PDA

View Full Version : Chimpanzee

dbmamaz
04-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Disney put out a really big teachers package to go with the movie - a 135 pdf teaching guide, power points, sound clips, all free.

http://disney.go.com/disneynature/chimpanzee/#/movies/chimpanzee/education

We saw the movie today (because if you go this week, disney donates money for chimp causes) and both boys really enjoyed it! (i'm not sure the other 15 ppl in the theater did as much - they werent expecting chatterboxes and 'shhhh!' in the theater at 2:15 in the afternoon!)

in case you dont know, its a real wildlife adventure story about a chimp who is orphaned and adopted by the alpha male of the group - something i dont believe has been observed before.

Staysee34
04-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Cara, in case you haven't been told lately, YOU ROCK!! I was looking for something to finish out science for the year and this is perfect! Impeccable timing. Thanks!!

dbmamaz
04-23-2012, 08:30 PM
um, thanks!

Munchie33
04-23-2012, 08:55 PM
This is fantastic! I've just finished a big unit with my children on human and primate evolution (if anyone wants it, lesson plans and resources and all, I'm eager to share). This will round off Jane Goodall and David Attenborough perfectly.

wife&mommy
04-23-2012, 09:28 PM
We are supposed to go see it on Wednesday. I have seen the packet, but have since forgotten, so thanks! LOL

allmimsy
04-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Oh! We saw the movie yesterday. How great to know there is an educational guide to go with it! We spent most of the evening googling the differences between monkeys and apes and trying to learn more about chimpanzees. My 6 1/2 year old son is currently fast asleep with his two stuffed monkeys in his arms... My kids will love this!

mom2samtheman
05-03-2012, 06:56 AM
Great, great movie. Saw it a few days ago. :)

crunchymum
05-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Disney put out a really big teachers package to go with the movie - a 135 pdf teaching guide, power points, sound clips, all free.

http://disney.go.com/disneynature/chimpanzee/#/movies/chimpanzee/education

Thanks for sharing!

Peaceful
05-03-2012, 02:36 PM
We are working our way through the packet. My son is loving it. I'm going to look at the study guides from previous years to use for next year. I think having the movie at the end is great incentive.

dbmamaz
05-03-2012, 03:28 PM
I actually just did the first lesson today, my son was very happy! i am very pleased with the quality!

Stella M
05-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Could someone let me know how this movie ends ? is there a lot of sadness ? I can't do sad chimps.

dbmamaz
05-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Around 2/3 through, the mother chimp dies, but we dont see it at all. We are told that some of the chimps have been killed by a (cheetah?) and we see a few shots of the cat hunting at night. Then we see the young chimp all alone, and he's losing weight and all the moms reject him. but then the LEAD MALE OF THE PACK ends up adopting him - unheard of! there are some amazing scenes of the male just cuddling and grooming the young chimp. and then he still manages to beat the rival leader out of his territory. so its a very happy ending.

Stella M
05-03-2012, 08:12 PM
OK, thanks for that.

wife&mommy
05-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah my kids are super sensitive and I was kind of worried about it, but they did fine with this movie and really loved it.

mom2samtheman
05-03-2012, 10:13 PM
I was worried too, but we went ahead and saw it anyway. My son is 11 but super sensitive about death etc. It is done in such a subtle not in your face kind of way, it was perfect. My son is aware that the mom died, but idk if he realized it was killed. It is done in such a way that kids may not even pick up on how or why the mom died. And the death and hunting aspects are like such a minor part of the movie. It was well worth it for us. My son can'thandle any violence or animals dying at all and he LOVED this movie. :)

JenniferJ
05-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks for this!! we havent seen the movie, but i plan on it and this is perfect! i have downloaded the material and cant wait to get started!! i love how helpful this site has been! :)

Deb417
05-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks SO much for this!! We are looking at going this weekend--my kids LOVE nature/animals etc...My middle child says Jane Goodall is her hero--and this will be so helpful!

Yay!!!