PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about homeschooling in Texas

jennykay
06-07-2010, 09:49 PM
I have two children, with the oldest scheduled to start public kindergarten in the fall. She loves learning and I can't stop thinking that I could provide a more enriching environment for her than the local school. Actually, just thinking about her being there for 7 hours makes me cringe. I'm also a bit overwhelmed with all the info out there and choices when it comes to homeschooling! I'm looking forward to getting to know many of you as I start down this journey.

Topsy
06-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Welcome to the site, jennykay! I'm glad you found us. Wow...that is a tough decision you are facing. I just always tell parents in your position to focus on the needs of the child. In other words, take your own fears out of the equation as much as possible and focus on your little girl...where is she going to thrive most? If you are pretty certain that she will be happier and more fulfilled at home, then you may have already answered your question! :) We have lots of great folks around here who are ready and willing to offer their support and encouragement. Also be sure to check out our resource page (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/192-resources) which has some wonderful info for new homeschoolers!

Shoe
06-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the site jennykay. I wish that I had started homeschooling in kindergarten with my kids-it just didn't seem possible back then. We decided to pull our son out of school this past year for a variety of reasons, but it seemed like the lesser of two evils, rather than something that we wanted to do. That is, at the time. Now, I'm so happy that we began with him that our daughter will be coming home next year as well, and I'm very excited about it.

The amount and variety of information and curricula out there is overwhelming, but this is a great site for support and information, so don't despair. Best of luck with it all, and relax-kids are amazingly resilient and I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Snoopy
06-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Hi Jennykay, welcome to the group! You're right, it's a little overwhelming when you first get started because of the sheer volume of information out there... styles, methods, curricula... it's like learning a foreign languaqe at first! I would advise to read as many of the old threads on your forums as possible to familiarize yourself with all the "lingo" and various choices out there and then ask many MANY questions! There are no dumb questions and we have all been where you are, wondering the same things, and glad that someone took the time to answer our most inane questions back then! There isn't a better bunch of people to poll, IMO. Our members are wonderfully supportive and knowledgeable.

schwartzkari
06-08-2010, 12:03 AM
The good news is that Texas is a very easy state to homeschool in!
Welcome to the group, I joined in May and I've already learned so much. Great group of people to converse with :)

StartingOver
06-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Welcome to the forum from another Texan. At least you picked a great state. ;-) Homeschooling here is so easy.

SunshineKris
06-08-2010, 05:13 AM
Welcome! I wish we had done homeschool earlier, though we would have missed out on a truly fantastic teacher at our public school in Spain. I am just starting as well and I have found this forum to be full of great people with wonderful ideas and support. And no two families do homeschool the same, so don't worry about that. Good luck!

Melissa541
06-09-2010, 06:33 PM
We're homeschooling in Texas. Infact, we started homeschooling for one of the reasons you mentioned: I couldn't get my head 'round the fact that I was going to be sending my 5 year old away for 7 hours a day. So I didn't. :) We did try PS for first grade, but came back to homeschooling.

It'll take some time to absorb & find your way, but it's a fantastically fun path. :)