PDA

View Full Version : New to Homeschooling from IL near St. Louis

kcanders
06-09-2010, 01:05 PM
My name is Krish and we are going to start homeschooling this year. We live in IL about 20 minutes from St. Louis. I have a son who will be 11 next month who is going into 6th grade, a 7 1/2 year old daughter going into 2nd grade, and a 3 month old baby boy. I have thought about homeschooling in the past, but this year we are going to try it.

My older kids have gone to a montessori school for 7 and 5 years and for the most part it was an amazing experience. We had problems my son's 3rd grade year. He has some learning disabilities and can be defiant when asked to do things that he sees as too hard or that he doesn't think he can do. He doesn't want to do something that he will fail at and that will make him feel stupid, so he refuses. Well there were problems with the teacher that year, and basically he was ignored for most of the year as long as he kept busy quietly doing work. He loved the "stamp game" which is a long division lesson, so he did that all year. He refused other lessons and they didn't make him do them, so most of the year was wasted. We almost didn't go back for his 4th grade year, but we had heard amazing things about the 4-6 grade teacher. Everyone said she was the best teacher their children had ever had. High school and college kids who had been in her class in the past also gave her great reviews...she was the best teacher they had ever had. Our concern was she had just been diagnosed with breast cancer. After meeting with her and talking about how much time her treatments would take her from the classroom and talking about our concerns with our son being behind, we decided to send him back. 4th grade was an amazing year. He made huge leaps and was so happy. She really respected the kids and he was willing to do anything for her. This year her cancer came back and on Christmas she passed away. It was incredibly devastating for all of us. The only positive thing was that the teacher they hired to replace her was the same women we hired to tutor our son when he was in third grade. So we thought it was going to be ok. Before school was out for the summer we found out the new teacher will be taking next year off to do her Montessori training, so she won't be there. Since he is still a little behind (the second half of the school year wasn't terrible productive with a class of grieving 4th and 5th graders) have decided to homeschool for the coming year.

We have decided to homeschool our daughter too, because of social issues she was having. Mostly she would chat and play around instead of getting her work done. Some of girls in class were also into all things sexy and I got tired of my 7 year old telling me she couldn't wear an outfit because she didn't look hot. Also the kids would both love to be home with their baby brother, so hopefully it will work out.

Well, that was longer than I intended. I am excited to get to know everyone. I'm sure I am going to need some support in the coming year. I'm glad I found this site.

Krish

Snoopy
06-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Welcome, Krish!

What a terrible experience your son must have gone through when his beloved teacher passed away. I remember that in 7th grade my English teacher was diagnosed with a brain tumor and was out for half the year. It was only English (I'm French so it was a foreign language class for me) but it was very stressful. Thankfully he survived and came back to teach the following year but we had subs the rest of the year in English and didn't do much at all because of the lack of continuity. I can only imagine what happens when it's your main teacher.

Anyhoo, this group is a wonderful source of information and support. I encourage you to read through the forums to familiarize yourself with the lingo, the various styles and methods used, the curricula people are recommending, etc. And ask any questions you might think of!

reversemigration
06-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the forum, Krish!

I'm so sorry to hear about your son's teacher passing away; I can only imagine how difficult that must have been for your family. I am sure that he values the time he was able to spend with her and that she'll have a lasting influence on him.

Having a good teacher just makes all the difference in the school experience, too. Max was in a Montessori program for the past 3 years, and beyond the problems he had with bullying at the school, it simply wasn't meeting his needs. I didn't feel like the teachers this year were challenging him, and given the classroom structure, he'd have them for two more years. My wife grew up in Montessori (at the same school actually,) and she had a similar experience with regards to math, in that she continually procrastinated in it and put it off as much as possible.

There are resources out there for incorporating Montessori into homeschooling, and people much better informed than I am about it. I'll see if I can find some interesting links, but I suspect you're already well on your way in that direction if that's your interest. :)

SunshineKris
06-10-2010, 01:46 AM
Hi Krish! I saw your name and it reminded me of a friend I had in school. I would always write my name and last name initial up the page side of my books (always got in trouble for it ;) ) and it looked like KRISH. My friend Chris H used to call me "Krish" because of it. I called him "Chrish" as well! Thanks for the elementary/middle/high school flashback! Is Krish short for something? What a cool name!

And welcome! I'm new to homeschooling as well. We will start around mid-July or so. Very excited! This group of people is very welcoming, and VERY knowledgeable.

Shoe
06-10-2010, 02:55 AM
Welcome to the site, Krish. This is a great place to be.

pandahoneybee
06-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Welcome Krish;)

From MO myself;) (Warrenton for most of my childhood/teenage life) I think that you will love this forum!

StartingOver
06-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Welcome Krish, I am sorry you have had such a rough time lately.

Topsy
06-10-2010, 09:51 AM
So glad you found your way here, Krish (love your name too, btw!). Sounds like you have had quite an educational roller coaster lately. I would have loved to enroll my kids in a Montessori school for a year or two when they were young, but there were none within a close enough driving range. My younger son sounds just like your son - - he HATES being asked to do anything he feels like he will fail at. Homeschooling has been great for that, though. We've had some battles, but over time, I've figured out how to take his lead on what he is willing and able to accomplish, and it has been working very well now.

Be sure to check out our Resource Page (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/192-resources) for some great info for newbies, and lists of resources you may want to check out. I look forward to seeing you often on the forums!

BPier12
06-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi Krish, and welcome! First of all I give you my condolences on the loss of your son's dear teacher. My best friend died of metastatic breast cancer as well so I really empathize with your loss. We are new homeschoolers, too. Our 12 year old son has been in public and private schools all of his life, but we've been talking about homeschooling him since before he was born. This year we've finally decided to take action on it and last Thursday was his last day of brick and mortar school. We're still in "pick subjects, curriculum, style, and try not to freak out" mode! This forum is a great resource with wonderful and knowledgeable people and I hope you find good comfort and support here.

kcanders
06-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi everyone, Thanks for the welcome!

Nathalie, it was quite devastating for my son, actually all of us. I think it was at least 3 months before I could say her name without crying. It was a class of 11 students and most of the work was in very small groups (1-3 students) and her. So they were very close. I'm sorry to hear about your English teacher. I understand about not getting anything done the rest of the year because of the lack of continuity. In this case, there were no lesson plans and 11 students in two different literature groups, 4 different math groups, 3 different geometry groups, 5 different research projects, and 4 different spelling groups. The new teacher was completely lost. Luckily the students new what they needed to do and for the most part did it.

Ben, Thanks for the welcome. Sorry your son had trouble at school. Teachers do make the difference. For all but one of our 7 Montessori years, we had great teachers. Even so, my son is awful at grammar and writing. Some of that is because he has a learning disability, and some because his teacher just didn't work with him in third grade. I know he will really treasure the time he had with his teacher. About a month before she died, I was feeling really sad because he was halfway through his time with her. It was a huge shock when she died. She had a cold the last couple of days before Christmas break, which turned into pneumonia after school was out and it went out of control and she died on Christmas. We left for break thinking she would have a couple weeks to get over her cold and feel better and a week later she had died. It was a horrible shock for everyone.

Again, thanks to everyone for the great welcome. I look forward to getting to know you.

Krish (short for Krishna)

Home-schoolMomma
06-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Hi Krish :)
Welcome !!!!!

ercswf
06-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Hi, I homeschooling for my first year this year as well. AND I also live in Illinois 20-30mins from St. Louis. Sorry you had such a rough time.

kcanders
06-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi! Where in IL are you? We are in Troy. We moved here about 9 years ago and thought we would only be here a couple years. Where does the time go? Good luck homeschooling.

ercswf
06-27-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm in Collinsville. Good luck to you too, have you selected your curriculum yet?

BeverlyM
06-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Love your name! Welcome to the world of homeschool and so sorry to hear about your child and you having to go through such a great loss.