PDA

View Full Version : So here is what I am doing to pull together our Robinson inspired school

Wilma
06-08-2010, 06:02 PM
I have spent the greater part of the day on the computer compiling reading lists. We are covering the Fall of Rome through the Age of Exploration in history next year. While we have a ton a books in this house, there is little on that time period here. It looks like I'll have to purchase some books on that time period. I think we have Adam of the Road and The Door in the Wall and that is about it. Anyhoo, I am also putting the fiction for the girls in some sort of order according to reading level. I have lots of classics from my childhood, Newberry Award winners and ones that just looked interesting at the used booksales and used bookstores.

On another bookshelf, I have put together science and math. Again, I have a ton of science from early elementary through college. Some are secular, some are religious (dh and I want the girls to hear both sides of the debate so they can argue intelligently). Some are texts, some are by individual topics.

I had heard Dr. Robinson does not like science until the student has had calculus, but after viewing his video (http://www.robinsoncurriculum.com/), I see he sees a difference between learning and putzing around with science and actually doing it, which requires knowledge of higher math. I can see a lot of playing around with science in this house.

So, while Dr. Robinson recommends his book list following his idea of how a child is progressing, I am organizing the order of books by what we are studying in co-op. As a result, I will not be using his vocabulary list but will use English from the Roots Up. I also have some grammar laying around that I will use in little bites to round out grammar. Projects will be covered in co-op. Writing will be done daily. The 2 younger ones need some spelling reinforcement so we'll be doing Sequential Spelling.

We like TV, especially the History and Science Channels, so that will stay. We are not schooling 6 days a week, but this will be easy to implement year round.

I'm excited, but all this organizing is going to take forever.:eek:

crazymama
06-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Ahhh the reason I love homeschooling.. find something you like, tear it apart and make into something that fits you perfectly!

Wilma
06-08-2010, 08:25 PM
I think it was more a matter of I had to use all the books I accumulate. I never saw a library book sale or used bookstore I didn't like. I completely forgot I had some of these books. A couple of weeks ago I spent too much time trying to get the best price on a Science Explorer book only to find I already owned it. Very sad.:o

reversemigration
06-08-2010, 08:32 PM
I think it was more a matter of I had to use all the books I accumulate. I never saw a library book sale or used bookstore I didn't like. I completely forgot I had some of these books. A couple of weeks ago I spent too much time trying to get the best price on a Science Explorer book only to find I already owned it. Very sad.:o

Isn't it nice, though, to be so well-stocked? Even if it's not something that's officially included in a reading list, it's there to be tugged off the shelf and browsed. I can remember many lazy afternoons spent rummaging through my parent's shelves for something interesting!

crazymama
06-08-2010, 08:52 PM
I have issues with books.. I am big on yardsaling and bringing home books by the box loads! It's a horrible habit, but has it's benefits as well. We have well over 2,000 books in our house (I am dying for the money to buy one of those book catalogue things with a scanner so I don't have to enter them all in by hand.... just to see how many books I actually have..lol). Some may never be read, but I never pay more than a buck for a book (unless it's something specific I want), so I don't worry. Our town library sucks, we haven't been there in about 4 years now, if we read it, we own it ;)

Wilma
06-08-2010, 09:35 PM
I sometimes look at my books and think of the Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meredith and his broken glasses.

jessicalb
06-08-2010, 10:09 PM
What books do you still need? I know I have a few leftover from when we did Sonlight that the used bookstore here wouldn't take.

Wilma
06-09-2010, 07:07 AM
At this point anything, but especially the Middle Ages. I do have a couple of things from SL covering the MA, but I can't find our copy of Robin Hood. The only one I have is the Pyle version and the language is too difficult for my youngest. Are you offering?

inmom
06-09-2010, 08:07 AM
I sometimes look at my books and think of the Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meredith and his broken glasses.

We thought we were the only ones who rememebered that episode, Time Enough At Last. We rented it for our daughter last year. Her eyesight is sooo bad, she is almost legally blind. However, she is one of the biggest bookworms I've ever known. She is usually reading 10-12 books at a time and always has one with her--even for a 5 minute trip in the car. We're at the library at least 2-3 times a week. She would be soooo lost without her glasses, and thus, her books and reading. That show is Lizzie's horror movie!

BTW, we love your signature. Hubby has turned the kiddos into huge Monty Python fans. At one point when they were about 8 & 9, he thought it would be a good idea to show them "The Search for the Holy Grail," completely forgetting the scene in the castle with all the "maidens." There was a lot of "what was that?" and fast-forwarding going on. Men.......

Wilma
06-09-2010, 09:37 AM
We were talking about showing The Holy Grail to the kids and I was worried about the "huge tracts of land" reference. Dh was also thinking of Life of Brian and then quickly thought better of it, although it is quite funny. Always look on the bright side of life!

Shoe
06-09-2010, 09:47 AM
We were talking about showing The Holy Grail to the kids and I was worried about the "huge tracts of land" reference. Dh was also thinking of Life of Brian and then quickly thought better of it, although it is quite funny. Always look on the bright side of life!

My son has watched both The Holy Grail and the Life of Brian, and loves them. He wants to watch The Meaning of Life, but so far, I've kept him away from that one.

Snoopy
06-09-2010, 09:59 AM
He wants to watch The Meaning of Life, but so far, I've kept him away from that one. I love that movie but I despise you for mentioning it. Now I'm going to be singing "Every Sperm Is Sacred" all.day.long. Thanks a lot, Shoe. lol

Shoe
06-09-2010, 10:17 AM
I love that movie but I despise you for mentioning it. Now I'm going to be singing "Every Sperm Is Sacred" all.day.long. Thanks a lot, Shoe. lol

Well,

Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown,
And things seem hard or tough,
And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft,

And you feel that you've had quite eno-o-o-o-o-ough,

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And reolving at nine thousand miles an hour.
It's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
The sun that is the source of all our power.
Now the sun, and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,
Are moving at a million miles a day,
In the outer spiral arm, at fourteen thousand miles an hour,
Of a galaxy we call the Milky Way.

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred million stars;
It's a hundred thousand light-years side to side;
It bulges in the middle sixteen thousand light-years thick,
But out by us it's just three thousand light-years wide.
We're thirty thousand light-years from Galactic Central Point,
We go 'round every two hundred million years;
And our galaxy itself is one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

Our universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding,
In all of the directions it can whiz;
As fast as it can go, that's the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

Makes you feel so, sort of, insignificant, doesn't it?

Yeah. Yeah. [sniff] Can we have your liver, then?

Yeah. All right. You talked me into it.

jessicalb
06-09-2010, 11:02 AM
At this point anything, but especially the Middle Ages. I do have a couple of things from SL covering the MA, but I can't find our copy of Robin Hood. The only one I have is the Pyle version and the language is too difficult for my youngest. Are you offering?

I just went to check my stash and apparently the book fairies have made off with the ones I was thinking of. I thought I had Catherine Called Birdy, Eagle of the 9th, and a couple of others. Who knows? I am clearly not organized enough.

If I find the ones I am thinking of, I will PM you! :)

Snoopy
06-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Yeah. All right. You talked me into it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

Wilma
06-09-2010, 12:10 PM
I just went to check my stash and apparently the book fairies have made off with the ones I was thinking of. I thought I had Catherine Called Birdy, Eagle of the 9th, and a couple of others. Who knows? I am clearly not organized enough.

If I find the ones I am thinking of, I will PM you! :)

Okey dokey. Thanks!

Wilma
06-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Well, my user name on some boards in Norwegian Blue (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE).

hjdong
06-09-2010, 06:05 PM
BTW, we love your signature. Hubby has turned the kiddos into huge Monty Python fans. At one point when they were about 8 & 9, he thought it would be a good idea to show them "The Search for the Holy Grail," completely forgetting the scene in the castle with all the "maidens." There was a lot of "what was that?" and fast-forwarding going on. Men.......

DH keeps arguing we can show it to DS and fast forward through that part. "It's PG after all." Before PG-13 was invited. There's a reason we have brains.

reversemigration
06-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Well, my user name on some boards in Norwegian Blue (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE).

Always pining for the fjords, I'm sure!

Snoopy
06-09-2010, 11:54 PM
Well, my user name on some boards in Norwegian Blue (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE). Ann, that link doesn't work for me for some reason. Is "Norwegian Blue" the name of the movie I should be searching for on Youtube?

Shoe
06-10-2010, 02:59 AM
Ann, that link doesn't work for me for some reason. Is "Norwegian Blue" the name of the movie I should be searching for on Youtube?

Nathalie, the "Norwegian Blue" refers to the "Dead Parrot" skit from Monty Python's Flying Circus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218).

Wilma
06-10-2010, 10:30 AM
My son has watched both The Holy Grail and the Life of Brian, and loves them. He wants to watch The Meaning of Life, but so far, I've kept him away from that one.

My 13 and 12 yo would totally love Holy Grail, although they would get embarrassed by the one scene in LoB, they would laugh. My 10 yo, OTH, is at the age where she wants to know why everyone is laughing at a joke, and it would just take time away from the movie.

mommykicksbutt
06-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Wilma, this may be a little late but we studied the same time period of my t hen 12 y.o. last year. We used Panda Press History Odyssey with some modifications (such as added our own supplement on the persecution by the church on "Heretic." I could email you my lesson on this is you so wish). Here is a list of books and movies we used as aligned with the lessons: (we read a lot of Shakespeare throughout he year that is not listed here as well). Titles that are italics are books, the rest are movies which we did literary analysis on. We live in very rural Spain with not a lot to do here we really enjoy our movies.

Lesson 4 The Door in the Wall
In the Name of the Rose (1986)

Lesson 14 Beowulf, A New Telling
Beowulf & Grendel (2005)
Beowulf (2007)

Lesson 16 Scotland
Braveheart (1995)

Lesson 21 The Vikings
13th Warrior (1999)
The Vikings (1958)

Lesson 23 The Normans
The Dark Ages (2007) TV

Lesson 25 Knighthood
A Knight's Tale (2001)
Excalibur (1981)

Lesson 27 The Story of King Arthur and his Knights
King Arthur (2004)
Knights of the Round Table (1953)
Monty Python's Holy Grail (1975)

Lesson 34 The Crusades
Kingdom of Heaven (2005)
The History Channel Presents The Crusades - Crescent & The Cross (2005) TV
Ivanhoe (1953)

Lesson 36 The Adventures of Robin Hood
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (1991)
Robin Hood Men in Tights (1993)

Lesson 52 The Hundred Years' War
Henry V (1989)
The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999)

Supplemental Lesson 1- See Supplemental 1 Lesson page for list of Movies

Watch the following five movies in this order:
• Day of Wrath (2006)
• Day of Wrath (1943)
• The Shadow of the Sword
• Soldier of God
• El Cid

Lesson 60 One Thousand and One Arabian Nights
1001 Arabian Nights (1959)

Lesson 62 Russia
Ivan Groznyy I (1944) Russian Part 1

Lesson 69 The Mongols
Mongol (2007) Mongolian
Marco Polo (2007)

Lesson 75 Tales of the Heike
Yojimbo (1961) Japanese
The Seven Samurai (1954) Japanese

Lesson 86 The Incas
Apocalypto (2006)

Lesson 98 European Explorers
1492 - Conquest of Paradise (1992)

Lesson 101 Dutch Independence
Shogun (1980) TV mini-series

Lesson 104 Tudor England
Elizabeth (1998)
Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007)

Lesson 106 France
The Three Musketeers (& Four Musketeers) (1973)
The Man in the Iron Mask (1998)

Lesson 107 The Reformation and Counter-Reformation
Luther (2003)
Just the Facts Learning Series: The Reformation
Queen Christina (1933)

Lesson 110 Renaissance Art, Writings, and Inventions
Just the Facts Learning Series: The Renaissance
Galileo (1975)
The Life of Leonardo Da Vinci (1971) TV

Lesson 111 Shakespeare
Romeo + Juliet (1996)

Lesson 113 Timeline Analysis
Mel Brooke's History of the World Part 1 (1981)