slow, but I didn't realize at the time that not everyone interacts with their kids the way that we did (and do), and the way that you clearly do with yours. That "homeschooling" isn't books and curriculum, but a way of life. It's in thinking back to those preschool days now that I realize that an interest-led life is natural to us, and that I become fully aware of what our lives had been missing in the short time he was in ps.

So maybe the people that are driving you crazy just don't quite understand what "homeschooling" really is all about. Can you cut us slow ones some slack? :)

Busygoddess
06-09-2010, 07:36 PM
6 months before we started homeschooling Dea, I didn't know that homeschooling was an option. I knew that people homeschooled many years ago, before public schools, and some after schools were in place if they didn't live close enough to a school. I had no idea, though, that people in this day & age still homeschooled. After I started homeschooling, I thought back to when it was just Dea & me and I was a single working mom, and I realized that I was homeschooling back then. We played fun games to teach her her letters & letter sounds, numbers, shapes, colors, etc. We watched educational shows, went for nature walks, visited the local museums, talked about everything, read together, visited the library regularly, and did fun hands-on activities. I was a big part of her learning to read, though her preschool teacher did help with that.
As hockeymom said, I just considered it parenting. It didn't occur to me that what I was doing was homeschooling or that most people weren't doing the same things with their kids. I guess I was part-time homeschooling while she was in preschool & Kinder. I was still doing educational stuff with her even though she was in school.
So, depending on who is saying you aren't homeschooling, they might just not completely understand homeschooling.

Sarbare0704
06-09-2010, 08:16 PM
I agree about how it feels just like your being a normal parent. That is how the decision for us to homeschool felt so natural for us it just feels like it is what you are supposed to do. Sometimes I wonder why so many people feel unqualified to teach their kids I think people underestimate their abilities. what it takes to make kids learn it doesn't have to be out of a book, but it come easier with hands on activities and everyday adventures.

StartingOver
06-09-2010, 08:26 PM
I totally understand new homeschoolers, or people who don't homeschool thinking that we don't teach our children till 5. But this is a homeschool mom of a few years . It just cracks me up. She was a teacher before this, and just started her son after a failed Kindergarten year. I am sure she will learn that she can't restrict, easily, a group to 5 - 18 year olds. The simple fact is that many homeschoolers have children of all ages. But I wished her luck !!

Most homeschoolers I know, don't hire baby sitters much. LOL

Sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression I was upset..... I was just confused by the restriction.

Sarbare0704
06-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Most homeschoolers I know, don't hire baby sitters much. LOL

What are these babysitters you speak of?

:p

StartingOver
06-09-2010, 08:39 PM
What are these babysitters you speak of?

:p

Hey when I go on a field trip, I could have any number of kids from 30 down to 2, or grandbabies from 12 to 16 months with me !! I AM the baby sitter !! ;-)

It is also the reason I have a Yukon XL, with three seats and 5 carseats installed !

Snoopy
06-09-2010, 08:55 PM
I always wonder if people are going to think that I'm exaggerating when I say that I've been homeschooling for 6 years since Noah is only 8 and a half. But I started staying home with him when he was 2.5 and we started immediately on letters, numbers, sounds as well as a lot of informal learning (animals, colors, etc.) so I HAVE been homeschooling him, even though at the time I didn't know that homeschooling even existed!

StartingOver
06-09-2010, 09:09 PM
I always wonder if people are going to think that I'm exaggerating when I say that I've been homeschooling for 6 years since Noah is only 8 and a half. But I started staying home with him when he was 2.5 and we started immediately on letters, numbers, sounds as well as a lot of informal learning (animals, colors, etc.) so I HAVE been homeschooling him, even though at the time I didn't know that homeschooling even existed!

I tell people I am a homeschooler from birth. But technically I was homeschooling my step children before I even had my first baby. But she was in on the fun from the very beginning. She homeschooled from a sling until she could sit in a highchair, and progressed to a booster, etc. She had to be kept busy while her big sisters were schooling!

It has been so long for me, it is just what I do, all the time. 24 - 7 - 365.

Busygoddess
06-09-2010, 09:32 PM

Like I said, I've technically been homeschooling Dea since birth (even though it was only part-time for a few years), and I had no idea that's what I was doing until after I pulled her from ps. Jay was a preemie & stayed in the hospital for 2 months before he came home, so he didn't become a part of our learning lifestyle at home until he was a few months old. I guess some of us were kind of meant to be homeschoolers. So many of us were doing it without really knowing that's what we were doing & just saw it as being a good parent.

schwartzkari
06-09-2010, 11:40 PM
When I took my daughter to her pediatrician for her 5 year check up, he asked what elementary school she was going to attend. I said "We homeschool." and he said "oh, you mean you intend to homeschool?" I said "no, we ARE homeschooling and have been since she was 3!" He said "well, it doesn't count until she's 6." I was very offended!

Busygoddess
06-10-2010, 12:11 AM
When I took my daughter to her pediatrician for her 5 year check up, he asked what elementary school she was going to attend. I said "We homeschool." and he said "oh, you mean you intend to homeschool?" I said "no, we ARE homeschooling and have been since she was 3!" He said "well, it doesn't count until she's 6." I was very offended!

I would be looking for another Dr. I've been a bit spoiled when it comes to Drs, though, so that may just be me. The kids' pediatrician, every therapist Dea has had, and Dea's Psychiatrist are all very supportive of us homeschooling. We've even been told by more than one of them that it's a good thing we homeschool, because the public school would be too detrimental to them. I don't think I would deal with a Dr who said something like that. I know it's not exactly anti-homeschool, but it shows a definite lack of understanding about homeschooling. I've had to educate enough medical professionals about a medical condition I have, I don't want to have to educate them about homeschooling, too.

chinnymom
06-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Gosh, I have guess I been homeschooling since the kids were born. I talked to them, read to them, sang to them, etc. I guess I just kept on going. It is so interesting that mothers don't see all the work that they do before they send them off to school is teaching!

StartingOver
06-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Oh I wouldln't have been able to hold my tongue. I love my pediatrician, he supports homeschooling.

StartingOver
06-10-2010, 09:38 AM
I live in an area where most of the nmothers don't teach their children before sending them to school. The local school districts are pushing for full time kindergarten.

jessicalb
06-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Jana, most of our schools in Arizona have full day kindergarten. Five is just so little. :(

schwartzkari
06-10-2010, 09:47 AM
I would be looking for another Dr. I've been a bit spoiled when it comes to Drs, though, so that may just be me. The kids' pediatrician, every therapist Dea has had, and Dea's Psychiatrist are all very supportive of us homeschooling. We've even been told by more than one of them that it's a good thing we homeschool, because the public school would be too detrimental to them. I don't think I would deal with a Dr who said something like that. I know it's not exactly anti-homeschool, but it shows a definite lack of understanding about homeschooling. I've had to educate enough medical professionals about a medical condition I have, I don't want to have to educate them about homeschooling, too.

I do like our pediatrician, he's been really great with the kids. At another appointment we had, he started talking about homeschooling and how great he thinks it is, but based on his comment about our work not counting until my daughter is 6, you are definately right: he lacks an understanding of homeschooling.

Oh, and I hear you about having to educate doctors about medical conditions...I went thru some medical complications while I was pregnant with my son. I pretty much did everything but write my own prescription. And believe me, I would have if I could have! lol.

schwartzkari
06-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Jana, most of our schools in Arizona have full day kindergarten. Five is just so little. :(

I agree! I can't imagine sending my daughter to full day school. We do our lessons in 15 minute increments because she can barely sit still (she is always telling me she needs to DANCE! lol) I just know that if I sent her to public school, she'd automatically be labeled ADD. Also, she still takes a nap during the day. I think she would be completely overwhelmed by attending school for 7 hours each day.

StartingOver
06-10-2010, 10:17 AM
I agree! I can't imagine sending my daughter to full day school. We do our lessons in 15 minute increments because she can barely sit still (she is always telling me she needs to DANCE! lol) I just know that if I sent her to public school, she'd automatically be labeled ADD. Also, she still takes a nap during the day. I think she would be completely overwhelmed by attending school for 7 hours each day.

I know they would try to make me medicate my son. My ped says 1 in 5 children in our school district is medicated, of course he only has 1 in 20 of his patients medicated. He requires a lot more, to write that script !

camaro
06-10-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm curious about the full-day Kindergarten comments. Our little rural school has always been full-day but scheduled every second school day. When I was in K in 76-77 it was full-day. We did have a naptime, though. When Mitchell was in Kindergarten 07-08 it was full day without naps! But again that was every second school day. I suspect it has something to do with a lot of kids are farm kids with a bus ride in the morning and afternoon and nothing in between unless the parents would drive in from way out in the country.

StartingOver
06-10-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm curious about the full-day Kindergarten comments. Our little rural school has always been full-day but scheduled every second school day. When I was in K in 76-77 it was full-day. We did have a naptime, though. When Mitchell was in Kindergarten 07-08 it was full day without naps! But again that was every second school day. I suspect it has something to do with a lot of kids are farm kids with a bus ride in the morning and afternoon and nothing in between unless the parents would drive in from way out in the country.

When I was young it was the parents decisiion to send them to kindergarten or not ( I went to full time PreK for 3 year olds, and for 4 year olds. My mom said I was a Kindergarten dropout, I was sick of school, and let her know LOL ). The powers that be, want to make it mandatory. I don't think all 5 year olds are ready for full time kindergarten. For me it is more about parent choice.

Shoe
06-10-2010, 10:51 AM

David, when I lived in Thunder Bay, they had recently switched from a half day everyday, to a full day every second day for kindergarten. The reason was to save money on the cost of busing and improve the school board budget.

jessicalb
06-10-2010, 11:39 AM
I know they would try to make me medicate my son. My ped says 1 in 5 children in our school district is medicated, of course he only has 1 in 20 of his patients medicated. He requires a lot more, to write that script !

Yes! They wanted Alex evaluated, so I did it. After the "doctor" spoke with me for an hour, she said Alex had ADHD. Yes, after talking to ME for ONE HOUR she diagnosed ALEX with ADHD. I asked for information on the short and long term effects of the meds before moving forward, and she gave me slick advertisements from the med companies. No suggestions for any kind of behavior modification or coping strategies, just straight to drugs. We never filled the prescription.

Interestingly, immediately after pulling him from school, his issues faded to the background. He is still a tough kid in some ways, still emotional and scatterbrained and full of energy, but the things we were really struggling with improved significantly when school was removed from his day. :)

jessicalb
06-10-2010, 11:42 AM

When I was in kindy, 81-82, it was half day every day. My brother's kindy was the same way 5 years later. When Alex started school in 2003, almost every school was half day free, full day pay. All the local politicians were pushing for free all-day kindy and that all got passed. Now that AZ is facing serious budget problems, they are trying to take away full day kindy and everyone is freaking out as if without it the children won't learn. It's pretty ludicrous.

StartingOver
06-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Yes! They wanted Alex evaluated, so I did it. After the "doctor" spoke with me for an hour, she said Alex had ADHD. Yes, after talking to ME for ONE HOUR she diagnosed ALEX with ADHD. I asked for information on the short and long term effects of the meds before moving forward, and she gave me slick advertisements from the med companies. No suggestions for any kind of behavior modification or coping strategies, just straight to drugs. We never filled the prescription.

Interestingly, immediately after pulling him from school, his issues faded to the background. He is still a tough kid in some ways, still emotional and scatterbrained and full of energy, but the things we were really struggling with improved significantly when school was removed from his day. :)

Quince and his big brother Bobby ( now 18 ) were both forever in perpetual motion. Bobby would do his school work while handing upside down from the swing set, while swinging back and forth. Or sitting on a bouncy ball, while bouncing between writing. Or jumping in the trampoline. He just got info better if he could move, if he was made to sit still he was a mess. LOL He outgrew it by the age of 8, and I am betting Quince will to. One of the reasons I am glad I homeschool, for sure ! My boys can be boys ! Bobby was always ahead of the game, and so is Quince so no harm was done !

hockeymom
06-10-2010, 12:55 PM
It amazes me that we can see statistics like "1 in 5 kids is medicated" and yet the general public remains loathe to change anything. Given that virtually none of us were labeled as kids and forced onto medications, how can we (collectively) insist that it must be our kids, but not the system, that is broken?

As a side note, I've noticed that since we pulled our son out of ps this spring, all the moms of his friends have confided to me their frustrations with the ps system here. One mom was almost in tears when the teacher made her believe her son might not pass grade 1 (!) because of reading (in which he is actually quite strong--I've watched him and listened), another is infuriated that the teacher won't help her son with math and actually tells him that "he's not getting it". She blames their parenting style--despite that they are very involved, very intentional parents. Ugh! This was my son's teacher--the best grade 1 teacher at the school. I feel fortunate the the few people I know here are supportive and even envious that we took matters into our own hands, but I'm sad for them that they are afraid to speak up about the issues in the school.

Busygoddess
06-10-2010, 01:58 PM
On the full day kindergarten - When I was in Kinder it was full day, no naps. I never went to preschool. I went to college. My mom was taking classes at the local community college, and she would take me with her. I remember sitting there, snacking on dry Cheerios & drawing pictures during the lectures. I had no problem with full day Kinder, except that I found school boring. I also had no problem with the fact that Kinder was full day when I sent Dea to Kinder in ps, after attending full day preschool. I can see how full day may be too much for some, though.

On ADHD - I think that ADHD is overdiagnosed & over medicated. One of our favorite things about Dea's Psychiatrist is that she wants to prescribe as little medication as is needed. She doesn't automatically prescribe ADHD meds, only if they are actually needed. Plus, in order to continue on the meds, the child has to be in therapy learning how to deal with their condition (behavior modification, coping strategies, etc.). While some need to be on meds for life, some only need meds for a short time, and some don't need meds at all. I've never been on meds for my ADHD. My mom refused to acknowledge the possibility that I had it, so I had to learn to deal with it on my own. By the time I graduated & could go see a Dr myself, I didn't need the meds or therapy because I had already taught myself to not only deal with my ADHD, but also to make my ADHD work for me. We're hoping to be able to take Dea off her meds in a few years. She needs to be on them right now, though.

StartingOver
06-10-2010, 02:37 PM
It amazes me that we can see statistics like "1 in 5 kids is medicated" and yet the general public remains loathe to change anything. Given that virtually none of us were labeled as kids and forced onto medications, how can we (collectively) insist that it must be our kids, but not the system, that is broken?

In my opinion is is irreversably broken. I can't only speak to what I know. When I was in school we had 3 recesses, we played games like around the world - and other movement games ( I know it was to wear us out LOL ), we had PE every day. Teachers knew that little children needed to be up and moving, that we needed to burn energy so that we could sit down to work.

I think that the doctors & schools are over medicating children. I think it is much to easy to put these labels on active kids. I go into my grandbabies classrooms now, or my nieces and nephews and all the kids just sit. They only have one recess a day, 15 minutes after lunch. Our local school district has done away with PE, there are pay for after school activities now. Then I hear my own ped in my small town say that 1 in 5 is medicated. It amazes me !

My daughter would have been the only one in my opinion that wouldn't have been medicated. My youngest could fit into that catagory though ??

I know for a fact that not all the children for which these medications are prescribed for, are even taking them. I know of parents who take the medication for personal use.
My ( estranged by my choice ) own sister is one of them, she has two of her daughters on meds, but neither takes them. It is also a source of extra money for her, as others will pay for the pills.

StartingOver
06-10-2010, 02:40 PM
On the full day kindergarten - When I was in Kinder it was full day, no naps. I never went to preschool. I went to college. My mom was taking classes at the local community college, and she would take me with her. I remember sitting there, snacking on dry Cheerios & drawing pictures during the lectures. I had no problem with full day Kinder, except that I found school boring. I also had no problem with the fact that Kinder was full day when I sent Dea to Kinder in ps, after attending full day preschool. I can see how full day may be too much for some, though.

On ADHD - I think that ADHD is overdiagnosed & over medicated. One of our favorite things about Dea's Psychiatrist is that she wants to prescribe as little medication as is needed. She doesn't automatically prescribe ADHD meds, only if they are actually needed. Plus, in order to continue on the meds, the child has to be in therapy learning how to deal with their condition (behavior modification, coping strategies, etc.). While some need to be on meds for life, some only need meds for a short time, and some don't need meds at all. I've never been on meds for my ADHD. My mom refused to acknowledge the possibility that I had it, so I had to learn to deal with it on my own. By the time I graduated & could go see a Dr myself, I didn't need the meds or therapy because I had already taught myself to not only deal with my ADHD, but also to make my ADHD work for me. We're hoping to be able to take Dea off her meds in a few years. She needs to be on them right now, though.

I have one nephew who truly needs to be medicated. He can't focus on anything for even a few moments. He is an adult now, and still takes meds.

dbmamaz
06-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Back to the home schooling before preschool - i think the point is, school is OPTIONAL before first grade, so you arent 'technically' homeschooling until you are keeping your child out of a school with mandatory enrollment. I also remembered, after reading this, that I had read john holt learning all the time when my youngest was under 1, and it did shape my ideas, I guess.

Riceball_Mommy
06-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Here school is mandatory starting Kindergarten, so I have heard the comment once or twice of "Oh well next year she'll have to go to school."
I think a few people really, at least at first and some still now, weren't taking our decision seriously. Those people are probably expecting us to start talking about running over to the school for Kindergarten enrollment in the next few months.

StartingOver
06-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Here school is mandatory starting Kindergarten, so I have heard the comment once or twice of "Oh well next year she'll have to go to school."
I think a few people really, at least at first and some still now, weren't taking our decision seriously. Those people are probably expecting us to start talking about running over to the school for Kindergarten enrollment in the next few months.

LOL I have gotten that one before.

"No, they will homeschool, that means I will teach them at home ! "

paganmomblog
06-11-2010, 07:25 PM
I have to say I hate how kids are so heavily medicated these days. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten ugly looks from people because on the rare occasion my kids get sick I look for an all natural way to help them get through it instead of pumping them with synthetics. I don't knock others for not using my methods so it irritates me when they do so to me. I do have a child that loses focus easily. She requires a lot of reigning in. I have always feared someone would tell me she is ADHD. I don't consider her anything but who she is and I can't stand the idea of medicating her for it. So with that respect I am glad we are homeschooling now so that we can help her learn to focus (well as much as possible anyway).

StartingOver
06-11-2010, 08:31 PM
I have to say I hate how kids are so heavily medicated these days. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten ugly looks from people because on the rare occasion my kids get sick I look for an all natural way to help them get through it instead of pumping them with synthetics. I don't knock others for not using my methods so it irritates me when they do so to me. I do have a child that loses focus easily. She requires a lot of reigning in. I have always feared someone would tell me she is ADHD. I don't consider her anything but who she is and I can't stand the idea of medicating her for it. So with that respect I am glad we are homeschooling now so that we can help her learn to focus (well as much as possible anyway).

HUGS !!

I will say that I am not Wiccan, but I love the Wiccan rede ! I strive to live by it. But I am imperfect.

An it harm none, do what ye will !

paganmomblog
06-11-2010, 08:34 PM
But I am imperfect.

he he he aren't we all?

StartingOver
06-11-2010, 08:51 PM
he he he aren't we all?

I certainly hope so !!!!!!!! ;-)