PDA

View Full Version : I'm exhausted and it is only 4pm

warramra
06-08-2010, 04:41 PM
For some reason all my kids woke up at the same time I did this morning, not giving me my precious hour of solitude. We are on our summer routine where all I require is an hour on T4L and 30 minutes of reading...the rest of the day is theirs. So far today we have discussed volcanoes, spines/spinal cord, differences between vertebra animals and invertebrates, the oil spill in the Gulf, the Exxon Valdez oil spill, long-term ecological ramifications of oil spills, Jacques Cousteau (would have been his 100th birthday on Friday), looked up SCUBA gear and how it was different than diving gear prior to 1943, and looked up how much it would cost to take a SCUBA certification course and ages.

Dd10 and dd7 found that someone was selling a 'usable' mermaid tail for ~$300 and then they found online directions for making the mermaid tail themselves. Decided that they wanted to make two tails so have checked prices for material and made a list with prices of what they need. They figure they can make a tail for $35 each.

Dd5, who likes to grow plants and flowers in pots, wanted to paint pictures of her plants. It is really interesting the way she paints her flowers -- they are a mirror image. She paints it so the pot is at the top, upside down, with the flower coming down. Anyway, the planned painting then becomes finger painting which then becomes a total body abstract art.

Ds3 has been seeing how many different things float in the wading pool. I've been checking him at the door to make sure things with batteries stay out of the water.

It has been fun, but I am tired!

Amy

hjdong
06-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Sounds like a great start to your summer, but yeah, a little tiring.

We got a great picture book out of the library about Jasques Costeau, Manfish: A Story of Jasques Costeau, one of the better biographies by far, IMO.

We start break on Fri. I've made a list of activities (simple stuff) because the problem I mostly hear is "I'm booored." Of course, we're visiting my mom and then my sister is visiting, so it will be a while before boredom has a chance to visit. :-)

hockeymom
06-08-2010, 06:55 PM
What an awesome day!

It seems that when I get up early for my much-needed morning quiet time, just me and my coffee and various blogs, my DS wakes up early too. It is not a good way for me to start my day. On Sunday morning we discussed how the first seed evolved, which naturally led to a discussion and reading about the Big Bang and early ocean life before morphing into various conversations about the World Cup (naturally)--all before 8 am.

Don't you love having curious kids! :)

Snoopy
06-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Wow, you guys were busy, but good and interesting busy! I love how your girls researched how to make their own mermaid tails, including the cost.

I love having my "ME" time in the evenings. Usually his bedtime is 8:30 during the week and 10 p.m. on weekends but I just realized that summer break means that all the kids will stay up late every night. The teens won't have a bedtime, really, and Noah will be up until 10 p.m. every night. I'm going to have to make myself a little retreat in my room then! This year I have a laptop AND an iTouch so I should be OK, lol.

We also start our break on Friday officially, although we are on a very light schedule right now. We're done with all our curricula for the year so today I had Noah do some easy math work on time and money in a Disney workbook from the Dollar Tree... well, I thought it would be easy but he had some trouble so now I know we need to do more with time telling, ellapsed time, etc. We have a game called "Race Around the Clock" from Learning Resources that we'll be using this summer.

I've already planned the whole month of June, well a couple of hours a day and the rest of the time is free time and I will limit how much TV he gets to watch. I'm going to try to have "Themed" Days so as to sneak in some learning on most days. Noah already knows he'll have to do a little bit of math everyday and then reading here is a given, they have to read 1 hour per day (for Noah it comes to 3 or 4 chapters, depending on the time of book he reads). We'll do "Artsy-Crafty Mondays" since we have a bunch of artistic and historical projects that we didn't get to this year. On Tuesdays I'll be hosting a "Movie at My House" afternoon where we'll get a newly release and my friends can come and either drop off their kids to go run errands or stay and chat while the kids watch the movie and eat snacks. On Wednesdays we'll have Cooking Academy where I'll teach him how to prepare simple dishes. On Thursdays and Fridays we'll have field trips: playdates, movie theater, Treasure Museum, Chocolate Pizza Maker class, Science Centers, State Parks, bowling, skating, etc. On the weekends we'll go on overnight trips (St Augustine, Sanibel Island). And in there we'll also be fitting Swim League 3 nights a week and horseback riding lessons once a week. I'm pooped by just planning all of this! We'll also have a Family Game Night once a week.

I'll probably run out of steam by the time July rolls around, lol.

jessicalb
06-08-2010, 09:58 PM
I totally need my mornings to myself. When Alex gets up and starts chattering at me at 6:30 in the morning about the GI Joe guy who fought the Dragonball Z character off in Lord of the Rings land I just want to scream! Thankfully he's usually asleep until about 8. :)

inmom
06-08-2010, 10:06 PM
I just wrote my brother telling him I needed a vacation from summer vacation, and it's only been a little over a week. We've taken a trip to a wetlands to study invertebrates, daughter is babysitting once a week (and needs to be driven there and back), both take piano, dd is in softball, both have 4-H workshops and projects to finish for next month, and son is going to 3 camps--again, needing to be driven there.

I need my quiet time in the morning too. I usually head out for a half hour run followed by email, news, and blogs with a couple of cups of coffee. By then, my son will want me to take him for a short job together. Then the rest of the day flies by in a whirl. However, I love our life now. I'd be bored with peace and quiet.

jessicalb
06-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Then the rest of the day flies by in a whirl. However, I love our life now. I'd be bored with peace and quiet.

So true. I had this idea that we would have a quiet homebody kind of life when I brought Alex home from school. I figured a weekly park day would be the max we were out of the house besides running errands and hitting the library.

Turns out we are constantly busy and on the run to this and that and our days are so full and we interact with so many people - it's a great life. :)